PSA: You're the reason 996TTs are so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
And where are all these cheap track builds?
Who said anything about cheap track builds?
Old 04-29-2016, 01:48 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy your car. Enjoy your car. Use up your car.
Unless it's Steve McQueen's 904, or was the millionth 911, signed by every LeMans winner since 1960: It's just. A. Car.
If you spend too much time analyzing the cost:return ratio of new stainless mufflers or this or that widget, it's probably money you ought not spend because you'll NEVER GET IT BACK.

Put your incremental serious money into safe investments, like Greek bonds, or Peabody Coal, or Apple.
What could possibly go wrong?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:07 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

We're kind of like all the people who went to highschool with (insert hot famous chick here) and brag about how we banged her before she was famous.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Buy your car. Enjoy your car. Use up your car.
Unless it's Steve McQueen's 904, or was the millionth 911, signed by every LeMans winner since 1960: It's just. A. Car.
If you spend too much time analyzing the cost:return ratio of new stainless mufflers or this or that widget, it's probably money you ought not spend because you'll NEVER GET IT BACK.

Put your incremental serious money into safe investments, like Greek bonds, or Peabody Coal, or Apple.
What could possibly go wrong?
lest we forget the iraqui dinar!! LOL..

i agree with all that say drive them and to hell with the cost up/down or sideways. i'm at 135k miles and my only hope is that i get at least another 135k under my watchful ownership. my only regret is not hanging onto my lil 993.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To me its not about how much I can get for my car but how consistently the posts are about getting a cheap car or how to weasel down the price and not about how to get a really nice example and maintain it. My car was never an investment and will spend considerably more on my next car that wont be one either. I would never buy a toy unless I could pay cash and care less about a return. Its nice to know in parting with my 996tt that at least a few here somewhat agree with my thoughts.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
What's that got to do with my post??
If you don't understand that I can't help you.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
The only time Im thinking about the value of the car is when Im paying to fix it!

Other than that Im just thinking about what an awesome car it is.
That is a perfect state of mind.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
If you don't understand that I can't help you.
But I do understand... Your post had nothing to do with my post.
Old 04-29-2016, 02:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
But I do understand... Your post had nothing to do with my post.
No, it did. If you don't understand that then I can't help you.
Old 04-29-2016, 04:12 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
If a lot of buyers weren't like old ladies wanting fresh French pastries for the price of week old bread it would be easier to take lol. Its exactly as mentioned in that if they have heard you can buy for x you must sell for x= they can kiss my a. Luckily it seems I have a buyer that is serious and is willing to work with me and I will try my best to be fair.
Or, even better, if we would all just drive the **** out of our cars and enjoy them while we can, there wouldn't be this crazy subculture of low mileage zealots who seem to think that anything over 20k miles on a 15 year old car means that car is totally used up. As long as there is a wide dispersion of cars there will be a wide dispersion of prices.

I saw the same thing when I owned my 95 NSX - they got to a price point where they were an alternative to a new Civic, and lots of people bought in only to mod, desecrate, and hack those cars to death. That market is just now on the upswing.

Easiest way to protect the value is to not sell at below market prices. Too bad more people won't adhere to this idea.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:08 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

NSX.S have been desirable for quite a while, of course its hard to find a nice one. I do not drive the **** out of any of my cars but that doesn't mean others shouldn't. I have high mile cars and love them but realize they are worth comparatively little= just the car game. There are different strokes for different folks and say what you like but every car guy loves seeing a low mile beauty at a car show etc so the low mile zealots have their place also.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:22 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
No, it did.
No it didn't.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:27 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
To me its not about how much I can get for my car but how consistently the posts are about getting a cheap car or how to weasel down the price and not about how to get a really nice example and maintain it. My car was never an investment and will spend considerably more on my next car that wont be one either. I would never buy a toy unless I could pay cash and care less about a return. Its nice to know in parting with my 996tt that at least a few here somewhat agree with my thoughts.
This is a public forum where ANYBODY can sign up and ask a question. What do you expect the majority of purchasing threads to be about on an internet forum? Would you like for every post to be sent to you for pre-approval since you are the center of attention at PCA meet and greets? I am not a fan of folks that come on here an post about how little the 996tt they are bidding on is worth and try and nickle and dime the cost down, but those are the same people that post on here 6 months later because the budget 996tt they purchased ended up needing 6K in immediate maintenance. I just happen to think those posts rank just behind (in front of) the posts of a select few judgmental folks on this forum that reek of condescending INDIGNATION when they pick other new posters apart.

I for one am not the saddest that RMC is moving on, but respect everyone has an opinion on here and the MIXTURE of opinions is what makes forums worth reading. Even twenty somethings trying to maintain their newly purchased 996tt's on a budget have something (MANY THINGS) beneficial to offer our community, sometimes they even offer more than the folks that purchased these rare supercar commodities NEW and have been posting ever since....
Old 04-29-2016, 05:43 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

If you believed half of what you wrote you would appreciate my opinions. Never been to any PCA meet and greets and do not care if your a fan.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I am not a fan of folks that come on here an post about how little the 996tt they are bidding on is worth and try and nickle and dime the cost down, but those are the same people that post on here 6 months later because the budget 996tt they purchased ended up needing 6K in immediate maintenance.
But that's part of what Randy and I (and some others) are talking about

Quick Reply: PSA: You're the reason 996TTs are so cheap