Sponsored by:

Ralcorz? Short Shifter tune up

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 AM
BillZ260
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ralcorz? Short Shifter tune up

This weekend I installed my Function First "Shift Right" solution, which is essentially a bearing kit for the shifter assembly that eliminates all slop in the shifting mechanism itself, providing tight, clean shifts, it's really nice. I started with the Shift Right solution with a standard shift lever, that came with a early bird special Luka offered. Mainly I grabbed it so I could compare the feel of the stocker vs my SS kit. While the stock shifter was absolutely smooth and accurate, the throws felt like they took forever.

So after a 20-30 miles with the stock shifter, I decided I wanted to keep the SS kit and swapped out the main shafts and notice that the SS shaft had quite a bit of play once it was all put together. The problem was two plastic spacer washers that sat on either side of the main shaft, they had either wore down or were too thin to start with and allowed the main shaft to move side to side quite a bit, I think combined with the stock shift mechanism internals it was much worse, but the whole reason I bought the FF Shift Right solution was to get rid of the play, so, I dug in.

My Shifter is non-branded but looks exactly like this one.
http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/-p-1...jRThoCbdPw_wcB

The main shaft of this Ralcorz kit comes apart pretty easliy, you simply break loose the two 15mm bolts on eithr side of the main shaft, and that allows you to unscrew the pivot, pull the shaft and the washers. I measured them, I believe they were like .160 thick each and after measuring everything, I needed close to .030 to close the gap and keep everything tight.

So i took the washers and my dial calipers to ACE and started rummaging. I grabbed some brass, Nylon and Mylar washer of varying thicknesses and took them home, spent liek 6 bucks, and ended up with a bunch of extras, so in reality the fix cost be about $1.50.

Started trying different combinations and ended up with TWO larger diameter nylon washers, I believe they were .165 each, and ONE Mylar washer that was only .015 thick, this combo together was perfect, no slop at all and easy forward / backward motion. Also, on interesting thing about this shifter is that you can rotate the shaft 180 Deg and change the angle of the top part of the lever towards you, rather then angling upright, which is how this one was when I got it, and added to the odd feel of the stock shifter that angles up.

So if you have one of these cheaper Ralcorz Short Shifters, you can easily tighten it up a bit, and along with the Function First Shift Right Solution, you have an absolutely superb shifter, it is a thing of wonder!

Stock Washer on the left, Brass/Mylar to the right, decided on Nylon (the two big ones next to the pliars) + 1 Mylar

.015 Mylar washer was the perfect amout to fill the gap.

Finished assemly w/ 3 new washers and the FF Shift Right Parts

Last edited by BillZ260; 10-05-2015 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Ralcorz? Short Shifter tune up