Sponsored by:

Stiff steering after shock replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2024, 04:19 AM
frederik
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Stiff steering after shock replacement

I just picked up my 996 TT from my shop after having the shocks and engine mounts replaced (with the original Porsche items). It rides much better now, but the steering seems heavier and stiffer than before. Is it possible that something was tightened too much? Or should this loosen up over time? The front top mounts were replaced last year and that resulted in much nicer, lighter steering.

It also feels like the shifter is stiffer than before, but this, and even the steering, could also be a figment of my imagination. Curious to see if anyone can shed a light on this!
Old 04-12-2024, 09:37 AM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by frederik
I just picked up my 996 TT from my shop after having the shocks and engine mounts replaced (with the original Porsche items). It rides much better now, but the steering seems heavier and stiffer than before. Is it possible that something was tightened too much? Or should this loosen up over time? The front top mounts were replaced last year and that resulted in much nicer, lighter steering.

It also feels like the shifter is stiffer than before, but this, and even the steering, could also be a figment of my imagination. Curious to see if anyone can shed a light on this!
With any and all due respect, I think you are just attributing to "new" parts that which would noticeably "improve" the ride quality. It is a phenomenon familiar to most all of us, that helps make us feel it was money well spent though it usually is, whether we "feel it" or not.

The coilovers would definitely change the ride quality and if adjusted to your "liking" then you'd notice "improvements". You'd also notice if the settings were too firm and hence "not" to your liking = "stiff/harsh". But you did say "shocks" so scratch that! The motor mounts, or top mounts wouldn't change much ( at least to me ) in terms of ride quality, particularly if you swapped out "old" for "new" but stayed with "OEM". The "shifter" should not feel different at all although if you had swapped out a trans mount for the superceded 997 T--mount? then sure. It would all feel "tighter" than the car with a worn t-mount. Motor mounts transmit NVH into the cabin and it feels like driveline, but old V new ... I dunno. I went to semi-solids. Those you can "feel/hear" as being "different". Stock OEM parts? Well, the old stuff would need to have been completely shot for new to be dramatically different.

So could be as you suggest, or perhaps not so much, as per above. Either way - Enjoy the "refresh"!

Last edited by Lazurus; 04-12-2024 at 09:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2024, 10:28 AM
QwikKotaTX
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
With any and all due respect, I think you are just attributing to "new" parts that which would noticeably "improve" the ride quality. It is a phenomenon familiar to most all of us, that helps make us feel it was money well spent though it usually is, whether we "feel it" or not.

The coilovers would definitely change the ride quality and if adjusted to your "liking" then you'd notice "improvements". You'd also notice if the settings were too firm and hence "not" to your liking = "stiff/harsh". But you did say "shocks" so scratch that! The motor mounts, or top mounts wouldn't change much ( at least to me ) in terms of ride quality, particularly if you swapped out "old" for "new" but stayed with "OEM". The "shifter" should not feel different at all although if you had swapped out a trans mount for the superceded 997 T--mount? then sure. It would all feel "tighter" than the car with a worn t-mount. Motor mounts transmit NVH into the cabin and it feels like driveline, but old V new ... I dunno. I went to semi-solids. Those you can "feel/hear" as being "different". Stock OEM parts? Well, the old stuff would need to have been completely shot for new to be dramatically different.

So could be as you suggest, or perhaps not so much, as per above. Either way - Enjoy the "refresh"!
I believe he is talking about the upper shock mounts, not motor mounts. Some call them bearing mounts.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:03 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
I believe he is talking about the upper shock mounts, not motor mounts. Some call them bearing mounts.
I mentioned to the OP my take replacing the top mounts. It stops crunching/squeaks if they had been worn. Ride quality? I have never noticed any difference btw "old" v "new". Just eliminates full lock "crunching" etc. He also mentioned motor mounts as he has changed those. I initially read and thought he had installed coilovers. Upon my 2nd read, post coffee, I see he replaced the "shocks".

"The motor mounts, or top mounts wouldn't change much ( at least to me ) in terms of ride quality, particularly if you swapped out "old" for "new" but stayed with "OEM".

Last edited by Lazurus; 04-12-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:48 PM
QwikKotaTX
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Lazurus
I mentioned to the OP my take replacing the top mounts. It stops crunching/squeaks if they had been worn. Ride quality? I have never noticed any difference btw "old" v "new". Just eliminates full lock "crunching" etc. He also mentioned motor mounts as he has changed those. I initially read and thought he had installed coilovers. Upon my 2nd read, post coffee, I see he replaced the "shocks".

"The motor mounts, or top mounts wouldn't change much ( at least to me ) in terms of ride quality, particularly if you swapped out "old" for "new" but stayed with "OEM".
Dangit, I'm blind. I also didn't have enough coffee. There bearings for the top strut mounts. Not sure if new struts would make them rotate less freely if the mount was over-torqued?
Old 04-12-2024, 01:27 PM
frederik
Racer

So, the front top mounts were replaced 1.5 years ago because steering didn't feel right -- it was much nicer afterwards. Obviously that didn't affect ride quality.

Now, I decided it was time to replace the engine mounts and front/rear shocks. I didn't want a full aftermarket coilover setup because I want to retain the usable feel that makes the 996 TT such a good daily. I don't want racier suspension, it's just that 23-year old shocks and engine mounts are worn. I can definitely feel the difference, the car is much more tightly controlled now.

However, it feels to me that steering is now stiffer which is NOT what I would expect.

Not sure if new struts would make them rotate less freely if the mount was over-torqued?
This is exactly what I'm thinking of.

Last edited by frederik; 04-12-2024 at 01:29 PM.
Old 04-12-2024, 02:02 PM
Lazurus
Racer

Originally Posted by QwikKotaTX
Dangit, I'm blind. I also didn't have enough coffee. There bearings for the top strut mounts. Not sure if new struts would make them rotate less freely if the mount was over-torqued?
All good by now. I'm on my fourth cup.

OP. I've never had "stiff" steering, that is any different from what I expect. I have however been strangely low on fluid before absent a noticeable fluid leak from the usual hydraulically shared culprits, but only to the degree I heard a bit of "fluid starved whining" but no impact other than a slight "whine". As to the top mounts. I've never done anything other than replace them as a bolt in item. Those things have sure gone up in cost, but then, what hasn't!

@frederik What dampers did you replace? Bilstein b6 or b4's?

Last edited by Lazurus; 04-12-2024 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2024, 07:45 AM
frederik
Racer

We ordered them from Porsche. According to my shop, they have slightly different valving from what Bilstein offers directly and not much more expensive.

Quick Reply: Stiff steering after shock replacement