Sponsored by:

Turbo tires... I couldn't do it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:14 PM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You must be young because in the 1950s, 60s and even the early 70s that is exactly what the Japanese were know for making. In the USA in those days "Made in Japan" was synonyms with "crap".
I said mass quantities of knock off crap. China ships tons and tons of off brand bull**** over here that is a blatant (albeit ****ty) copy of quality products.

People may have opinions about Japanese quality a half century ago, but they were already building better cars than the big 3.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

Originally Posted by vogz
I said mass quantities of knock off crap. China ships tons and tons of off brand bull**** over here that is a blatant (albeit ****ty) copy of quality products.

People may have opinions about Japanese quality a half century ago, but they were already building better cars than the big 3.

And Japan was known for doing the same at the time. The preception that their goods were all crap was incorrect just in the same way everything produced by China is looked at unfairly now.

And the Z car you posted was know at the time as a knock off design of a Ferrari Daytona.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I like Japanese cars and have owned plenty, cant really comment on China made. Can say I look for made in USA on common household items when ever possible as I find they hold up better.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:14 PM
vogz
Racer

And Japan was known for doing the same at the time. The preception that their goods were all crap was incorrect just in the same way everything produced by China is looked at unfairly now.

And the Z car you posted was know at the time as a knock off design of a Ferrari Daytona.
That or China really just makes crap. Sure plenty of quality products come out of China, but none of them are actually designed by Chinese companies, they are just put together by Chinese labor. The stuff they do design and manufacture is absolute garbage. This is why the comparison to Japan 50 years ago is way off base. Japan does't and has never produced goods designed by others. They design and sell their own products and they have been of high quality for a very long time.

The 240Z may have looked a bit like a Ferrari Daytona (plenty of car companies all over the world have similar looking designs), but the difference was it was actually a better built, more reliable car than a Ferrari Daytona. Not cheap knock off crap.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...gain/index.htm
Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
speaking of snow and ice, I can tell you N-spec PS2's are completely hopeless on even a little hard-pack...the non-spec PS2's seem much better here
sometimes when 'they' say summer tire they really mean SUMMER tire lol.

we can run pretty much anything with tread. its how long it lasts ( or doesn't ) is the issue.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
That or China really just makes crap. Sure plenty of quality products come out of China, but none of them are actually designed by Chinese companies, they are just put together by Chinese labor. The stuff they do design and manufacture is absolute garbage. This is why the comparison to Japan 50 years ago is way off base. Japan does't and has never produced goods designed by others. They design and sell their own products and they have been of high quality for a very long time.

The 240Z may have looked a bit like a Ferrari Daytona (plenty of car companies all over the world have similar looking designs), but the difference was it was actually a better built, more reliable car than a Ferrari Daytona. Not cheap knock off crap.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/n...gain/index.htm
There have been literally hundreds of business articles and scholar papers written about the near exact similarities in the rise of Japan in the 1970s and rise of China now. Nearly all Japan's consumer products produced right after WW II were based on American or outsourced designs.

China has put astronauts into orbit around the moon, a space station in orbit above the earth and built hundreds of nuclear missiles. They can build high quality products from original designs when they want and to paint all their consumer products as crap, including all their automotive tires, is extremely short sighted and misinformed.

And other countries and companies are perfectly capable at building crappy tires too.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/FirestoneRecall

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-10-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:00 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Just to highlight the importance of tires...

I know this reads just too convenient but it happened. (I have a dash cam - GoPro -- but I never bother to use it.)

Today in the Turbo on the way to work heading south in 880 just around the A Street exit. I'm driving in the fast lane -- after commute hours when it is *not* restricted to just HOV or motorcycles or hybrid vehicles -- and some butthead in the next lane decided to change lanes right in front of me and my Turbo.

No time to think about this it was just reflexes: I slammed on the brakes, slammed them on with all my might. I actually didn't think I was going to stop/avoid an accident. But the Turbo brakes *and* tires did their job and I avoided contact. The butthead never checked his rear view mirrors.

Even with just 2mm of tread the tires did their job. Oh, I had the presence of mind afterward to check ambient temperature and it was 59F.

Tires are always very important but sometimes they become even more important and one can't always know when or choose when they'll become even more important.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:06 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I like Japanese cars and have owned plenty, cant really comment on China made. Can say I look for made in USA on common household items when ever possible as I find they hold up better.
I have driven a couple of Chinese made cars. They were not terrible. IMHO give them a couple of decades and their quality will be indistinguishable from other mass produced automobiles.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:40 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

China is leading edge for quite a few things, solar panel technology, nuclear fusion, oil refinement.
Look at the Chinese cities and super malls, put New York to shame at the shear size of them. China has come a long way IMO.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:52 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

China has way over built dislocating farmers and the housing costs are out of budget for most. They have smart people and lead in some areas but they do tend to borrow ideas lol.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:59 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

China has way over built dislocating farmers and the housing costs are out of budget for most. They have smart people and lead in some areas but they do tend to borrow ideas lol.
Have to agree with you on the borrowing, they're very good at copying others ideas and designs.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:01 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
Have to agree with you on the borrowing, they're very good at copying others ideas and designs.
And yet they can't "barrow" RE-71R tread pattern and compound and make them in 295/30/18 for us little guys???

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE THAT IS HOLY MAKE US SOME NEW COMPOUND TIRES IN PROPER 996TT FITMENT!
Old 02-10-2016, 06:19 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That is alright. The USA "borrowed" a few German scientists to jump start atomic research and the space program.

Cultures have been borrowing stuff from one another since the beginning.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

True but sometimes its not borrowing= its hacking and taking. I know you will say its the same, I disagree. Oh well I'm out on this subject.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:23 PM
vogz
Racer

There have been literally hundreds of business articles and scholar papers written about the near exact similarities in the rise of Japan in the 1970s and rise of China now. Nearly all Japan's consumer products produced right after WW II were based on American or outsourced designs.
Really? Show me one that states the rises were nearly identical. Japan was war torn after WWII and had no choice but to do exactly as the Allies wished. China to this day hasn't gone through what Japan went through during and after WWII. Japan's rise didn't lead to cities sitting empty, massive pollution and the majority of the population continuing to live in poverty.

Near exact similarities!

China has put astronauts into orbit around the moon, a space station in orbit above the earth and built hundreds of nuclear missiles. They can build high quality products from original designs when they want and to paint all their consumer products as crap, including all their automotive tires, is extremely short sighted and misinformed.
Wrong wrong and wrong.

China hasn't sent a manned flight around the moon. Only unmanned, and almost 50 years AFTER the NASA landed a manned spacecraft ON the moon.

China doesn't have a space station. They are "planning" to put one in orbit in 2020, but planning and doing are two different things.

China also didn't design and build their own ballistic missiles. They took Soviet designs and reverse engineered them, and later purchased nuclear technology directly from the Soviets.

Since you clearly didn't before, you can read all about it here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_space_program

And other countries and companies are perfectly capable at building crappy tires too.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/FirestoneRecall
Manufacturing defects or design flaws in a handful of products isn't the same as all Chinese tires sucking.

Face it, Chinese brands are simply second rate.

http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2014/4/1...-Suck-7719697/

Pull some more crap out of your butt so I can prove you wrong again....

Quick Reply: Turbo tires... I couldn't do it...