Tranzit install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2015, 12:35 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tranzit install

Wanted to stream in my new (to me) 996tt. I ordered the tranzit blu hf from bumper plugs along with an adapter and door lock plug.

My car is an 03 with cdr23 radio, no pcm and no cd changer.

I also wanted a clean install without cutting any wires.

I first removed both from side panels forward of the stacked console and the cubby and cd holder.

I used the Becker keys to remove the radio and found ground (Brn) and stitched acc power to the radio harness (white). I then disconnected the radio completely.

I used a power lead from mirrortap.com and slide them into the above ports on the back on the radio harness. Wedge fit (0.080" size) with no cutting, then secured it to the other wires. These have a 2 amp inline just like the tranzit so should be adequate to power.

I ran the wires from the telephone button under the batwing, didn't have to remove it.

I brought all the wires up through on the drivers side (L) and found that the radio area is extra deep in that side. Plenty of room in there to have the new additional wires and control box sit. Extra wiring was zip ties back to itself, including the 1/8" phone output not used in this application.

I wedged the mic between the upper and lower consoles. Quick this way although may options exist and there is plenty of cord given.Name:  photo52.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  955.9 KB
Deeper on the left side
Name:  photo376.jpg
Views: 1042
Size:  931.7 KB I had to use this adapter.
Name:  photo447.jpg
Views: 1034
Size:  893.9 KB the red wire spade is seen next to wire power lead on the left
Name:  photo887.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  872.5 KB here was my factory antenna connector
Name:  photo116.jpg
Views: 1020
Size:  946.6 KB voila
Name:  photo403.jpg
Views: 1028
Size:  1.09 MB ready to play some tunes.

In a very short time it was in and worked perfectly with the radio display also showing song info. Siri seamless also. Not sure how Dension is 5x better based on pricing.

I also didn't disconnect the battery but made sure accessory retained power was timed out when making splices. Thx
Jason952
Old 11-09-2015, 12:43 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Also, I found this unused harness behind my cubby area, had 4 wires. Is it for some option I don't have?Name:  photo673.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  1.01 MB
Old 11-09-2015, 10:13 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
Also, I found this unused harness behind my cubby area, had 4 wires. Is it for some option I don't have?Attachment 989479
That is the telephone plug....
Old 11-09-2015, 10:47 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thx, then that would also be a good area to tap power from most likely. The box would still do better behind the radio since you have to make the antenna connection.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:24 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 163 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by jason952
Thx, then that would also be a good area to tap power from most likely. The box would still do better behind the radio since you have to make the antenna connection.
It is where I pick up power for my ipod adapter...Cheap mod in 2009 but efficient....

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...installed.html
Old 11-11-2015, 12:27 AM
akatsuki...
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you like it? I am interested in getting something like that.
Old 11-11-2015, 07:29 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Works great. Sound quality is very good, just make sure the phone volume is all the way up to cut out any possible hiss as the volume increases. 🎧
Old 10-12-2016, 11:33 AM
ewc
Racer

Received 106 Likes on 65 Posts

Great post and photos. Can you explain how you were able to fish the phone button wire down below the CD holder? I took my radio apart last weekend to install the iTranzit, but everything was so tight that I couldn't find any space to fish the wire. Did you need to remove the CD holder or other parts? Thanks!
Old 10-16-2016, 12:14 AM
ewc
Racer

I managed to get my Tranzit BLU HF installed today using these instructions. Some additional photos which may help others for future reference.

I was able to fit the iTranzit box in the crevice behind the radio. It's a tight fit, but it works. The photo above shows the driver's side carpeted panel removed. You simply pull the carpeted panel to remove -- it is secured by 2 pop clips, no screws. I routed the phone button wire behind the radio and down the driver's side panel area. I wedged the mic between the upper and lower panels, like the OP.

Removing the carpeted panel made all the difference in my install. Much easier to route the wires. I took my time, and soldered and electrical taped my connections. The sound quality is great! I'm very impressed with this simple little $75 box. It instantly transforms the car from a 90's anachronism (cd player and holder) to a modern(ish) connected vehicle.

Also, iSimple has amazing customer service. I frayed my phone button wire trying to force the radio back in during my first installation attempt. I emailed iSimple and they immediately sent me a new button by UPS, for free. Great service!
Old 10-16-2016, 08:41 AM
jason952
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry I missed the first query, the carpeted triangular panels give good access when removed. Glad I could help some, still very happy with mine for much less than the cost of the other solutions.
Old 10-18-2016, 02:41 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If the product literature is to believed, the FM modulation is much improved over what they used to be. How good is the sound quality? How's the interference?
Old 10-18-2016, 02:50 PM
ewc
Racer

Sound quality over BT streaming is very good. Considering how much road noise these cars have, the sound quality is plenty good. I don't have any interference. Note, the Tranzit directly plugs into the FM antenna, so it's nothing like the crappy FM modulators which broadcast to a particular frequency. I had a Monster FM modulator and the sq was terrible.
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 PM
Bobcat Sig
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That's great feedback. How's the vox quality with the mic? Anything to report on how you sound to other callers using the mic?
Old 10-18-2016, 03:30 PM
ewc
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig
That's great feedback. How's the vox quality with the mic? Anything to report on how you sound to other callers using the mic?
Vox quality is a bit tinny and far away sounding with the mic mounted as shown in the photos. During a few test calls, there was also some odd feedback, but I haven't had time to experiment or troubleshoot. The instructions say to mount the mic up high by the visor, but I was too lazy to route it. Not sure if that would make it better.

I try not to make calls in the car, so it's not a big deal for me.

Quick Reply: Tranzit install