0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

How much would you pay for wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 04:23 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't know but I've run no less than 4 sets of them since the 90's and never had a problem. They've been around since the 70's. Seems like some others are having success with the brand too...

"End of the F1 season with a podium for OZ and Scuderia Ferrari

29/11/2015

Abu Dhabi GP and 2015 season end with the podium for Scuderia Ferrari and Kimi Raikkonen. The Finn kept the third position from the start to the checkered flag thanks to an intense race, managed with great intelligence both by the driver and by the team. Amazing race for Vettel: started from three quarters of the grid, thanks to the strategy of the team and a particularly high performing SF15-T, he managed to recover a great 4th position.

Wheels for Scuderia Ferrari SF15-T are designed and produced by OZ in Italy."
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

I had very poor luck with my OZ's, would never buy again.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:59 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't have any interest in the new Chinese wheels at $1300-1800.
I lucked into a forged one piece wheel set from a top brand for $2K and would still be running OE had I not.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
I had very poor luck with my OZ's, would never buy again.
!?! you were a scant month ahead of me!?? do tell..

please!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:05 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

I have a pretzel of a 1 month old rear OZ...it's bent in every single dimension despite no large impacts or abuse. Bent in the spoke/hub/barrel...
OZ claim it was something I did and wouldn't take any responsibility or warranty action, not even offering a replacement at cost...I'm very conscious of how I treat my car, and being the only driver I know if something happened...
Somehow my stock wheels after 12 years, and a couple previous owners(of the car), are still true and straight...hmmm
I think it's a metalugy/manufacturing issue on that particular wheel, but customer service at OZ sealed the deal for me...

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
!?! you were a scant month ahead of me!?? do tell..

please!
Old 01-06-2016, 05:11 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

wow. more than bizarre. if anyone ever needed a reference as to someone taking the best possible car of their cars and parts etc.. i mean who else cleans the cosmoline!? geez, bud..sorry to hear that!..

wow...well, GL with the next set of whatever you get!.. there are many of us that follow you and john and what you guys do with your cars as "well, if THEY did it" lol...

best of luck on the next set. curious at the VERY least! ) to see what you get!
cheers...
Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Which OZ model were they?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM
kalio12
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
I sent a message to the folks at Apex to make some Porsche specific wheels. They are great on my BMW as track wheels light, strong AND cheap! Sets for usually 1000 - 1200, and much more aesthetically pleasing IMO than some of the other cheaper brands available.

Everyone help inundate them with email/messages and maybe we can get another supplier on the market!

I agree, a friend of mine runs a set of apex wheels on his 1series and they are light, strong, and excellently priced!

I myself paid about $600 for someones old oem turbo twists track set of wheels as a replacement for the heavy and cumbersome wheels my car came with. As mentioned before OZ wheels are also great and well priced. However I'm partial to ccw c12s, which sometimes appear in the classifieds for around $2000.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:26 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Really appreciate the kind words!
John's car(and parts budget) is baller/Cup grade; I'm the young guy here and work with a tight budget(I need a new job lol) but try to make smart/technical-minded purchases when possible, it is turning out nice and is very effective!
I'm sure most won't have issue with their OZ's, but I'm also not afraid to point out the Con's of a product/company, not everything is a win...and poor customer service is one of the biggest losses IMO.
Sticking with stock for a while, heavy(and you can feel it) but durable and still look pretty in my eyes. Maybe some Forgeline's or Finspeed's when the wallet allows...
Many Cheers,
Rob

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
wow. more than bizarre. if anyone ever needed a reference as to someone taking the best possible car of their cars and parts etc.. i mean who else cleans the cosmoline!? geez, bud..sorry to hear that!..

wow...well, GL with the next set of whatever you get!.. there are many of us that follow you and john and what you guys do with your cars as "well, if THEY did it" lol...

best of luck on the next set. curious at the VERY least! ) to see what you get!
cheers...
Allegritta in stock GT2 dimensions
Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Which OZ model were they?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:41 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Are you talking about wheels made by a manufacturer with a two letter name? The Wizard of ....?
It wasn't OZ and I don't know a whole bunch about OZ's wheels as I personally have never ran them or tested them.
Old 01-06-2016, 06:47 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

For me to spend more than $3,000 on a set of wheels, they'd have to be something spectacular. Here's an example I'd spend maybe $3,500 on:
https://rennlist.com/forums/928-foru...l#post12760378

They are 18" phone dials for my 928S4. I think they would look incredible and be a significant upgrade from my current OEM manhole covers. Problem is, they are basically custom made and looks like the pricing is $5,000 for the set. That's nearly 40% of the value of my 928, so I don't see that happening.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,721 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The OEM GT2 8.5/12x18 wheels built by BBS. Beautiful timeless design and super strong. The only drawback is weight as they are incredibly heavy. I had a set and the rears weighted over 32 lbs each if I recall. Unfortunately that is a lot of extra unsprung mass compared to lighter options. I think Porsche made the 05 version of the GT2 wheels a little lighter but they are extremely rare. I have had a ton of wheels over the years and my personal favorite are Finspeed F110 of which I have a couple of sets. They are forged wheels built to order including offsets to work perfectly with custom applications. They are one of the only manufacturers that offers wheel bead knurling as an option. This was a must have item for me as every other wheel would result in the tires rotating on the rim when using slicks. Finspeeds are very light with the 9x12x18s weighing in the area of 19lbs front and 23lbs rear depending on options. I had mine built with the RT and bead knurl options, and finished with a ceramic coating. The ceramic coating is very nice as it keeps rubber and other junk from sticking to the wheel. They are easy to wipe off. Price of these wheels ranges from $4200 to about $6000 per set depending of options. I have 2 hard track seasons on both sets of these and they have remained dead straight and true.

The other wheels I really like are the motorsport BBS E88s. Very nice wheel but $$$$

http://finspeed.com/wheels/

OZ are very good wheels for the money. Many guys use them at the track. You must have had a defective casting Rob which caused the wheel to bend so easily. I'm surprised OZ (or tire rack) would not step up and make it right. It always sux when this happens as it puts a bad taste in your mouth about giving them any more business. Sorry to hear that. I used to run CCW and a couple of year back I had a forged CCW C10 18x9 bend significantly from dropping two off at the track. There was no visible gouge or impact on the wheel but it bent significantly. I only noticed it when I went to mount up new tires and we spun it up. It happens even on forged wheels from time to time.

Last edited by powdrhound; 01-06-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-06-2016, 07:49 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Love the Finspeed's! F5 and F110 are my favourite styles. Bead knurling is 100% the way to go, was another thing that really bugged my about the OZ's, tires rotated a lot! Stock wheels they do a bit as well, but way less.
GT2 twists are mega heavy!!!
I was shocked when I received the news that the warranty was denied, my guy at Tirerack was great to deal with as always, but said flat-out that OZ was completely washing their hands of my POS semi-circular thing they made...because the down time was many weeks waiting for warranty inspection, I had to buy a new wheel so I didn't lose the latter-half of the season...pissed is the word...will see how they hold up on my dad's 6TT...
For sure a big impact will damage ANY wheel, but really was careful with the OZ wheels, GT2 wheels I'm more aggressive with and no issues
Wonder if anyone from OZ ever reads here or cares...

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The OEM GT2 8.5/12x18 wheels built by BBS. Beautiful timeless design and super strong. The only drawback is weight as they are incredibly heavy. I had a set and the rears weighted over 32 lbs each if I recall. Unfortunately that is a lot of extra unsprung mass compared to lighter options. I think Porsche made the 05 version of the GT2 wheels a little lighter but they are extremely rare. I have had a ton of wheels over the years and my personal favorite are Finspeed F110 of which I have a couple of sets. They are forged wheels built to order including offsets to work perfectly with custom applications. They are one of the only manufacturers that offers wheel bead knurling as an option. This was a must have item for me as every other wheel would result in the tires rotating on the rim when using slicks. Finspeeds are very light with the 9x12x18s weighing in the area of 19lbs front and 23lbs rear depending on options. I had mine built with the RT and bead knurl options, and finished with a ceramic coating. The ceramic coating is very nice as it keeps rubber and other junk from sticking to the wheel. They are easy to wipe off. Price of these wheels ranges from $4200 to about $6000 per set depending of options. I have 2 hard track seasons on both sets of these and they have remained dead straight and true.

The other wheels I really like are the motorsport BBS E88s. Very nice wheel but $$$$

http://finspeed.com/wheels/

OZ are very good wheels for the money. Many guys use them at the track. You must have had a defective casting Rob which caused the wheel to bend so easily. I'm surprised OZ (or tire rack) would not step up and make it right. It always sux when this happens as it puts a bad taste in your mouth about giving them any more business. Sorry to hear that. I used to run CCW and a couple of year back I had a forged CCW C10 18x9 bend significantly from dropping two off at the track. There was no visible gouge or impact on the wheel but it bent significantly. I only noticed it when I went to mount up new tires and we spun it up. It happens even on forged wheels from time to time.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:20 PM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Rob, I'm really surprised they didn't help you out. That sux. I was about to ask if you got them from Tire Rack, seems like they are the biggest seller of them here in US. Have you tried contacting them directly?

The Finspeeds do look awesome. I like the F110 as well, I'm really liking 10 spokes right now (running 10 spokes on the CTT and 996TT right now). I just wish they were a little less $$$ .. over $4k Even if they were $3999 at least it would sound better lol...between the seats that I want and a set of forged wheels I'm close to $10k ...this car is going to be the end of me...lol
Old 01-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is my 5 lug wheel of choice for motorsports.

http://www.forgeline.com/products/co...s1r-17-18.html

When it comes to picking a wheel there is so much more to consider then just weight and forming process (Cast/Forged/etc.. etc..)

The wheels I was referring to earlier as being problematic for us as a racing team are Rays/Volk Engineering TE37SL but we had issues with others. We wrote off like 40 wheels in the past few years for those cars of various Volk Designs.

As all of you likely know the Volk Wheel is a Form Forged wheel which is absolutely top of the line. The Form Forged Billets allow for far less grain structure problems in the aluminum from machining. However, there is a downside to the design which is that as they pull out the outside lip it is completely non supported allowing the outside lip to be far weaker then a billet and machined style wheel like the forgeline shown.

The Rim design also plays a major role in the flex of the wheel. As you can imagine wheels like all other things flex during use and the stronger the wheel the less flex you get which can have effect on alot of dynamics.

The Rim Design also plays a roll in strength overall, we had to not run rear diffusers on DP cars because of wheel collapses in 2014 at the Roar. Those wheels were BBS which are a fantastic (like seriously they are the best wheel made) wheel but they were never designed for that type of load with the 3pc design and wheel barrel design used. There is nothing worse then having a catastrophic wheel failure on the high banks at 200mph!.

BBS is certainly capable of making a strong enough wheel for the task but teams were simply running older wheels from past seasons when down-force levels were much lower.

A major part in racing wheels for someone like myself and many top teams and what really cost us is the ability to do a pit stop quickly. The Forgeline open wheel lug style is absolutely fantastic as a wheel changer and its what really completes the package for me.

Quick Reply: How much would you pay for wheels?