996TT - More Snow pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,231 Likes on 1,440 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
It doesn't matter which tire is bigger or smaller. As long as its within 3%, the viscous fluid is cool and not engaged. If either input, rear or front, spins faster, the fluid hardens and locks the coupler, then power is transmitted to the front regardless of which input caused it to harden.
That's how I understand it.
I have heard differently.

The fluid, which if I remember correctly is a type of silicone, is always transferring rotation force one way or the other with any perceived rotational speed difference rear to front. That is why the system runs at a normal constant 95/5 power split with OEM summer tire sizes.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:56 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I have heard differently.

The fluid, which if I remember correctly is a type of silicone, is always transferring rotation force one way or the other with any perceived rotational speed difference rear to front. That is why the system runs at a normal constant 95/5 power split with OEM summer tire sizes.
I don't think it matters which direction either of the two sets of disk are spinning.
Wikipedia has a good explanation of how it works, I think this sums it up well.
"This type of device essentially differs from fluid couplings such as torque converters by using the viscosity of the medium to transfer torque, rather than its momentum"
Old 02-05-2016, 03:02 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

always transferring rotation force one way or the other with any perceived rotational speed difference rear to front.
I think that part might be wrong. The power will always be coming from the rear to the front.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:09 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That's correct, but I don't think it matters which direction either of the two sets of disk are spinning.
Wikipedia has a good explanation of how it works, I think this sums it up well.
"This type of device essentially differs from fluid couplings such as torque converters by using the viscosity of the medium to transfer torque, rather than its momentum"
Yes, understand and acknowledge that unlike the hydraulic fluid in a torque converter the viscous coupling fluid thickens when force is introduced and power transfer increases as the rotational force increases via that thickening.

It just myself and others do not like the idea of the winter tire sizes that in static driving have the rotational force going in what we consider to be the wrong direction. Especial when there are winter tire size combinations available that match the rear/front diameter ratios of the summer sizes. There is a consistency there that I logically can not ignore.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I think that part might be wrong. The power will always be coming from the rear to the front.
It can't if the front wheels are a smaller diameter and spinning that side of the coupling faster than the transmission/engine side.

That is the basis of how the system works. The wheels that are spinning faster, IE loosing grip, have power transferred away from them.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Yes, understand and acknowledge that unlike the hydraulic fluid in a torque converter the viscous coupling fluid thickens when force is introduced and power transfer increases as the rotational force increases via that thickening.

It just myself and others do not like the idea of the winter tire sizes that in static driving have the rotational force going in what we consider to be the wrong direction. Especial when there are winter tire size combinations available that match the rear/front diameter ratios of the summer sizes. There is a consistency there that I logically can not ignore.
I get it, I changed my tires to have smaller ones in the rear too. Now, I just don't believe it matters.
There is no "wrong" direction, both directions make the fluid harden.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:25 PM
Jyrki951
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by xmaciek82x
Love the winter shots. If I ever end up getting my 996tt, it will definitely be winter driven. Do you guys buy winter tires for the stock rear 11" wheel or do you go narrower? Finding a winter tire for the front is easy, not so much for the rear I would imagine.
Hi, Yes, I'm having winter tires on Turbo's stock wheels i.e. 11" wide rear. Front tires are 215/45 and rear 275/35. I'm driving at winter time only when it's clear cold day = guaranteed no salt on road...

A comment about 996 turbo as a winter car: After Epiphany it was very cold day and battery of daily commuter Subaru totally died = had to take turbo out of the garage. The car worked very well, only the rear wing refused to lift up @temperature -27,5 C / -17,5 F

Cheers, Jyrki
Old 02-05-2016, 04:03 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is enough "slack" in the fluid to account for the tiny variance in the factory recommended winter tire set up.

Im not talking about a drastic difference in sizing where your concerns may actually materialize.

oe spec? forget it, nothing to worry about. thats the end of it.

It just so happens I run similar ratio as the "summer" set up. But that came down to available sizes in the tires more than anything else.

are you an engineer or mechanic?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breakfast
... are you an engineer or mechanic?
I went to school for both but I currently practiced neither professionally.

And there is no "slack" in the system. If you put your turbo up on a lift with the transmission in neutral and spin the front tires just the slightest bit the rears will start to turn as well. A viscous coupling is an extremely simple device. There are no electronic controls whatsoever. All it knows is the speed of one spinning disk versus the speed of another spinning disk. It divides the torque split accordingly.

IMHO the differences in the front to rear tire diameters matter.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 02-05-2016 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:54 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think its fair to say you may have forgotten some of your properties of materials and design theory.

No one is saying differences don't matter. Its the size of the difference that matters. And the oem winter spec falls within these limits. Easily.

Nevermind the fact that the rears wear quicker than the fronts so how long is that minuscule difference lasting?
Old 02-06-2016, 05:14 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breakfast
Well I think its fair to say you may have forgotten some of your properties of materials and design theory.

No one is saying differences don't matter.....
I don't think it is "fair to say" I have forgotten anything. Viscous couplings are not rocket science, not even close. So simple they are unforgettable.

And you do seem to be saying differences don't matter.

As I said at the beginning we can go back-and-forth about our opinions forever but the mechanical engineering is what it is and my opinion is based on that.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:54 AM
carreragt2e
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great pictures!
Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM
Serg924
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 10 Posts

Before

And after :-)
Old 02-21-2016, 06:12 PM