What do the following dates...

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 12:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts
Default What do the following dates...

have in common?

8/13/2015, 8/25/2015, 9/3/2015, 9/17/2015, 10/7/2015, 10/17/2015, 1/1/2016, 1/14/2016?

These are the dates my 2003 Turbo manifested P0300, P0303, and P0306 misfire codes just moments after a cold start. Note some starts were colder than others. Almost all were with the car parked overnight under a carport.

Given the misfires I decided it was time (past time probably) to have the coils replaced, so at the 140K mile oil/filter service that is what I had done. While the plugs were not due on miles, they had around 10K miles left, I had them changed too.

So new coils. New plugs.

How's the engine run?

Well, I like to believe it runs a bit smoother. I purposely left the car parked out in the open last night vs. parking it under the carport and the engine start early this AM was without any drama and I believe the engine was a bit less rough even immediately after the cold start.

And after the engine speed dropped to nearer its normal hot idle speed the engine felt a bit smoother.

Driving the car around this AM I did not notice the same level of improvement that I noticed when I had all 4 O2 sensors replaced at 132K miles (middle of last January) but the engine does feel a bit better.

While it would be nice to detect a more substantial improvement I'm OK with just knowing the engine has new coils and plugs (and fresh oil and a new filter).

Next up? Tires.

The SM called me yesterday evening to let me know the car was ready to pick and he let me know the tire condition. All 4 are getting very near the wear bars. The right rear is worn more than the left rear and not evenly so not only do I get a set of 4 new tires this time, I'll get an alignment done, too.
Old 02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Damn, you beat me to it. I was just about to guess exactly that.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Road King
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Hi Macster, I have a question for you. How often do you change your coils? I've read many of your posts, which are very informative. I *think* your car is stock, so I'm just curious how often you're replacing coils?

I had to replace mine at 46K miles as I was getting a few high RPM misfires. My car has a nice tune and exhaust, but is otherwise stock. After plug and coil replacement, my car runs fantastic, and like you I'm pretty sure it's running/idling smoother than it was.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:14 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Hi Macster, I have a question for you. How often do you change your coils? I've read many of your posts, which are very informative. I *think* your car is stock, so I'm just curious how often you're replacing coils?

I had to replace mine at 46K miles as I was getting a few high RPM misfires. My car has a nice tune and exhaust, but is otherwise stock. After plug and coil replacement, my car runs fantastic, and like you I'm pretty sure it's running/idling smoother than it was.

Thanks.
it's the spark plugs that fixed your issue, coils don't "decline"
Old 02-08-2016, 08:14 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by volv4life
Yea, they don't decline at least in testing I have tested some at 150,000mi and they will output the same as new. That being said I have seen a ton fail to output at all or at extremely reduced amount but it's much more a working or failed condition.

I need to test a 997 coil but keep forgetting.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:43 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by volv4life
exactly, they are either cracked or they are are not. while changing spark plugs should be a far more frequent occurrence... then add a tune to the equation?? lessen the change interval frequency even further forward.

plugs don't "crack"! they burnout.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl

Thanks.
Just once ( so far ) with the Turbo (at 140K miles). Not even once with the Boxster at nearly 300K miles. But the Boxster is scheduled to get new coils next service, at 300K miles.

Quick Reply: What do the following dates...