Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996 Turbo - Actual Auction Price List - Past 2 years - Mecum, Barrett, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 08:54 AM
gophaster
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I honestly did not think it would flip that high/easily. +didn't even take new photos for the advert There are definitely folks taking positions in 996TT and willing to pay solid money for them.

Great investigating! I visited the auction house website a couple times to see if they posted the results. Was going to shoot them an email.

Probably not the last time we see that car. Wouldn't be surprised if it turns up at a more Porsche oriented auction and gets into the 6 digits

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
This fellow did well flipping this car. The auction sale was posted on Facebook but without a price so I ask in the comments and received this reply:

Bought it two months ago for $53,500 plus buyer's premium. Sold it yesterday for $70,000 plus premium.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:35 AM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911
Actually, the PCCB's are much better for street driven cars. As someone else mentioned, the lack of brake dust is one huge reason. But also, with street use, they will last a VERY long time. They are NOT good for Track driven cars, not the 1st Gen PCCB's that are adorned by the 996TT's. They were known to crack and suffer prematurely when driven on track. Infact, even buyers of current gen cars who do a lot of tracking, opt for the non-ceramic brakes. Yes, Ceramics are lighter and perform better. However, they're cost and premature wear (when used on track) are huge deterrents for ordering PCCB's. Yes professional teams use them. But that's because they're more about performance at all costs and replace the brakes pretty much every single race anyway. But to say PCCB's on a 996TT are more track oriented is a misnomer and incorrect. Just throwing this out there because I wouldn't want someone who's new to the 996TT and considering the purchase of one and get incorrect info. The reason I say it is a misnomer, is because you're right, Porsche did actually first tout them as the better more trackable brakes. That was prior to the multitude of complaints they received once they started cracking and suffering from premature wear due to track use.
Thanks; I guess I bought into the perceived benefit as pitched, partly because I only investigated so much as I just can't see spending that much for brakes and I HATE yellow. My overall point is just that I think the red brakes are great and the cost threat of PCCB's are going to make a lot of folks shy away. Granted less dust would be great but there are cheaper ways to at least reduce that issue. The longer service interval is only so relevant as the standard brakes last fairly long anyway other than track use. Again, very few cars actually see the track in the first place. To me, none of the gains hold much against $20K for 4 rotors esp since it is a when not an if expenditure.

As to the car a few posts back that was on Ebay; it was ended early because it is no longer available. I wonder if the dealer learned about the recent trajectory or if they sold it?
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM
manimal
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Great summary on PCCB's, thank you Scott.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:37 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by AZPcarfan
Thanks; I guess I bought into the perceived benefit as pitched, partly because I only investigated so much as I just can't see spending that much for brakes and I HATE yellow. My overall point is just that I think the red brakes are great and the cost threat of PCCB's are going to make a lot of folks shy away. Granted less dust would be great but there are cheaper ways to at least reduce that issue. The longer service interval is only so relevant as the standard brakes last fairly long anyway other than track use. Again, very few cars actually see the track in the first place. To me, none of the gains hold much against $20K for 4 rotors esp since it is a when not an if expenditure.

As to the car a few posts back that was on Ebay; it was ended early because it is no longer available. I wonder if the dealer learned about the recent trajectory or if they sold it?
AZP, I'm definitely not going to try to change your opinion but I'll offer an additional view. I have three generations of Porsches with 3 generations of brakes. My 993 has the 4 piston big reds that come on the 993 turbo and they have amazing stopping power. The PCCB brakes on my 996, even on the street, outperform the steel big reds. This is not a knock on the 4 piston units, they are far superior to most cars' braking systems. Porsches have always been known for their brakes. All three of my Porsche brakes are much better than the brakes on my M5. So to support what you said, in most all driving situations one will encounter, steel brake rotors are exceptional and all that's needed. In controlled situations, I've put my cars through emergency stop tests and I can tell you the PCCB braking is more brutal and the stopping distances much shorter before ABS kicks in. Knock on wood, I've never had an emergency braking situation arise while driving on the street. But I can tell you if someone's kid runs out in front of a Porsche, a three foot stopping distance advantage can be all it takes; PCCB brakes provides the advantage of a shorter stopping distance in panic situations. I'm sure in the future, PCCB's will be old news and something better will come along. That's just the way of technology.

Personally, I think the fear of replacing PCCB rotors is over rated. Nothing says you have to replace PCCB rotors with PCCB rotors. That is a personal choice. The same option to go to steel rotors exists for the PCCB owner that exists for the owner that doesn't have PCCB brakes. So the replacement cost you must incur is no more than for replacing standard rotors. Now if you want to maintain the PCCB system for resale or whatever, then yes PCCB replacement is expensive. Just my opinion.

(and no brake dust)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:04 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well put!

For street use, I LOVE the PCCBs...less brake dust for one, and the rotor size just LOOKS great....
Old 03-24-2017, 08:40 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by autobonrun
My 993 has the 4 piston big reds that come on the 993 turbo and they have amazing stopping power. The PCCB brakes on my 996, even on the street, outperform the steel big reds....In controlled situations, I've put my cars through emergency stop tests and I can tell you the PCCB braking is more brutal and the stopping distances much shorter before ABS kicks in.
I'm thinking that the steel brakes and PCCB's are capable of producing the same deceleration rate (all other factors being equal).
Old 03-24-2017, 09:48 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I'm thinking that the steel brakes and PCCB's are capable of producing the same deceleration rate (all other factors being equal).
Other factors can never be equal. All the brake components are made of very different materials.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by autobonrun
Knock on wood, I've never had an emergency braking situation arise while driving on the street. But I can tell you if someone's kid runs out in front of a Porsche, a three foot stopping distance advantage can be all it takes; PCCB brakes provides the advantage of a shorter stopping distance in panic situations.
If "panic situations" mean ABS engagement, then for panic stops in normal street driving there shouldn't be a three foot stopping distance difference (all other factors being equal) as both steel brakes and PCCB's are capable of generating enough deceleration to engage the ABS.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:09 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

One word: tires and all that that implies..

There are just too many variables involved; honestly, this is just reverse butt dyno-ing.. Seat belt dyno-ing maybe?

I'm not really that negative on PCCB's, I just think that if one is realistic about their value they just don't make sense. The best thing anyone can really come up with is less brake dust! I could hire someone to come to my house and wash my wheels weekly for less. Or, I could spend a few hours and wax my wheels and then buy a 944 track car and many sets of tires and track days..
Old 03-24-2017, 12:13 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

...I just think that if one is realistic about their value they just don't make sense. The best thing anyone can really come up with is less brake dust!
+1
Old 03-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

One word: tires and all that that implies..

There are just too many variables involved; honestly, this is just reverse butt dyno-ing.. Seat belt dyno-ing maybe?

I'm not really that negative on PCCB's, I just think that if one is realistic about their value they just don't make sense. The best thing anyone can really come up with is less brake dust! I could hire someone to come to my house and wash my wheels weekly for less. Or, I could spend a few hours and wax my wheels and then buy a 944 track car and many sets of tires and track days..
Better steering feel, better ride due to lower weight of rotating mass, lower weight, more durable, better brake pedal feel, no dust, doesn't fade when braking repeatedly.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:52 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Berra
better ride due to lower weight of rotating mass,.
Sorry for the slow response, I was admiring the sunrise over the ocean from my deck here in Tucson..
Old 03-24-2017, 01:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

The most important benefit of PCCBs is their light weight. Reducing unsprung mass is an easy way the achieve major performance gains.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unsprung_mass

Lower unsprung mass makes the car accelerate and decelerate quicker.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 03-24-2017 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:04 PM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry for the slow response, I was admiring the sunrise over the ocean from my deck here in Tucson..
I'll be sure to write that down on a post it.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:40 PM
AZPcarfan
Track Day

Originally Posted by Berra
I'll be sure to write that down on a post it.
I only trademarked for the U.S. so feel free to use it with reasonable discretion..

While I was certainly being overtly sarcastic, my point was that ride quality is very subjective. How did you reach the conclusion that the PCCB car rides better? Did you have access to two otherwise identically equipped and prepared cars to drive back/back? Sorry, but really..

With that, how about we stop discussing PCCB's? I'm sure there are countless threads on the topic so let's call it a truce and get back to the skyrocketing values of 996TT's

Anyone have any idea how often Haggerty updates their values? I keep checking to see if the recent auctions will be reflected but nothing has changed..

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo - Actual Auction Price List - Past 2 years - Mecum, Barrett, etc...