996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone check kbb lately?

Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Interestingly I don't fit any of those "owner profiles". I bought the car as my third P-car
(traded an 04' Boxster S, had already bought my childhood dream car, an 87' 930). I'm the second owner, car has been extensively modified for track use (no internals), still drive it occasionally on the street, but more of a track toy. I'll probably keep it for life, although every now and then I'm sorely tempted to trade for a 997 GT3...
Don't know where that puts me in that "owners profile", and couldn't care less either. It's all good.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:02 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I think you left out one type of buyer.

There are experienced Porsche buyers out there who know the depreciation and then appreciation bell curve of these car well. They tend to buy their Porsches from the original owners with low miles near the low point of their value, enjoy them for a while, and then sell them as prices rise, and then repeat the process with the next 911 variant whose value is on the down slope of the curve.
That would be me. I really loved my 987.1 Boxster, except for the depreciation. Looked for a 996TT cab, but was unsuccessful, so I got a coupe 15 months ago. After all money spent, I'm up 5% or so in terms of market value (actual offers). And that feels good. Not planning to sell at this point. But I've had 60+ Porsches over the years, so it's a good bet I'll get restless and move on at some point...
Old 02-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,429 Posts

Originally Posted by techweenie
That would be me. I really loved my 987.1 Boxster, except for the depreciation. Looked for a 996TT cab, but was unsuccessful, so I got a coupe 15 months ago. After all money spent, I'm up 5% or so in terms of market value (actual offers). And that feels good. Not planning to sell at this point. But I've had 60+ Porsches over the years, so it's a good bet I'll get restless and move on at some point...
Wow, 60+. That is impressive. I thought I had bought and sold a lot of Porsches in my lifetime but you put me to shame.

I tip my hat to you sir.
Old 02-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
Obama, Sanders, geez.... take the political crap to that forum. I'm sure all the wingnuts over there will love joining you in your bashing. Generational shortcomings, if there are any, can usually be traced to the previous generations parenting. All of which has nothing to do with pricing on niche cars like the 996TT and others. The different types of buyers like trashers, modders, garage queeners, etc, can be found across the generational divides. Now back to regular programming......
Price is based on market, which is based on economy, which is based on buyers. The majority of the 18-25 year old crowd is living in a microwave world. They would rather heat it up quickly thancook it correctly all while not shaving and wearing skinny jeans. This indeed will affect the "toy" market as most of them will find getting a degree in video game programming is much easier than learning a skilled trade or legitimate profession. I truly am scared to think what new doctors will be like 20 years from now. They will be completely dependent on google searches and rely on technology that makes them obsolete.
Old 02-12-2016, 03:49 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sanyata
Obama, Sanders, geez.... take the political crap to that forum. I'm sure all the wingnuts over there will love joining you in your bashing. Generational shortcomings, if there are any, can usually be traced to the previous generations parenting. All of which has nothing to do with pricing on niche cars like the 996TT and others. The different types of buyers like trashers, modders, garage queeners, etc, can be found across the generational divides. Now back to regular programming......
+1
lots of this forum seems off topic vs. just a year ago, they DO have that forum here for those with nothing to offer related to 996t, it's called OFF TOPIC.
A little humor with some helpful insight is great, straight opinions of non-996t ****, meh...
Old 02-12-2016, 03:56 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
+1
lots of this forum seems off topic vs. just a year ago, they DO have that forum here for those with nothing to offer related to 996t, it's called OFF TOPIC.
A little humor with some helpful insight is great, straight opinions of non-996t ****, meh...

Yeah but when it's the 4,000,000 th thread about pricing or values who really cares either way.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:32 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Yeah but when it's the 4,000,000 th thread about pricing or values who really cares either way.

Anyone else get their Costco AMEX rewards coupon today?
Old 02-12-2016, 04:40 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 249 Posts

Valuation and pricing is a dynamic moving target so I can see on going discussions and threads. Now how to change the ignition switch might get a little redundant and boring. It's the personalities that can make any thread interesting even when the subject has been covered a million times.

In terms of value, I bought my car five years ago and I figure I can fetch pretty darn close to what I paid for it now. So that's not bad in today's disposable car world.
Old 02-12-2016, 04:47 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

The 993 forum was getting rampant with valuation and pricing threads (and still is, probably for good reason given the aircooled frenzy) when I sold my 993 after 10+ years of ownership last year. The 996TT forum is becoming the same way, although I don't see 996TT prices going on the same trajectory as the 993. I feel lucky that I was able to sell my 993 for what I paid for it 10 years earlier and was able to buy my 996TT, pay taxes and still have money left over after selling the 993. If the value of the 996TT goes to a book value of zero tomorrow it will not effect how I enjoy my 996TT. It's a great car at any price and I plan to enjoy the heck out of it for years to come on both the street and track.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:52 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next time I post a new topic I'll make sure it is interesting to everyone first.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:00 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

I had my 996T saved in KBB and would get emails regarding its value from time to time. I got this a few weeks after I sold it

If I would have known a 32% bump was coming, I would have held out a couple weeks Another interesting point was that dealer trade in value was higher than private party sale.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:22 PM
Veggantilles
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

" Another interesting point was that dealer trade in value was higher than private party sale."

I noticed that myself. Kind of hard to resist trading in for something shiny like a 991.2 S. Oh yeah we were talking about depreciation and resale weren't we.
Old 02-12-2016, 07:19 PM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 249 Posts

KBB says my car value is up!
Zillow says my house value is up!
Time to cash in....
Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Better buy 3 more...that appreciation is better than the stock market - KBB is just a WAG - I have never found any accuracy in their numbers. Good luck realizing that $10k gain.
I've previously owned a independent car dealer for about 10 years and have to say KBB values are very close in cars that are 10-15 years and under, even the 996TT. When a car becomes older and if they become a collector or if demand is higher than the inventory, then KBB have no way to track current market price. IMO the 996TT price have been very stable for the last 4-5 yrs. Think the fate of 996tt future prices depend on the 997TT prices. We have to wait for them to bottom out, which I think they have now.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:59 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Veggantilles
Next time I post a new topic I'll make sure it is interesting to everyone first.
Alternatively, you can hope that people not interested in the 4001st valuation/price thread will not postbomb it with their disapproval.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone check kbb lately?