Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo tires... I couldn't do it...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:14 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I might take a pic of used Pirelli's vs Falken's...you'll see what is more durable...lol
BTW, Sumitomo HTRZ3 are great street tires...I've run many of them on different cars...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:33 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Pirelli's at Tirerack are a pretty unbeatable price/quality bang-for-buck
I do prefer the RT615K as a proper street performance/track tire though...Hey Jean-Marc,
Currently on the Pirelli Rosso's, but think I'm going to go back to the Falken RT615K's...would be real nice if Tirerack carried them...The Pirelli's are hard to beat for the price, but the Falken's are the real deal street performance/track tire IMO...If T.R. had them, there would be no question which set I would continuously buy... hugely better performance tire, particularly in feel, stability, confidence
I may give the Nitto NT01 a shot, but treadwear rating(never truly accurate) and tread height are concerns...
Have a 6TT running on the Falken 453's, wearing very nicely and owner likes them a lot, dry winter cold to hot summer...
Zero ties or bias towards Falken but seem to operate very well here...
Cheers,
Rob
Thanks for chiming in and clarifying that Rob. I figured the guys might take the Falkens more seriously if you vouched for them.
Old 02-10-2016, 03:09 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
Rob runs the Falken 615 and swears by them. I recently got the Falken 453 and like them better than my old Pzeros.
I'm 4000 miles into my falken Azenis 453s and they are working out well. My car is driven 90% in the mountains / canyons and the Falkens provide ample grip. Good tire for the money. I'll consider upgrading to GT2 size Falken FK615s when my current tires wear out.
Old 02-10-2016, 06:41 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
Had the PS2's been in stock I would have given them a try. I've never run Michelin tires on the Turbo. (On the Boxster they have been pretty good.) I would have liked to try Michelin tires on the Turbo. But I need tires now, not "March 1" and the Bridgestone tires were available. I have run Bridgestone and Continental tires on the Turbo. (I think it came from the factory with Continental tires.) They are both great tires is my experience. Plenty of grip. Long wearing. Quiet, relatively speaking, even towards the end of their life.
I can vouch for the Bridgestone SO2's. They amaze me at how similar they perform at the track to the PS2's, and really just a great all around street tire. I put them pretty even to the PS2's I have on my Cayman S. As to the Toyos I had on the turbo... As Pauly Walnuts would say, fergetaboutit.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:51 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Pirelli tires in the Turbo's sizes were not available. I've run Pirelli on my Boxster -- have a set on the car now -- and they are a good tire. My only complaint is Pirelli tires seem to get real noisy as they wear. I've run Michelin tires on the Boxster and Michelin tires are not quite as noisy towards the end but unless the prices are the same (or in one case the Michelin tires were a few dollars less than the Pirelli tires) I will go with Pirelli tires..
i'm not sure if your're on turbo "stock" or gt2 sizes? i'm using the larger sizes further limiting ?) my choices.

but i just cant/won't deal with the michelin price any longer i no longer even give them any consideration. $550 ea for rear in 315/30 and i cant even squeeze more than 5k miles out of them

Rob runs the Falken 615 and swears by them. I recently got the Falken 453 and like them better than my old Pzeros.
yeah, i'd like to try them! moreso the 615's. but have you broken in the 453 and is it a "summer" tire". that's what need to be run up here in desert type canyons. hell i've given up on the euro/asian debate since pirelli is now chinese owned though my last set was still german made.

rob's been talking up the falken rt615's for a long time so if they're available in gt2 sizing they'd be on my short list also. i'd just like a rear to get me 7k miles and so far the p zeros has been getting that, so i'm good with that. plus they are very price competitive. i've gotten used to their noise level. it's a harder ride though than the ps'2 which is/was! my ( old ) preference. just not worth the $ difference to me.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:20 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,236 Likes on 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
I cant roll on Chinese tires.
That is what people used to say about Japanese tires.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:31 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The NT-01s are great street tires if you live in a place where it never gets too cold or rarely rains. I have encountered some very serious hydroplaning while driving on them in rain storms even when the tires were brand new.

I use the NT-01s for the track only and use the cheapest crap tires I can find for street driving. Using crappy tires on the street make driving the car more fun day to day because they have less grip I feel like I can experience the edge of adhesion at lower speeds.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:50 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
That is what people used to say about Japanese tires.
The Japanese were never known for producing mass quantities of sub par, knock off crap like the Chinese do.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:13 AM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

++++1, these cars are already dangerously fast on the street. A ****ty tire can be a lot more fun with a lot less risk as long as you have dedicated rubber for the track!

The NT-01s are great street tires if you live in a place where it never gets too cold or rarely rains. I have encountered some very serious hydroplaning while driving on them in rain storms even when the tires were brand new.

I use the NT-01s for the track only and use the cheapest crap tires I can find for street driving. Using crappy tires on the street make driving the car more fun day to day because they have less grip I feel like I can experience the edge of adhesion at lower speeds.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:12 AM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 405 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by highlander
Months? It's been over a year since there has been any availability of "new" PS2's in stock rear size.
I didn't realize it was that bad. One year back order is silly. I've completely written Michelin off as an option for my performance tires. I run Sumi's on my 993. I'm on my third set and you can't beat the price. I have an all season and snow tire set of Michelins on my SUV. That's all I use them for now.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:17 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vogz
The Japanese were never known for producing mass quantities of sub par, knock off crap like the Chinese do.
You must be young because in the 1950s, 60s and even the early 70s that is exactly what the Japanese were know for making. In the USA in those days "Made in Japan" was synonyms with "crap".
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
True , never though of that. No wonder his boxster has 300k on it. One Canadian winter and it would be coughing up cylinder lining.
Bought the Boxster Jan. 19, 2002 in Merriam KS with several inches of snow on the ground. I drove the car in all weather until March of that year when I got a VW Golf TDi to use as my bad weather car. But the Boxster got driven in cold weather just not in snow or ice. I remained in the KC MO area until March of 2004 when I moved back to northern CA to take a new job.

The Boxster -- and the Turbo -- have seen their share of cold. From Dec 21 to Jan 11 in 2014 the Turbo was back in the mid-west enduring extreme cold down in the single digits. While the engine was fine -- with 5w-50 oil though I wouldn't advise someone to follow my example -- I think the cold played a role in taking out the Turbo's radiators.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I've been fortunate to run most of the performance tires out there, both on our 996 platform as well as other cars.
The RT615K seems to be the most 'pure' performance tire that is happy both street and track. It is not as compliant as PS2, Advan Sport, Pzero Rosso, FK453, etc, but gives much greater feedback and stability with added grip. It is also the longest lasting tire I've had, go figure! I contribute it to greater feedback allowing less 'over-driving' and tread block stability
Cheers,
Rob

Thanks for chiming in and clarifying that Rob. I figured the guys might take the Falkens more seriously if you vouched for them.
Think you'll like the RT615K, like a Fk453 with more grip/feedback but with a bit more NVH
Originally Posted by seanl
I'm 4000 miles into my falken Azenis 453s and they are working out well. My car is driven 90% in the mountains / canyons and the Falkens provide ample grip. Good tire for the money. I'll consider upgrading to GT2 size Falken FK615s when my current tires wear out.
RT615K are the best performance tire I've run on my car, also the longest lasting! lol...
I'm hoping T.R. will start to actively carry Falken, or even just the RT615K...I'm ok with the Pirelli's, but the Falken's are 'proper'
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i'm not sure if your're on turbo "stock" or gt2 sizes? i'm using the larger sizes further limiting ?) my choices.
but i just cant/won't deal with the michelin price any longer i no longer even give them any consideration. $550 ea for rear in 315/30 and i cant even squeeze more than 5k miles out of them
yeah, i'd like to try them! moreso the 615's. but have you broken in the 453 and is it a "summer" tire". that's what need to be run up here in desert type canyons. hell i've given up on the euro/asian debate since pirelli is now chinese owned though my last set was still german made.

rob's been talking up the falken rt615's for a long time so if they're available in gt2 sizing they'd be on my short list also. i'd just like a rear to get me 7k miles and so far the p zeros has been getting that, so i'm good with that. plus they are very price competitive. i've gotten used to their noise level. it's a harder ride though than the ps'2 which is/was! my ( old ) preference. just not worth the $ difference to me.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:32 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

speaking of snow and ice, I can tell you N-spec PS2's are completely hopeless on even a little hard-pack...the non-spec PS2's seem much better here
Bought the Boxster Jan. 19, 2002 in Merriam KS with several inches of snow on the ground. I drove the car in all weather until March of that year when I got a VW Golf TDi to use as my bad weather car. But the Boxster got driven in cold weather just not in snow or ice. I remained in the KC MO area until March of 2004 when I moved back to northern CA to take a new job.

The Boxster -- and the Turbo -- have seen their share of cold. From Dec 21 to Jan 11 in 2014 the Turbo was back in the mid-west enduring extreme cold down in the single digits. While the engine was fine -- with 5w-50 oil though I wouldn't advise someone to follow my example -- I think the cold played a role in taking out the Turbo's radiators.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:33 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

You must be young because in the 1950s, 60s and even the early 70s that is exactly what the Japanese were know for making. In the USA in those days "Made in Japan" was synonyms with "crap".
Yes. I recall -- I hope I remember this correctly.-- Japan Inc (the term used to describe how closely the Japanese government and Japanese industry worked together) came up with a new city called Usa so goods manufactured could be labeled "Made in Usa".

Japan effected a turn around in quality when they adapted heart and soul the teachings of a guy called Deming who was a proponent of quality through a disciplined approach from the very beginning of product development all the way to its manufacturing.

USA manufactures ignored his teachings but the Japanese didn't and the turn-around in quality was remarkable and helped Japan reach the levels of manufacturing greatness it still has.

Quick Reply: Turbo tires... I couldn't do it...