Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Porsche....there is no substiture". Well apparently not.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default "Porsche....there is no substiture". Well apparently not.

993 turbo and 996 turbo s owner just purchased another bucket list car:

2014 Mustang GT500. 662 hp stock from factory/grabber blue.

I grew up on pony cars and had a couple mustang GTs including the last year of the carburetor (1985).

Make no mistake this mustang is viscerally rewarding so much power and sound. This was a proper purchase for the stable; pun intended.

Just some quick cursory observations/comparisons to porsche:

-This car has a top speed of 202 mph but porsche feels more stable.... by far actually.

-cannot toss through a corner/no surprise i know but so not nearly like porsche. Everything is lower in porsche center of gravity keeps all flat and when it does lose grip its far more predictable. (And thats siad even with those who regards the 911 as having a pendullum in the back)

-Another noteworthy experience is when you really floor it the whole front of the car lifts up and some of the road disappears. This is not a confidence booster.

-lastly and most important imo is fear. Fear of spinning out almost constantly. one must concentrate on that at all times "how am I going to manage this power to the wheels". This MUST be true for ALL pony cars. Vettes included. Idc how much hp you have if it is only driving two wheels you have a problem in everyday driving and street-style drag racing.

This is why porsche is coveted. Again to reiterate I do love this mustang how could you not love 662hp (i observed yesterday that at 60 mph the engine is at 1000 rpms!!!)
I thought after purchasing this car I would be less inclined to take out the 911s. That wont be the case. I knew they were different but wasn't expecting just how different they STILL are ever after all these years.

So in the end never fear a pony at a stoplight (gt 500, hellcat, new z06) trust me they are worrying more than you are AND they have more to lose. Over 40mph? Okay yes worry. This car does 62 mph IN FIRST GEAR (62 actually) but all stock ponies will lose that sprint every time to a properly driven 911TT IMO.

Old 02-07-2016, 03:09 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Sweet new GT500 and congrats on it! Sounds like a ton of fun and nice to see diversity in the garage!

If it's power you seek, it's relatively inexpensive to get 6xx hp in your 996tts.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:06 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Personally I like your sweet lime green ride and bet you get tons of compliments on that helmet!
Old 02-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

They are awesome cars congrats on the purchase, and the fact you know how easy it is to get them sideways. I have a feeling these cars will be rare indeed esp when all of em have in most cases young drivers with Paul walker type aspirations. Hellcats, camaros, and stangs seem to be everywhere these days. I can't have a drive without one of em trying to race.

My dad has a 2009 Z06 and that car scares me as well. After my dad drove the Porsche he now understands what all the fuss is about.
Old 02-07-2016, 04:46 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Atrox
They are awesome cars congrats on the purchase, and the fact you know how easy it is to get them sideways. I have a feeling these cars will be rare indeed esp when all of em have in most cases young drivers with Paul walker type aspirations. Hellcats, camaros, and stangs seem to be everywhere these days. I can't have a drive without one of em trying to race.

My dad has a 2009 Z06 and that car scares me as well. After my dad drove the Porsche he now understands what all the fuss is about.
Big motivating factor in purchase at least justified to wife is potential future value. These cars are dinosaurs. A v8 will be a specialty item of the past with CAFE standards ever increasing/looming. As such Porsche is pretty much disallowed to produce them going forward (unless they build a Fiesta, or Aveo or the like to offset the mpg average and that aint going to happen). Chrysler pays off Tesla currently to be allowed to build hellcat brothers, etc.....

I can't think of a more secure ride to "go fast" in than an AWD Porsche; no substitute.... (except of course the Kermit green Cannondale w/ lavender helmet)
Old 02-07-2016, 04:59 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great post to read. I've always gravitated back to Porsche. Especially due to being able to consistently handle spirited driving.

I will say that the handling differences sounds like it is based mainly on stock setup vs stock setup. Where the 911 wins. However when you're watching racing series like grand-am. The corvettes are putting some spirited fighting. So I'm sure you may be able to get there with hp ponies with the right setup. Right?
Old 02-07-2016, 06:42 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

the big piece is the pure size. I am really a fan of the looks of the newest stangs. Wife and I had talked about how one would be fun in the house. Till I rented a GT and the sure size of it driving compared to my turbo was HUGE.

that all said, i miss my '06 Gto quite often.

Last edited by HBdirtbag; 02-07-2016 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:48 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The new mustangs are supposed to be far more "tossable" and stable. When you look at the new versions of the pony car, they are far closer to our Porsche's than they were even just 1-2 years ago. American manufacturers have made great strides -(with some exceptions like the Hellcat, which IMO is the ultimate overpowered under-engineered car). However---look at the Z06--I mean wow what a car. The only negative I've seen is in Road and track long term testing on the stingray--seems the reliability is still below the Germans and the Japanese. Still--again back to the Z06, it seems that at about half the cost and it is as good and sometimes better than even the modern porsches--GT3 RS excluded (the ultimate, IMO)
Having said all of that--for what I paid for my x50, including power and suspension upgrades, there are few cars that come remotely close.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:54 PM
crash41301
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Animus
I will say that the handling differences sounds like it is based mainly on stock setup vs stock setup. Where the 911 wins. However when you're watching racing series like grand-am. The corvettes are putting some spirited fighting. So I'm sure you may be able to get there with hp ponies with the right setup. Right?
Absolutely you can. The difference is that with Porsche you have a better stock feel, which has the niceties of OEM engineered in it. That includes such cool things as "not so harsh a ride you are exhausted after driving for an hour" and "not so bad you freak out on crappy roads". Anything can be made to handle well, its the fact that Porsche cost soooo much more the factory bakes it in instead of catering to a lower market where most people just want to go fast in a straight line for a minute.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:09 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Great car and color, congrats on adding a keeper.
I agree they are a BIG car, drove one last fall and it did feel lighter than expected but certainly feels closer to an old muscle car than sports car. Mostly because they have more suspension travel and float than you want in this powerful a car.
Anything with 600+HP is fun IMO, have a great time!
Old 02-08-2016, 12:59 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I had a GT500 behind last summer. After a stop light were doing 25 or so due a slower car being in front of us and we both pulled out to pass the slower car that was in front of me and I gave it, he did as well I think anticipating that he would blow by both of us. It was keeping up to me but not gaining on me up until after I changed into 4th gear and then I noticed it starting getting closer to me . At this point being way over the speed limit, I slowed down to cruising speed and waved him by and gave him a thumbs up impressed that the Mustang was so quick, this is where I noticed the GT500 badge.
I looked up the specs later on to find out what hp that car has. Honestly I wasn't impressed as much knowing the extreme hp difference between our two cars and its lack of ability to blow me away.
I figure the loss of boost when switching gears to 4th was the reason since he probably didn't have a gear change there. Not sure but I think maybe my turbo probably could have made off better if it where from a stop and not a running start.
Newer Mustangs are very good looking cars, specially like the looks of the GT350R
That GT500 owner probably didn't realize he could have bought 2 of my cars for what he paid for it and he was going up against a 13 year old car and not the latest Turbo.

Anyways just sharing a story, not trying to put down the GT500. Congrats its one hot looking beast of a car.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:14 PM
breakfast
Pro

the gt500 is a powrhouse but far too heavy to be really "sporty" imho.

need a boss 302 or gt350 to get a proper handling mustang.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome American muscle! Love the color too, nice addition! Enjoy!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:14 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fastboy
...When you look at the new versions of the pony car, they are far closer to our Porsche's than they were even just 1-2 years ago. American manufacturers have made great strides...
I remember this being said almost word for word in the 80's, 90's, and 2000s. And I'm sure it was said in the 70s and 60s as well.

Luv the stang, tho!
Old 02-08-2016, 07:19 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by breakfast
need a boss 302 or gt350 to get a proper handling mustang.
Yup. I can attest to the GT350 being a very serious sport car

On the other hand, on many of those, including mine, the body panels look like they were put together by a bunch of drunks, and the interior feels cheap and toyish, at least to me. And there is basically zero torque under 3,500 RPM.

Quick Reply: "Porsche....there is no substiture". Well apparently not.