Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a perfect gem: '01 TT w/6800 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 11:57 AM
hyboost
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 37 Posts

Guys, the car will be driven. It doesn't need to see track events for me to get some good use out of an outstanding performance car. While it will be babied and waxed and always maintained, I plan to put some miles on it any chance I get. Its not my daily, but I will use any excuse I can to get behind the wheel.

And for the track, my frankenstein e30m3 is plenty, running head to head laps with gt3/gt3rs with the PBOC crew down here. I'm already the sole M3 surrounded by Porsches, which makes it fun.

Great stories by others with similar purchases. Good to see the feedback after a few years of your ownership. Sounds like I made the right move.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:02 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
^Hope your kidding as there are plenty of better choices for the track and 996ts are getting rare in this condition.
Agreed.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:05 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hyboost
It doesn't need to see track events for me to get some good use out of an outstanding performance car.
I approach driving my 996 Turbo with exactly the same mindset.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by m3driver
If you are not going to drive it, and I mean really drive it, that you might as well sell it and start collecting stamps.
I couldn't disagree with you more.

Porsche didn't build the 996 Turbo to be a track car.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:55 PM
The NSX dude
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock

Agree with Dock, 996 values seem to on the rise and nice ones are getting harder and harder to find.

A wise man once told me, never track anything you wouldn't push off a cliff.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:57 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by The NSX dude
A wise man once told me, never track anything you wouldn't push off a cliff.
well put. i like that!
Old 12-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,227 Likes on 1,437 Posts

You are confusing a "track car" with driving on track. They're not the same thing at all.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You are confusing a "track car" with driving on track. They're not the same thing at all.
I'm confusing nothing.

What in the world do you think these two comments (from two different people here) mean??... "It would be a shame not to beat on that thing at the track" and "...It is what they were built to do [taken to the track]"

What do you think driving on the track means? Using your turn signal when changing direction laterally? Maybe keeping the RPM under 3000, and the lateral g under 0.02?

These cars do not have to be beaten up on the track, or even driven on the track for that matter, to be enjoyed by owners.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:55 PM
hyboost
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 37 Posts

I spoke to a guy at Sebring a couple weeks ago who had his silver 996tt on track and he was having a blast. Car looked quick out there. No question that with the right pads/tires and possibly some suspension/alignment, the car would be a beast on track.

I also know Chris from USP Motorsports and I was a passenger in his 900whp 996tt at PBIR. The most frightening experience ever and I spend my life on track. All the credit to Chris and his driving skill for being able to handle all that power, but when it spooled up...you better hold on. It was fun!

The help with the debate: it appears that the car has a dual personality. It can be a fun weekend cruiser or a terror on a track. It all depends on what the owner intends to get out of it. For me, I get my kicks from this on track and will use the 996tt for some "spirited" driving on some backroads and highways. If I didn't have the race car, I would be very tempted to crank out some laps with the Porsche.

Old 12-24-2015, 02:09 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rmc1148
^Hope your kidding as there are plenty of better choices for the track and 996ts are getting rare in this condition.
Might be better choices for the track(I'm a fan of having a dedicated track car) but smiles per miles driven not much is close. I have 135k on mine most all put there by me. As far as the investment goes I could throw the car away and it wouldn't owe me a dime. Driven hard but maintained well, it still looks brand new. The biggest loss comes from letting them sit. Get out and drive!! To the OP great find, enjoy the car
Old 12-24-2015, 02:12 PM
Eazy996
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see another beautiful 996 is now on the streets in S. Fl. Congrats on the find!
Old 12-24-2015, 02:15 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
Might be better choices for the track(I'm a fan of having a dedicated track car) but smiles per miles driven not much is close. I have 135k on mine most all put there by me. As far as the investment goes I could throw the car away and it wouldn't owe me a dime. Driven hard but maintained well, it still looks brand new. The biggest loss comes from letting them sit. Get out and drive!! To the OP great find, enjoy the car
+996
You dared disagree with the all powerful though, so let the vitriol spew.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:23 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm confusing nothing.

What in the world do you think these two comments (from two different people here) mean??... "It would be a shame not to beat on that thing at the track" and "...It is what they were built to do [taken to the track]"

What do you think driving on the track means? Using your turn signal when changing direction laterally? Maybe keeping the RPM under 3000, and the lateral g under 0.02?

These cars do not have to be beaten up on the track, or even driven on the track for that matter, to be enjoyed by owners.
You are clearly very confused and have clearly never participated in a well run HPDE.

Driving your car on track does not abuse it in the slightest. Driving on track is just like driving on the street except there are no speed limits. That small difference makes all the difference in the world. You will never understand it until you do it.

You, and your car, do not know what you are missing.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:27 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hyboost

......The help with the debate: it appears that the car has a dual personality. It can be a fun weekend cruiser or a terror on a track. It all depends on what the owner intends to get out of it. For me, I get my kicks from this on track and will use the 996tt for some "spirited" driving on some backroads and highways. If I didn't have the race car, I would be very tempted to crank out some laps with the Porsche.
Perfectly said, and even with your great BMW track car the more you drive your TT the more you might be tempted. They are a blast at full chat.
Old 12-24-2015, 02:30 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
You are clearly very confused and have clearly never participated in a well run HPDE.

Driving your car on track does not abuse it in the slightest. Driving on track is just like driving on the street except there are no speed limits. That small difference makes all the difference in the world. You will never understand it until you do it.

You, and your car, do not know what you are missing.
Oh man, now you've done it!

Quick Reply: Found a perfect gem: '01 TT w/6800 miles