Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skene Design front license plate holder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 02:21 AM
docboy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Skene Design front license plate holder?

Has anyone tried the Skene Design front license plate holder? Looks like 2 very tiny screw are placed on the underside of the front bumper, making it less intrusive than some of the others that requires drilling 2 holes on the front of the bumper.

My state requires a front license plate, and I'm not sure how nit picky cops are in my area for this "infraction." So just exploring my options as I'm waiting my 996tt to be picked up and delivered...

http://skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml

The other option I was thinking of was this below; no drilling but it looks a little odd IMHO having the plate off centered. Besides, I was thinking of adding daytime LEDs in the front one of these days and I want everything to be symmetrical.

http://www.usmillworks.com/porsche_f..._tow_hook.html
Old 02-04-2016, 10:37 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have something similar to your second option. Very easy install as I have a 996C4S without parking sensors. Looks a bit off but it is better than a ticket. There are some towns around St Louis, MO that will give tickets for no front plate, BTDT.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 AM
sdm100
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Front plate

if they give you a ticket you can always fight it once you show it has been repaired. I keep a broken plate frame in the trunk. If they ever pull me over I tell them someone backed into me and broke the plate frame and am awaiting a replacement part. Then I have the tow hook mount which I can show the police at a later time and take it off once they inspect it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:49 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

the most efficient and least obtrusive solution to any plate holder I've seen or use is the one the use; the tow hook receptacle and merely screws in/out in a few turns at will. with the plate itself backed unto the metal/plastic adjustable piece that screws into the receptacle itself.
i leave the actual "tow hook" always connected to so there is always a 2 inch piece of metal protruding from that hole at all times plate on OR off, but i figure it's small price to pay i have so many tickets on PCH where for example giving out "no front plate" tickets is a contest, rather than a mere ajdunct to parking controls officers "job".

this is also true for cities like LA or calabasas where they are very diligent indeed about handing out those ( YOU LOSE! ) $25.00 coupons.

up in the designated "driving areas" of the santa monica mountains the LEO's do not care at ALL about that infraction and NEVER use that as an excuse to light someone it's a different story.

you'll still be able to affix some philips led's down the road if that remains your preference. it'll just depend upon your choice of front plate "placement". it will need to be more "middle" of the slats and less "left":.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:06 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

I like that tow hook mount. I'll get one of those or similar myself.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I am so glad my state does not require a front plate
Old 02-04-2016, 07:51 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I like that tow hook mount. I'll get one of those or similar myself.
i cant find the guy that made me a couple but this'll be a start. you'l find what you're looking for. the simpler the better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Angle-...lV90G8&vxp=mtr
Old 02-04-2016, 08:06 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i cant find the guy that made me a couple but this'll be a start. you'l find what you're looking for. the simpler the better

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Multi-Angle-...lV90G8&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the link!

Looks like a US Mill Work product but cheaper. $48 plus free shipping, good deal. No need to drill.

So it's down to above ebay product or the Skene Design.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:14 PM
Engineisoutback
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Front mount, just like this guy...
Attached Images  
Old 02-04-2016, 08:26 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by docboy
Thanks for the link!

Looks like a US Mill Work product but cheaper. $48 plus free shipping, good deal. No need to drill.

So it's down to above ebay product or the Skene Design.
mines even better constructed. i'll re-search again once i'm sober @2/3 am PST and see i if i can re-locate his email address..his is really the best I've seen. and he re-enforced mine as i lost one after wind got behind it at crazy speed and it disappeared. he fixed that and sent me a new one at N/C!. the best poly X metal and multiple placement choices also.

i'll look again.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:39 PM
docboy
Racer

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
mines even better constructed. i'll re-search again once i'm sober @2/3 am PST and see i if i can re-locate his email address..his is really the best I've seen. and he re-enforced mine as i lost one after wind got behind it at crazy speed and it disappeared. he fixed that and sent me a new one at N/C!. the best poly X metal and multiple placement choices also.

i'll look again.
LOL sober is good.

Still at a quandary at what to do. On one hand I prefer symmetry, and have future plans to add daytime running LEDs.

On other hand, tow hook seem so easy.

My local P car dealership quoted me $80 front license plate mount w/free install. So this got me thinking, what are those 2 small "buttons" near the center front of the bumper? Are those areas for the license plate holder?
Old 02-05-2016, 04:03 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by docboy
LOL sober is good.

Still at a quandary at what to do. On one hand I prefer symmetry, and have future plans to add daytime running LEDs.

On other hand, tow hook seem so easy.

My local P car dealership quoted me $80 front license plate mount w/free install. So this got me thinking, what are those 2 small "buttons" near the center front of the bumper? Are those areas for the license plate holder?
yes and they're buck ugl once gone in favor of the plate! and presumably why most take their chances and run without one. theres even a place that makes paint matched sets of plugs for the holes!

i searched his email deleted all of it.. cant find it. must've been on a previous laptop. I've gone back to drinkin'. sorry i wasn't able to be more helpful.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:50 PM
docboy
Racer

Anyone with a 996tt who has the Skene Design holder installed? Looking for a pic.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:12 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 130 Posts

Leave it off and consider yourself lucky if that's what you get pulled for. Car looks like **** with a plate on it.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:09 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

so do sending 35 $ checks along with having to got to the local CHP to show compliance and the go*dammed thing signed off on, when all you need to do when parking in a metered spot is affix the plate holder!

this looks look good as well, and it's also a 2 min on/off procedure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bumper-Tow-H...5WkCLh&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Skene Design front license plate holder?