Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts
Default 996/GT3 bargain article

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/the-996-...154307064.html
Old 02-08-2016, 03:03 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

More drumbeats in the jungle.

And the springtime bounce is still a couple months away.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Excellence has market report for 996 Gt2 in this months issue, also small article about Gt3 996=they talk them up nicely.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:42 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

Time will tell. I think a lot of the problem is that they're considered supercars and unattainable for the average guy. I never thought I would own a 911 turbo until I mentioned buying a Cayman to a 996 NA friend and a few weeks later I found a clean example very well priced. I think if more people knew they were attainable the prices would increase even faster.
My two cents
Shawn
Old 02-08-2016, 03:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

What's going to eventually drive prices is the disposable mentality of 996t owners. There are comparably few nice cars on the market. When you buy a car with 70k plus and use it on a regular basis and on top of that mod it the car is soon worth little. Porsche 911s were never on average used in the way that the 996t is being used= everyday driver- drag car-platform for questionable mods/repairs. I understand they are bought by individuals to be used as they see fit, but at the end of the day most know the real score. I know most could care less and that's fine with me.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM
Sveach756
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

^the e36 M3 has been going through the same thing the past 4-5 years. It's both interesting and heart breaking to watch as people abuse clean examples.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:12 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

You got that right, four years ago I passed on a super clean e36 M3 54k miles for 15k= mistake. They are great cars and yes people abuse the crap out of them.
Old 02-08-2016, 05:37 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sveach756
^the e36 M3 has been going through the same thing the past 4-5 years. It's both interesting and heart breaking to watch as people abuse clean examples.
Yes yes yes!

I'm a BMW guy loving their M cars and come from a M5 E60. Basically all M cars go through this, and it's hard to watch.

I hope one day to find a low mileage 2010 M5 E60 in stock form.

Right now I'm a bit "lost" as I have a low mileage X50 in mint condition but, switched exhaust as I find the stock one boring. I was going to get a tune this spring but not so sure about that now. It's not for resale reasons, more so that I have a mint X50 in stock form that has been babied it's whole life. I shake my head when I look at the history, original owner serviced it every 600-1800 miles, it was a garage queen basically and got serviced annually.

I was almost sure it was a longer gap between oil changes and all but the car was barely driven. Almost shocked me when I went through the papers couple of days ago.

I wish we had more people like him, so mere mortals like me can afford to buy basically new Turbos.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:11 PM
Keo
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Berra
Yes yes yes!

I'm a BMW guy loving their M cars and come from a M5 E60. Basically all M cars go through this, and it's hard to watch.

Right now I'm a bit "lost" as I have a low mileage X50 in mint condition but, switched exhaust as I find the stock one boring. I was going to get a tune this spring but not so sure about that now. It's not for resale reasons, more so that I have a mint X50 in stock form that has been babied it's whole life. I shake my head when I look at the history, original owner serviced it every 600-1800 miles, it was a garage queen basically and got serviced annually.

I was almost sure it was a longer gap between oil changes and all but the car was barely driven. Almost shocked me when I went through the papers couple of days ago.

I wish we had more people like him, so mere mortals like me can afford to buy basically new Turbos.
I think that the important thing is to not do anything non-reversible on the car. Given you already have an exhaust upgrade, why not go with something like the Cobb AccessPort to change your ECU a/f map to take advantage of the augmented airflow. Then, simply reverse the ECU tuning to stock and remove the exhaust iif you decide to bring back to stock. The engine can take way more than 500hp (which is around what you might get with exhaust-tune... perhaps you'd need an air intake upgrade to reach the 500hp... but from my research it seems feasible without). I wouldn't worry about any engine premature usage with such mods... its more the way you drive that could damage the car... etc...
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Clean 996 GT3s are even more rare than turbos. Even GT3s asking in the mid 70s have scrotch harnesses and rollcages and all sort of nosebleed track mods which tell you they must have been off the black part of the track several times.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 AM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

@ 0:42. Love the shot of the TT nose rearing up, then dropping as the presenter gets on and off the gas.

The GT3 OTOH stays flat through the whole review.

Personally, I voted with my $$$. TT all the way
Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Thanks for heads-up, will have to check the stores...used to subscribe...

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Excellence has market report for 996 Gt2 in this months issue, also small article about Gt3 996=they talk them up nicely.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:57 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Actually the market value covers the GT2 and GT3 and there's a small article on last page about GT3RS.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:38 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Thanks for heads-up, will have to check the stores...used to subscribe...
I think I must have 80% or more of all issues. Excellence has always been my go to P car magazine. Panorama is finally a close second. Never really understood Christophorus.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:41 PM
gophaster
Pro

If you like the new exhaust, enjoy it!!! I would hold onto the the stock one in case you ever decide to put it back on. The exhaust lets the engine breathe better and allows you to enjoy more of the fantastic sounds!

I also bought mine totally original. Previous owner basically treated it like a brand new/warrantied car all it's life. I have all service records and I added up invoices for just the 4 years prior to me purchasing the car and it was right around $14,000 just for that time period. Pretty much just routine stuff but all at dealer prices... for example in that 4 year time period was: replacement of hydraulic rams for tail, brakes, battery replacement, new alternator, spark plugs, accumulator (twice in 4 years), oil/filter changes, even a brand new oem CD player!! These are just a few, the average invoice was around $800 or so. I haven't sat down and added them up since new yet but it should be up there.

Before buying it, I had big plans performance wise for the car. BUT, after getting to know the car and seeing how well cared for it has been. Also, I discovered that the performance in stock form is nothing to sneeze at. I have installed H&R coilovers, new wheels/tires, and Speedtech exhaust. (the stock bits are put away)

The new suspension + alignment makes a world of difference even as just a street car, the wheels give it the look I wanted, and the exhaust lessens the back pressure / frees up the beautiful sounds the engine makes. I have a few small aesthetic touches I'd like to do inside (gt3rs steering wheel & shifter for example) but that's about it. I honestly think I'm going to call it a day and just enjoy the car as she is now.

I don't plan to sell the car at all but it is nice to see that it appears people are finally starting to appreciate them.

Originally Posted by Berra
Yes yes yes!

Quick Reply: 996/GT3 bargain article