PSA: You're the reason 996TTs are so cheap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
There is some truth in that.

Of course this "Buy the cheapest 996 Turbo" forum doesn't help any. It seems that for many people the 996 Turbo has become the ***** of the Porsche lineup, where the objective is to get in it as cheap as possible, have your way with it (modify it/track it/gut it, and/or generally beat the crap out of it) with the objective of just selling it after a relatively short period of ownership.
You forgot the part where those same people then bemoan the lowball offers they get from cheapskate follow-on buyers who learned on an internet forum that the can get a 996tt garage queen for $20k.

They demand that they won't pay a penny more ... It has to be true ....they learned it on the internet!
Old 04-29-2016, 09:55 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i would posit the percentage of people that buy this car them mod the hell out of it then sell it are never doing so because they want to, but rather they may have bitten more than they can chew. again, tires are still $544.00 each if you like ps2's and i noticed a few years ago, as they had been touching their bottom in price, that people were getting into them without having a clue that in may ways it's cheaper to maintain a new 991tts with a factory warranty than it is one of these. because in order that these remain in tip top shape ( or perfect mechanical reliability, pick your language ) one has to stay far ahead preemptively of their maint intervals and nothing is "cheap" on these cars.

so lots of young turks with their choice of a new 335i or a used porsche turbo opted for the marquee brand since it IS a "super car" without really anticipating fully or accurately the costs they would incur to keep them at their peak level of performance.

the guys that say they spend 1k a year to maintain them, well i say they are either very lucky or only driving them 1k MILES a year.

that's the phenomenon i have noticed for quite some time. in my business, it for me is analogous to digital technology that is allowing people to make records that might actually better serve us all by only listening.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:29 AM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Agree

They buy the cheap internet 'deals' and quickly find out that with these cars you have two choices:

Pay Now
= Buy a well cared for 996tt and you WILL pay for that privilege. (Hint ... it will be more than $20k)

Pay Later = Once you pay just to get your bargain running reliably and then pay to bring it up to standard cosmetically then pay even more to get the stock performance that you were supposed to get with this supercar ... You just paid the Pay Now price.

At the end of the day, you spent the same amount of money.

Or ... you realize you are in over your head and flip it to the next Craigslist bottom feeder.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:51 AM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 114 Posts

We could drive the prices up kind of like what they did with the Arabian horse market in the 80s-90s. I will buy your car from you 02 with 75K on it for $80K and you buy my 02 with 50K on it for $85K. Then we do it again. Perhaps the amount we can drive up prices will out pace the sales tax we pay. Back in the 90s we got a free (no such thing as a free horse) $40K Arabian from a relative that got sucked up in the end stages of the Arabian bubble.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:16 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
There is some truth in that.

Of course this "Buy the cheapest 996 Turbo" forum doesn't help any. It seems that for many people the 996 Turbo has become the ***** of the Porsche lineup, where the objective is to get in it as cheap as possible, have your way with it (modify it/track it/gut it, and/or generally beat the crap out of it) with the objective of just selling it after a relatively short period of ownership.

Our cars are meant to be driven. Not polished. - Ferry Porsche

The Porsche embodies my philosophy of individual freedom of motion – which should serve humanity, not burden it. - Ferry Porsche

The 911 is the only car that you can take from an African safari to Le Mans, then to the theatre, and after that, drive on the streets of New York. - Ferry Porsche
Old 04-29-2016, 11:22 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If a lot of buyers weren't like old ladies wanting fresh French pastries for the price of week old bread it would be easier to take lol. Its exactly as mentioned in that if they have heard you can buy for x you must sell for x= they can kiss my a. Luckily it seems I have a buyer that is serious and is willing to work with me and I will try my best to be fair.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:43 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Well 928's are now selling for $52,000, so maybe there's still hope in the future for the 996TT.

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1986-5-porsche-928s/
Old 04-29-2016, 11:47 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes very true the 928 is finally getting some of the love it deserves= great car.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:56 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

well hell.. then forget anything i may have said previously. if 928's are pushing 52k?

then every one of us is currently holding onto a future million dollar steve mqueen 930 turbo lol
Old 04-29-2016, 12:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera

The 911 is the only car that you can take from an African safari to Le Mans, then to the theatre, and after that, drive on the streets of New York. - Ferry Porsche
love those quotes. i have no doubt i could dakkar rallye my car or baja one thousand it.. and it has still gotten me many after dinner *******. porsches vibrate and chicks still dig em lol
Old 04-29-2016, 12:09 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
I bet less than .996 percent of 996 turbo owners come here let alone post here. We are merely entertaining ourselves.
Originally Posted by Berra
Every high performance car that depreciate enough goes through this, and it really is sad.

BMW M, Audi RS and AMG goes through the same thing, young buyers trying to get into a car which they later on don't take care of, they just wanna be able to say that they own this and that but honestly, they have no clue whatsoever.
Concur with both. The 996TT is simply going through the typical depreciation-appreciation life cycle that nearly all sports cars that were produced in any significant number experience. Here's an article about it with a nice, simple graph to visualize it:
https://totallythatstupid.com/2012/0...ciation-curve/

The good news is that it does appear that we are at the bottom of the depreciation curve - it seems there is universal agreement on that. How soon and how quickly prices begin to escalate is anybody's guess.

I just plan to drive mine and enjoy it. I've put over 4,000 miles on it since I bought it a little over 5 months ago. I plan to keep it forever, so the value in today's market is irrelevant to me. Same goes for my 951 (bought 5 years ago) and 928S4 (bought 2 years ago).

I'm sure I'll buy additional Porsches in the future, but I'll keep these 3 and just add to them. My one Porsche regret is selling the 964 back in 2008 (bought in 2003) - I wish I had just held onto it as I sold it for $15,600 and it would be worth far more now. I would say the same about the '99 C4 aero coupe (bought in 2013), but to a lesser extent because the 996TT really was a replacement for it.

I am also quite certain that whatever future Porsches I buy will also be bought at the bottom of the curve, just like the 5 previous purchases. They are fantastic cars, and purchased at the right time, they are actually a nice place to park some money. Although not bought for investment purposes, I feel like I could easily sell any of the 3 current cars and get as much or more than what I paid for them should the need ever arise.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:26 PM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Lately it seems most of the discussions on rennlist are about "market value". Whatever happened to enjoying our cars for what they are? I'm starting to wonder if the majority are more interested in "flipping cars" for profits than actually being enthusiast about the model they bought. I have a whole range of different cars in my collection and I could care less what other people think about the cars I buy. Life is too short to wonder what people think.

Last edited by Dan87951; 04-29-2016 at 02:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:55 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

The only time Im thinking about the value of the car is when Im paying to fix it!

Other than that Im just thinking about what an awesome car it is.
Old 04-29-2016, 01:19 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Porsche embodies my philosophy of individual freedom of motion – which should serve humanity, not burden it. - Ferry Porsche

And where are all these cheap track builds? I don't see them, we have seen builds by people very passionate about their turbos which in the end costing as much as the car did new, these are usually top notch builds using the best of what Porsche and the the aftermarket have to offer making these cars into beasts. We see people do motor builds for 1/2 mile and 1 mile events where the drive train cost as much as a 997 turbo. I'm a certified PCA instructor and race and do TT with NASA and I don't see any "bottom feeders" racing or doing track days in clapped out 996turbos, I do see happy enthusiast in modded 930's, 993turbos 996s 997s and 991's of every variety and cups enjoying their cars and learning the craft of driving and maintaining their cars. I applaud all of the above. Anybody who can buy a used 996tt for 40K+ with cash and put in 20-30k in mods could have any car in their garage they wanted, especially if they just wanted to look at it sit there. The value of this platform is more realized when they are driven
Old 04-29-2016, 01:28 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

What's that got to do with my post??

Quick Reply: PSA: You're the reason 996TTs are so cheap