Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Cooler

Old 01-12-2016, 04:18 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Transmission Cooler

After looking at a few helpful posts, here's what I came up with.
Works great for shipping, not so much for keeping from replacing the other parts pictured!

Since it sounded a while back like some may be having transmission concerns, I thought it would be good to show you how to at least pack it up easy. The rest was beyond me so I had Brian Copans help determine what should be done while it was apart.

The next couple weeks I'll be putting it back in and can report back the difference. Prior to then, I can tell you that it was a great experience working with Brian and the rebuild was accomplished in a timely manner for a reasonable cost.
Attached Images    
Old 01-12-2016, 04:43 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cooler is a great idea as long as it doesn't get too heavy lol.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:20 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

In January I said "next couple weeks I'll be putting it back in...
Finally, it's in and I have almost completed the project. That sentence will be funny in a few months too, I'm sure.
I decided to go with the front of car placement for a transmission cooler.

Here's some pics of what I did to mount a pump. There's a nice bracket that holds water hoses to the transmission and I took it off to mount a plate of steel on that hold the Mocal pump. I still need to connect the filter and wires but the hard parts are done now. The trans cooling ducts clear this set up and you can access the fill plug without removing anything.
Attached Images        

Last edited by 911mhawk; 05-23-2016 at 12:55 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 04-22-2016, 05:17 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess you track your car?
Old 04-23-2016, 02:12 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Yes, a little bit.
Not interested in another trans rebuild so I thought I'd take a little preventative measures.
Old 04-23-2016, 01:05 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

are you running a pump to circulate the gear oil? pwdrhound has a great writeup on a trans coller install
Old 04-24-2016, 03:24 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Yes a Mocal pump and filter, just figured out where I want to mount it. The bracket that holds the water pipes up to the bottom of the transmission looks like it will make for a slick fit. Just need to spend a little more time laying out the routing of the pieces. Have the lines run from the front, it is a tight fit getting two -8 hoses through the body without them touching anything they shouldn't. Filter and gauge port fitting add a couple more things to squeeze in. Looks like no problem until you put the engine and trans back in and realize how little space is really available if you want to keep everything tidy and rattle free.

Saw hounds post and it works well for him according to the temps he reported. I spoke with Brian about it while he was doing my transmission and he suggested just running it up front as it is difficult to find cool air in the rear. The cooler I eyeball measured happened to fit perfectly inside the center radiator
Old 04-25-2016, 09:38 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
Yes a Mocal pump and filter, just figured out where I want to mount it. The bracket that holds the water pipes up to the bottom of the transmission looks like it will make for a slick fit. Just need to spend a little more time laying out the routing of the pieces. Have the lines run from the front, it is a tight fit getting two -8 hoses through the body without them touching anything they shouldn't. Filter and gauge port fitting add a couple more things to squeeze in. Looks like no problem until you put the engine and trans back in and realize how little space is really available if you want to keep everything tidy and rattle free.

Saw hounds post and it works well for him according to the temps he reported. I spoke with Brian about it while he was doing my transmission and he suggested just running it up front as it is difficult to find cool air in the rear. The cooler I eyeball measured happened to fit perfectly inside the center radiator
Your set up will work well. I am using a NACA duct with a scoop to force air from under the car over the oil cooler. Works well. Placing it in the front like you're doing will be even more effective. With my set up, I've never seen gearbox temps over 230F even on the hottest long track session days. Usually I'm right at 200F.
Old 04-26-2016, 02:53 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

The only issue I'm running into is packaging everything up nice with a big filter in the mix. Got the engine running last night and went for first drive today so I'll finish the pump and wiring this weekend and hit the track. Any chance you ditched the Brockway when you went Motec? It looks like they are no longer in business but I haven't looked much yet.
Old 04-26-2016, 04:06 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,689 Likes on 985 Posts

The only issue I'm running into is packaging everything up nice with a big filter in the mix. Got the engine running last night and went for first drive today so I'll finish the pump and wiring this weekend and hit the track. Any chance you ditched the Brockway when you went Motec? It looks like they are no longer in business but I haven't looked much yet.
Yes, I got rid of the Brockway. They are out of business now. I display everything now through Motec including the Transmission oil temp.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:45 AM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

Very cool setup!

What track are you going to this weekend?
Old 04-28-2016, 03:26 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by T10Chris
Very cool setup!

What track are you going to this weekend?
No track yet this year, need to connect the pump on the trans.
I'll go to quite a few power lunches this year.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:03 PM
T10Chris
Three Wheelin'

Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

No track yet this year, need to connect the pump on the trans.
I'll go to quite a few power lunches this year.
Ahhh I misunderstood, thought an earlier post mentioned you were taking her out this weekend.

The power lunches at Pacific? I've been keen to head out for one of those. Maybe I'll see you there one day.
Old 04-28-2016, 01:09 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Ahhh I misunderstood, thought an earlier post mentioned you were taking her out this weekend.

The power lunches at Pacific? I've been keen to head out for one of those. Maybe I'll see you there one day.
PM me and we can coordinate, or, just figure I'll be there. Great way to get an hour and not spend all day.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:16 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Next Thursday the 12th there is a lapping day and school running too if you want/need to attend. See you there???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler