Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on Tuning upgrade from stock

Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by a914guy
Seat of the pants feel can easily be improved with a simple, inexpensive throttle aid. Our Turbo "Drive By Wire" electronic accelerator pedals will wake up with a signal booster.

Sprint Booster modifies the signal between the accelerator pedal module and the electronic throttle body. This modified signal forces the throttle body to open 'more' than the stock signal at a given pedal position. In effect, the idle-to-full-throttle pedal travel is reduced. A given pedal input produces greater throttle opening. This is especially evident in the low to mid rpm range where most cars spend their time on the street.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEHyTtFzAKw

At about $300 delivered to your door and with a 30 day no questions money back guarantee and a 3 year warranty, it's worth a look.

Do a search on Sprint Booster and you can find discussions all over the place from various car brands. The general consensus is it's well worth the $$$.

I put one in last night on an X50 car and spent about a hour testing the two settings. The most aggressive (red) setting was the better of the two.

Installation is a bugger as the connection is under the dash and not easily visible. Nothing has to be removed and the help of a small cordless light and a mirror on a stick will make the connection easier.

This picture is from a Pelican technical guide and shows the booster loose and installed.
your post on this ( as kevin calls it "gizmo" is comforting to read as i hope to put it in tonight! and am encouraged by your terrific review and assessment. i hope my experience with it mirrors yours, and i got it half price. even better

to the OP. if you do ONLY two things? tune and exhaust. but it will not nor does it ever "stop" there. you have been warned lol. GL with them. i would check out kevins stuff here, even if he disdains perfectly decent and "do what they should", gizmo's ..LOL

( oh snap ha.. i didn't realize you were SELLING the gizmos! ) umm, that would tend to influence your review? maybe a bit possibly!? lol. doesn't matter, still hoping to put that lil sucker on later
Old 10-15-2015, 01:38 PM
asmperformance
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some info on a 02 996TT I did last week. There are many different opinions on the issue of today's fuel quality. I also have an opinion but unlike most, it isn't a result of which lobby is doing a better job but rather a result of tuning all types of cars on a daily basis. I refer to these results as a safe 93 octane E10 calibration for street use. When this car goes to the track for a DE it needs to run on 100 E10 to be safe. When I compare calibrations, injector flow requirements, and power output from cals that I did before the increased ethanol content, these values have changed significantly.
There are a lot of of the shelf or mail order tunes available. If there is an option in your area to get a custom cal on a load bearing dyno this would be the preferred way to go.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Sent you a PM
Old 12-05-2015, 04:30 PM
tsitz
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thanks!

Hi
Many thanks.
I now have:
'03 996tt with
-new PSS10 coilovers
-997 short shift kit

Next up is
-exhaust upgrade (thoughts best brands and types?)
- ecu flash tune (thoughts best brands and types?)

Car runs flawlessly. I have 81 miles on it, and I don't see that as a liability. I love driving the car and I can't imagine owning one and keeping the miles so low (how do people do it?).
Clutch has been replaced, am I right to assume that these cars can keep on driving for a long time?
Old 12-08-2015, 07:40 AM
BauerR
Pro

Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tsitz
Hi
Many thanks.
I now have:
'03 996tt with
-new PSS10 coilovers
-997 short shift kit

Next up is
-exhaust upgrade (thoughts best brands and types?)
- ecu flash tune (thoughts best brands and types?)

Car runs flawlessly. I have 81 miles on it, and I don't see that as a liability. I love driving the car and I can't imagine owning one and keeping the miles so low (how do people do it?).
Clutch has been replaced, am I right to assume that these cars can keep on driving for a long time?
Hey bud, did you get my PM?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:55 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by a914guy
I put one in last night on an X50 car and spent about a hour testing the two settings. The most aggressive (red) setting was the better of the two.

Installation is a bugger as the connection is under the dash and not easily visible. Nothing has to be removed and the help of a small cordless light and a mirror on a stick will make the connection easier.
just an ( impartial i swear, update! )

i recently spent a couple of days ( few weeks back ) a/b'ing btw green/red and "off" on the sprint booster gizmo to really make certain what was "working"and what wasn't. there is NO question in my mind ( or the cars ecu/mind lol ) that "red" mode offers a significant and immediate increase in throttle input resulting in more "snap" to the throttle and the result is the car does what it does more quickly.

notice i didn't say it MAKES the CAR QUICKER! it doesn't. but it definitely provides quicker input, and we all can imagine what that would mean in real world results, but you do have to "feel" it to believe it.

one last and even more salient point that was initially disconcerting. i spent so much time at WOT messing with the damn gizmo that i actually deflated/collapsed!? a breather hose which ended up limiting my boost levels which with my setup are 1.3 and the collapsed hose cost me roughly a whole lot of psi. as i was only able to hit .7 and maybe .8, until i ( nearly immediately ) located the source of the collapsed hose ( it was visible looking into the TB/Plenum area of the engine bay ), and after buying the wrong hose, and returning it. ( i found if you buy two porsche's from a particular dealership they will waive any re-stocking fees on hoses LOL ), but since the minor repair and troubleshooting, all has reverted back to normal 1.3 of boost with NO issues.

so in review, i think the sprint booster is a terrific little gizmo. i paid $140, is it worth 300?! i dunno, lol. i'm cheap, but 140? for sure it was, to me. hah!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:56 AM
Duc Hunter
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

It seems everyone has forgotten Markski? Has his stuff been surpassed, or his quality/customer service gone down? Just asking as I am surprised no one has mentioned him here. He use to always come up as one of the best tuners for these cars. No disrespect to any tuners already mentioned....just was curious.
Old 12-16-2015, 08:23 PM
HBdirtbag
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm in the same situation as you. Stock 2001 with pss10's. Plan on ordering 997 shifter soon.

Im going to do tune before exhaust and with that said gave Kevin at UMW my credit card info on Monday
Old 12-17-2015, 05:59 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I used Softronics, no CEL or issues. Car is a beast now.
Old 12-17-2015, 05:47 PM
bsh
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by asmperformance
Here's some info on a 02 996TT I did last week. There are many different opinions on the issue of today's fuel quality. I also have an opinion but unlike most, it isn't a result of which lobby is doing a better job but rather a result of tuning all types of cars on a daily basis. I refer to these results as a safe 93 octane E10 calibration for street use. When this car goes to the track for a DE it needs to run on 100 E10 to be safe. When I compare calibrations, injector flow requirements, and power output from cals that I did before the increased ethanol content, these values have changed significantly.
There are a lot of of the shelf or mail order tunes available. If there is an option in your area to get a custom cal on a load bearing dyno this would be the preferred way to go.

Hi,
Can you overlay graphs from a 100% stock 996TT 420 hp VS your tune on the same car. Both cars with everything stock except the tune. 93 octane.
Can you tune without having my ecu shipped to you?
Thanks
Ben Stian
Old 12-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Danyol
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A simple flash and wastegate spring upgrade is all you really need. It is cheap, will "wake up" the car and get your attention again. If you want it to growl as well (+ a few more horses ) add the exhaust. The next stage is a hybrid turbo ect ect, but now you are looking at many $$$

I do have an X50 but in many ways (low end available torque, quick spool up) I would keep your existing turbos until you're ready for a much bigger leap. Over 5 years on Kevin's tune, best investment I made. Still on original clutch, very reliable horsepower.

+1 for Kevin @umw, call him, he'll give you impartial advice to the point where you get yourself to where you are happy, with what you spend vs. return
Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

To the OP, my advice is for you to contact/talk to the tuners...you can quickly find who they are...Explain what you want short term and long term...Go with the one you feel most comfortable with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice on Tuning upgrade from stock