Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 TT purchase value/investment

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 01:37 AM
motts
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 44 Posts

Since you are not going to be driving it maybe invest in parts. I am paying through the nose for 964 parts. Find the latest build TTS. So far none later than May of 2005(my car)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:38 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
Based on your "Factory Aero Kit" description, I was expecting the factory Aerokit front lip.
Logic never escapes you I see...

"'01 Biarritz white 996 TT, Factory Aero Kit, Toth Splitter, 6 Speed"
Old 04-28-2016, 10:41 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJB
Logic never escapes you I see...

Thank goodness.
Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

haha did you say investment.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:42 AM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
haha did you say investment.
What I don't get...I could point to at least 3 people I know that bought various Porsches over the last 10 years who have done very well. Why is this so crazy? I could point to as many stocks that tanked OR did well...the difference though is the ones that did well, capital gains with the Medicare tickler = cuts into profits. Cmon guys.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:30 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts
Default 996 TT purchase value/investment

Originally Posted by Saoirse32
What I don't get...I could point to at least 3 people I know that bought various Porsches over the last 10 years who have done very well. Why is this so crazy? I could point to as many stocks that tanked OR did well...the difference though is the ones that did well, capital gains with the Medicare tickler = cuts into profits. Cmon guys.
You're right that all those "just buy stocks, they've gone up x%" comments are extremely naive. But at least with stocks you're buying shares of companies that make or sell stuff and get paid for it.

With a car, you're betting that the next guy is gonna want that car more badly than you. That's not a great investment proposition, without even getting into the cost of carry, sales tax, etc.

Last edited by Freddie Two Bs; 05-01-2016 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:45 PM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
You're right that all those "just buy stocks, they've gone up x" are extremely naive. But at least with stocks you're buying shares of companies that make or sell stuff and get paid for it.

With a car, you're betting that the next guy is gonna want that car more badly than you. That's not a great investment proposition, without even getting into the cost of carry, sales tax, etc.
Good point, I agree. I guess my point was it has a good chance of appreciating well, but many will poo poo that because it's a car.
Old 05-01-2016, 02:32 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

I consider this car an investment in smiling, that is it's main value currently. Doing some new UMW turbos really helps too
Old 05-01-2016, 03:18 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

did someone just say they knew of THREE people that bought porsche's in the last ten years and all MADE MONEY when selling? i call BS.

or perhaps i misread, or misunderstood. but i don't think so.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:58 PM
Saoirse32
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
did someone just say they knew of THREE people that bought porsche's in the last ten years and all MADE MONEY when selling? i call BS.

or perhaps i misread, or misunderstood. but i don't think so.
Ok, so does 4k+ posts allow you to act trollish on this forum? Call it BS all you want, it's true. And, I didn't even include my friend who owns a local shop that buys and sells turbos for a profit all the time. I'll save you the trouble, you didn't misunderstand at all, just being provocative I guess. It's all good - You stay away from the quality 996TTs in SoCal, so when I see one at a good price, I'll have one less prospective buyer with whom to compete.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:42 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Ok, so does 4k+ posts allow you to act trollish on this forum? Call it BS all you want, it's true.
it neither allows nor disallows me of anything. but what is "trollish" exactly?

i doubted the validity of what ( was it you? ) someone posited re any gain made on flipping three separate porsches as it flies in the face of my many years of owning motor vehicles, many of them porsches.

has absolutely nothing to do with "post count". but i'm williing to learn, if you can enlighten me. just know i'll never believe you have three friends that all bought porsches and them turned around and sold them for a profit.

yeah, i call BS. it either is or it isn't. but it ultimately matters not.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:31 AM
Saoirse32
Instructor

You, sir, are acting like a forum troll. You've been around long enough to know what that means, just like you know I was the one who posted I knew of three people. You can sneeze in Southern California and know people who have done well (Funny, because one of them is my neighbor). I can't help it if you've not done well with your vehicles, perhaps it's a personal problem? I posted what I thought was a thought-provoking thread, one that has actually produced some good conversation. I hope your behavior isn't indicative of this forum. I'm just a regular guy with a hearty love for 911s. Now, let me go take a sleeping pill because I might be up all night stressing over the fact you'll never believe me...:

UOTE="02996ttx50;13249703]it neither allows nor disallows me of anything. but what is "trollish" exactly?

i doubted the validity of what ( was it you? ) someone posited re any gain made on flipping three separate porsches as it flies in the face of my many years of owning motor vehicles, many of them porsches.

has absolutely nothing to do with "post count". but i'm williing to learn, if you can enlighten me. just know i'll never believe you have three friends that all bought porsches and them turned around and sold them for a profit.

yeah, i call BS. it either is or it isn't. but it ultimately matters not.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-02-2016, 10:33 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

You, sir, are acting like a forum troll. You've been around long enough to know what that means, just like you know I was the one who posted I knew of three people. You can sneeze in Southern California and know people who have done well (Funny, because one of them is my neighbor). I can't help it if you've not done well with your vehicles, perhaps it's a personal problem? I posted what I thought was a thought-provoking thread, one that has actually produced some good conversation. I hope your behavior isn't indicative of this forum. I'm just a regular guy with a hearty love for 911s. Now, let me go take a sleeping pill because I might be up all night stressing over the fact you'll never believe me...:

UOTE="02996ttx50;13249703]it neither allows nor disallows me of anything. but what is "trollish" exactly?

yeah, i call BS. it either is or it isn't. but it ultimately matters not.
[/QUOTE]

cute. thx for the assessment.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:21 AM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought you have to pay capital gains tax on a vehicle if you sell it for more than you purchased it for? Do you know if this is the case or not?

None of my cars have ever appreciated so I don't have any first hand experience. If capital gains tax does apply, It would be worth knowing what costs can be subtracted from the capital gains value (sales tax and yearly excise tax perhaps?) to pay less tax when resold.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
I thought you have to pay capital gains tax on a vehicle if you sell it for more than you purchased it for?
http://www.dmv.org/articles/income-t...ng-a-used-car/

Quick Reply: 996 TT purchase value/investment