Sponsored by:

So I have a PPI dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 02:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by greencalex
You can say such things. You can have them written down. You can have all parties sign something.

The world is littered with bankrupt people who were submarined by a court deciding that a signed agreement was not valid (there are lots of reasons that this can be the determination, not the least of which being inconsistency with state-level consumer protection laws).

And even if a contract did hold-up, this does not mean that one wants to deal with the costs/hassles of a court case.

As I said, it is not uncommon to find that a shop won't do PPIs on high-end cars...

no auto shop on the third rock from the sun is going to sign anything making them responsible for their assessment of a vehicle as a third party.

warranties implied or written having to do with a dealer selling the car and making claims as to its "worthiness and reliability" are quite another matter.

the gentleman who initially posited the question has now stated he is unable to look at the car owing to his lack of proximity to it. that makes his reliance on a third party inspection that much more fraught with uncertainty as not only will he not know the car!!

he won't even "know" the folks he pays to look at it. such are the inherent ( potential ) pitfalls of buying a car sight unseen.

add to that, i'm not even sure that your characterization of a 996 turbo as a "high end vehicle" is even accurate any longer. once, sure. now they are just used cars.

25-50K are NOT or are no longer high end cars. they were when new, i'll give you that. also, i'm certain that if he were in LA or any large metro area and he was able to get the car to the "shop" to inspect it, he'd have no trouble finding a place to take his $300/400 for this "PPI". further, the shop would already KNOW they would bear no liability financial or otherwise even if they claimed the car were like new, while it wasn't.

again, do not confuse DEALER/SELLER responsibility with an independent third party inspection, and any liability arising from THEIR assessment of the vehicle in question. as there is none!
Old 04-26-2016, 03:00 PM
Alan A
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
the gentleman who initially posited the question has now stated he is unable to look at the car owing to his lack of proximity to it. that makes his reliance on a third party inspection that much more fraught with uncertainty as not only will he not know the car!!

he won't even "know" the folks he pays to look at it. such are the inherent ( potential ) pitfalls of buying a car sight unseen.
and there in a nutshell is my issue.

add to that, i'm not even sure that your characterization of a 996 turbo as a "high end vehicle" is even accurate any longer. once, sure. now they are just used cars.
My VW cost more than pretty much any regular 996TT around today.
But that came new. With a warranty.

You get the idea.

This wasn't meant to start a pissing contest. I just wondered if people would buy based on a visual inspection rather than something a bit more thorough is all.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:10 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by Alan A
and there in a nutshell is my issue.

My VW cost more than pretty much any regular 996TT around today.
But that came new. With a warranty.

You get the idea.

This wasn't meant to start a pissing contest. I just wondered if people would buy based on a visual inspection rather than something a bit more thorough is all.
i bought my 2nd 996 turbo after a 10 minute drive on our world famous mulholland drive. but i knew and trusted the seller and he in fact gave me a verbal 90 warranty on ANYthing that might go wrong and while mine is ultra hi miles now, it's as reliable and roadworthy as anyones here owing i'm certain to my highly obsessive maintainance of it. that made my decision to take the car without a professional look at it all that much easier.

yours is a wholly different dilemma.

btw.

there is no pissing match at all. i post what i know and at times conjecture. but everything i posted in your thread i "know" to be true. but i rarely "take the ****" anyway lol.

i wish you luck. some have scored some have not. personally? i'm not so sure i could buy sight unseen, even while admitting this is no longer a "high end sports car"

as i noted earlier, it once was and the parts and labor are still exactly what they cost 15 years ago, so erring on the side of caution is hardly a mistake. good luck with this.

add: i also have a vw. i say i am a "three turbo" family lol
Old 04-26-2016, 03:13 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no auto shop on the third rock from the sun is going to sign anything making them responsible for their assessment of a vehicle as a third party.

(snip)

(snip)

again, do not confuse DEALER/SELLER responsibility with an independent third party inspection, and any liability arising from THEIR assessment of the vehicle in question. as there is none!
I did not mean that the inspector ever willingly takes on liability. What I am pointing out that (in our legal system) saying that you have no liability and even having the customer agree that you have no liability (even in writing) does not mean that you are free from all liability risk. It is just the unfortunate reality.

I also did not mean to imply that 996TTs quality as high-end cars. When I used that term I was thinking of 7-figure vehicles. All I was saying was that at a certain level of valuation, many shops start refusing to do PPIs at all, because they don't want to deal with any potential litigation.

For the same reason, some shops won't do any disassembly for a PPI...

Your last statement might seem very self-evident, but it is not completely true, and I was just pointing out that even if it is close to being true, it is not unreasonable for a shop to choose to be paranoid about such things.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:18 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

i wholly disagree with your position in your first paragraph but out of respect for the OP and the fact that it's not my day to nitpick ( though i'm confident i could ) i'll try and take the high road with you and civility will rule the day. so, that's cool. your view of this topic, i mean. cheers.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:30 PM
greencalex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wholly disagree with your position in your first paragraph but out of respect for the OP and the fact that it's not my day to nitpick ( though i'm confident i could ) i'll try and take the high road with you and civility will rule the day. so, that's cool. your view of this topic, i mean. cheers.
Sure we can agree to disagree.

Again, I'm just repeating (for the curious) the rational that was given to me by a number of shops regarding what they will/won't do regarding PPI requests...

Quick Reply: So I have a PPI dilemma