Headlight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 01:53 PM
saw
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Issues

Hello experts, a quick, dumb Newbie question:

A short while ago both low beam headlights on my 996 Turbo started to behave strangely out of the blue. Initially, both lights would not illuminate when I turned on the headlight switch and then after approximately 1-2 mins. they would then turn on. This time frame became progressively longer over a period of 4 days until they are now non-functional. In addition, the illuminated light signal on the headlight **** does not illuminate; whereas the fog light signal is working normally when they are turned on. The high beams, fog lamps, and directional signal lamps are all working fine.

As there are two separate fuses for each lamp, I don't think this could be a fuse problem. Do you think this could be a relay or headlight switch issue (although the switch is purportedly very reliable)? I'm good with Ferrari diagnosis and repair, but a complete novice with Porsche.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated before I take the car down to the dealer for a Porsche SD diagnosis.

Thank you in advance.
Old 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saw
Hello experts, a quick, dumb Newbie question:

A short while ago both low beam headlights on my 996 Turbo started to behave strangely out of the blue. Initially, both lights would not illuminate when I turned on the headlight switch and then after approximately 1-2 mins. they would then turn on. This time frame became progressively longer over a period of 4 days until they are now non-functional. In addition, the illuminated light signal on the headlight **** does not illuminate; whereas the fog light signal is working normally when they are turned on. The high beams, fog lamps, and directional signal lamps are all working fine.

As there are two separate fuses for each lamp, I don't think this could be a fuse problem. Do you think this could be a relay or headlight switch issue (although the switch is purportedly very reliable)? I'm good with Ferrari diagnosis and repair, but a complete novice with Porsche.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated before I take the car down to the dealer for a Porsche SD diagnosis.

Thank you in advance.
I would pull out the switch clean the electrical connections, and add some electrical grease. Try to diagnose what you can before you pay someone to do the exact same thing. New switch is easy to replace.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:06 PM
saw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Atrox
I would pull out the switch clean the electrical connections, and add some electrical grease. Try to diagnose what you can before you pay someone to do the exact same thing. New switch is easy to replace.
Thank you, Sir. Does the entire switch assembly pull out of the dash through the front or push out through the back? I too hate paying for "simple fixes."
Old 02-13-2016, 02:10 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Headlight switch failures are not uncommon on our 996s. Search the 996 forum for more info.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:16 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/996_tech.htm
Go to pelican parts tech articles and search head light switch replace.
Old 02-13-2016, 02:50 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by saw
Thank you, Sir. Does the entire switch assembly pull out of the dash tthrough the front or push out through the back? I too hate paying for "simple fixes."

From the manual
Old 02-13-2016, 05:30 PM
saw
Rennlist Member

Thanks so much for all the reply's, guys. They're greatly appreciated. I have the carbon fiber option so the MAcarbon link looks exactly like mine. I shouldn't complain about a little problem like this, Porsche are extremely well-built, reliable cars, especially compared to Ferarris which break from just looking at them the wrong way.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:40 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Take your time. Going slow it'll be done within an hour. Make sure you have a socket for the nut holding the switch in...i can't remember the size. Also, don't over tighten that nut. You'll crack the plastic surround.

Quick Reply: Headlight Issues