Sponsored by:

Full Ruf r550 Build/Project/Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 01:05 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Default Full Ruf r550 Build/Project/Installation

I've been a lurker on this board for quite some time and recently became a member. The knowledge available to members on this board is tremendous. I thought I might contribute a bit and give back to the members.

I've been a Porsche fan for quite some time and owned several models. I currently have a 997.2 GT3, 87 Turbo Look, and now a 2002 Turbo. I've been looking for quite some time now for a well optioned 996 Turbo. I was mostly interested in color and interior options. I did not want black, grey, or silver. I would have loved to get a mexico blue one but impossible to find. Mileage was not important to me. I wanted to find one that was well documented with regular service. I located one in california that was a one owner vehicle. A cobalt blue 996 Turbo with grey interior. Loads of exclusive options. Attached are pictures from the dealer. Once the vehicle arrived, I was disappointed with the exterior color. It had been repainted on the drivers door, and both bumpers. It appeared to be three different colors. The paint shop that performed the work did a horrible job. At this point, I had to decide to keep this car or find another. I looked for another few weeks and could not locate another cobalt blue or weird colored 996 so I decided to keep it. I located a paint and body shop in Houston to perform a full windows out respray of the entire vehicle. I replaced the rear bumper since the previous one was repaired poorly. While the car was in the paint shop, I decided to order all the Ruf goodies. Several weeks later, half of my Ruf order showed up so I gave the front bumper to the paint shop also. I'll take as many pictures as i can to take you in this journey of a full Ruf 550 conversion.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2016, 01:06 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Everyone must think I'm nuts to spend this much money on a 996 turbo. My goal was to have a complete package from one tuner. I had a Ruf car several years ago and decided it was time to get another. This time, I wanted to get every single Ruf option available. I installed the grills onto the back side of the bumper with provided screws. The left and right intake ducts mount easily onto the respective sides. The center duct is tricky. On the original design of the 996 Turbo, air is blasted through the center radiator and down below the car. The Ruf bumper changes this flow to simulate the gt2. Air is forced through the center radiator and up the top of the bumper. This requires new ducting to be installed in front of and behind the center radiator. The toughest part was to get the new horn bracket installed. the 14mm nut holding the bracket is covered by the right radiator. i unbolted the condenser and radiator just enough to have access to this nut. The Ruf provided bracket moves the horns slightly to the passenger side to make room for the center ducting.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2016, 01:07 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Today I was able to clean out the area of the battery tray under the plastic cowling. I also replaced the rusty battery tray with a new one along with the Ruf Strut Brace. I managed to finish the front bumper. Although the Ruf instructions are not detailed, once you start working on the front end, everything is pretty self explanatory. I was also able to remove a ton of small rocks from the front radiator.

The front aluminum brace has to be cut slightly to accommodate the radiator since it is now tilted forward almost 5 inches.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 01:08 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

If anyone is wondering, I copied these posts from another forum where I started a thread.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:11 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Default Strut Brace Installed

Ruf Rear wing installed after getting hydraulics rebuilt.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Stock intake on left and Ruf intake on right, .
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2016, 01:15 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Ruf steering wheel and instrument cluster
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 01:20 AM
Sunman
Intermediate

Stock intake duct on top, center Ruf pipe to turbos, lower ruf pipe intermediate. ,
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 AM
bugeyemilo
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good sir!
Old 03-31-2016, 02:36 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You'll enjoy the end result. Stock steering wheel and instrument cluster on my conversion car. And probably a million other things.....
Old 03-31-2016, 02:47 AM
clsund1
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I didn't know they offered a steering wheel. from the looks of it, you have a Tip?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:38 AM
911-AL
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 60 Posts

Looking great and subscribed! Let's see that interior!
Old 03-31-2016, 05:18 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,707 Likes on 995 Posts

Looks great! All those parts look very very familiar. Are they also sending you the ECU, exhaust and turbos? What about the brakes?
Old 03-31-2016, 03:34 PM
Sunman
Intermediate

The interior is not complete yet. I replaced a few missing/broken clips on some of the panels and will reassembly soon. The seats are the stock comfort seats. Looking for a set of sport seats in grey if anyone has.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:35 PM
Sunman
Intermediate

Powdrhound, thanks again for the sunroof assy. Yes, I will be doing the full R550 package. I have the engine removed currently to install the intake plenum assy from RUF.

Quick Reply: Full Ruf r550 Build/Project/Installation