Sponsored by:

Seriously thinking about this car

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:19 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
The real question is would any of you here pay 60k for that car?

I sure wouldn't when cars that may have 10k -15k more miles are going for $10-$15 less. The fact that it's at a dealer already means paying a premium.

There are plenty of deals out there on these cars and esp with winter upon us you will have ample time to search with in sure more available cars to look at.

I like the idea of these cars going up in value, but I didn't buy mine to flip it, I bought it to enjoy. If the market hit rock bottom I wouldn't even care as my exp with this car has been phenomenal.
Agreed. I wouldn't pay anything near that, but I'm also the type that doesn't purchase anything other than a steal. I think 50k for that would be a steal but I doubt it would go that low.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:43 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blswan
I bought mine six months ago. I looked for 3-4 months before finding anything decent. Most of the cars in the low - mid 40s had higher mileage and showed it. You can still get a nice car in the low - mid 40s if you are patient. I bought mine in that range but immediately put 6k into to bring preventative maintenance up to date, new tires, rims (ok those were not 'needed').

Anything in the 30s is garbage. I don't care what you say, I saw a lot personally. Most in the low 40s are garbage as well. This particular car is high at 60k but probably won't be purchased for less than 53-55k.
+1
Old 10-09-2015, 01:03 PM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 171 Posts

I bought mine six months ago. I looked for 3-4 months before finding anything decent. Most of the cars in the low - mid 40s had higher mileage and showed it. You can still get a nice car in the low - mid 40s if you are patient. I bought mine in that range but immediately put 6k into to bring preventative maintenance up to date, new tires, rims (ok those were not 'needed').

Anything in the 30s is garbage. I don't care what you say, I saw a lot personally. Most in the low 40s are garbage as well. This particular car is high at 60k but probably won't be purchased for less than 53-55k.
So, 6 months ago was in the height of spring fever car buying. So, you were in the market at its high point. And bought at the high point.

I bought my 2002 X50 with 47k miles 3 weeks ago for $35,500. The market for 996TT, non-salvage title, is $30,000 to $50,000.

There was a car with 79k miles for sale by the CEO of MillerCoors in Milwaukee at the end of August asking price of $29,500. It was not junk. But, that was the low end of the market.

Conversely, to get $50k out of a 996TT, it has to be something special. The 13k mile car, with a new floormat of course, is one such car. Most 996TTs are SELLIING now in the $35k to $41k price range.

Selling and asking are two different concepts. The buyers determine the market, not the sellers. Right now, it is a buyer's market. Prices will go back up as soon as the weather turns warm this spring.
Old 10-09-2015, 01:49 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

Folks, right now in this market "many" Rennlisters are removing a lot of cash out there wallets to purchase well maintained cars.. And maybe we are stupid or want to inflate the prices to spend more money. However, the range of CASH paid, is between $44K to $52K...

Yes, you hear about the one that was sold by the person that wanted a few bucks more than dealer trade in.. Typically these sales happen real quick with just a quick visual inspection.

The established Rennlister knows about the slave and accumulator, or rear hydraulics, radiator and coolant fittings and most likely needs tires. Finding the car that has been maintained and with lower miles is commanding some good monies.

I have seen a lot of the less than $40K cars with detailed PPI's and I would walk on 75% of them.. I have to mention that many Rennlister on this sight, have already owned the 996TT AND own multiple Porsches.. They are looking for the concourse car, or garage queen. And are willing to pay more monies for the lower mileage car AND this is what this thread is... Make no mistake, the driver vs queen are two different cars...
Old 10-09-2015, 01:53 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

No point in debating what can simply be proven. Run a car search on Car Gurus, nationwide, 2001-2004 6 speed 911s. The cheapest is $39k for a 45k mile car. Sounds decent, but I know that car had body work because I looked at it and its getting passed around dealers. The rest are mid 40s-60. Ok lets check autotrader... anything under 50k miles is still mid 40s and way way up from there.

You got a steal kcattorney. Good for you. I tell you what, I will give you 40k even for your car. Since they are so easy to find, sell it to me, make 5k and go buy another. Hell, send me (5) more like that. I will buy each one, tomorrow, cash. I'm not joking either. I could sell them all day long down here for 45-50k quick.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:30 PM
Shadetree930
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

No point in debating what can simply be proven. Run a car search on Car Gurus, nationwide, 2001-2004 6 speed 911s. The cheapest is $39k for a 45k mile car. Sounds decent, but I know that car had body work because I looked at it and its getting passed around dealers. The rest are mid 40s-60. Ok lets check autotrader... anything under 50k miles is still mid 40s and way way up from there.

You got a steal kcattorney. Good for you. I tell you what, I will give you 40k even for your car. Since they are so easy to find, sell it to me, make 5k and go buy another. Hell, send me (5) more like that. I will buy each one, tomorrow, cash. I'm not joking either. I could sell them all day long down here for 45-50k quick.
Agree.

A smokin' deal does not establish the market baseline. It is called an outlier.

The majority of the good cars are going for $50k+

An interesting post from the 996 forum. Nice to see some new blood in here. Should make things lively!

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I'm starting to mix things up in the turbo forum. I'm trying hard not to sound like a troll. But, jeez, hard not to if you aren't drinking the koolaid. No, boys, sorry but not every 996tt is worth $55k.
I agree with the quote. Not every 996tt is worth $55k. But they aren't all going to be excellent specimens at $35.5k either.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadetree930
The majority of the good cars are going for $50k+
Yes. And with the low number of good 996 Turbos out there, their prices are only going to go up.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

An interesting post from the 996 forum.
Good find.

And noted...

But they aren't all going to be excellent specimens at $35.5k either.
And there you have it.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

$60K is correct pricing for that car, IMO. Highly desirable color, and the market disproportionately rewards low mileage.

I bought mine 50 weeks ago and got it in the 30s because it had an atrocious color combination and nobody in the rust belt would consider a Speed Yellow car. Plus it was at a Chevy dealership(!) 2000 miles from me. Everything local I looked at that I wanted was $40-45K and had 40-66K miles.

Too many articles naming the 996TT as the 'performance bargain Porsche' have had their effect.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:44 PM
BOSSHEMI
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I picked up a very clean 2003 996TT this June with with just about every option in the mid 40k market with alittle over 21,000 miles on it. Car came with the factory hollow wheels and Techart Daytona wheels.

There are out there for the right price, you just need to look

IMO this car is over price.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:53 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only people that speak up are the people that got a good deal or better yet think they got a good deal. What is another 5-10k when buying a car= nothing unless you are on a budget or just have to say you got the better end.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:57 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BOSSHEMI
I picked up a very clean 2003 996TT this June with with just about every option in the mid 40k market...
Describe "very clean".

What is the car's factory options list?

How much did you actually pay for the car?
Old 10-09-2015, 04:00 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts

If I ever sell my 04 TT cab I'm listing it here for $90k just to watch people lose their sh** and tell me it's really only worth $28k because their cousin's buddy's dad just bought one for that price.

Anomalies don't set the market, even though a lot of people seem to think they do. And big surprise - the dealer is asking a bit more than a private party would - shocking. But that car is mid to high $50s all day long to the buyer who values what it offers.

I concur that the floor mat probably got swapped in for some reason - lazy effort by the dealer, but probably nothing more than that.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
...and tell me it's really only worth $28k because their cousin's buddy's dad just bought one for that price....
...on ebay.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:07 PM
BOSSHEMI
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

one owner car garage kept, paint and interior in excellent cond 46k

Quick Reply: Seriously thinking about this car