Sponsored by:

Still looking for nice 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 10:33 PM
gjpearce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still looking for nice 996TT

I come across some oddities and was wondering if anyone can advise? Medina collection has contacted me via 6speedonline about a 2002 silver/grey w/30K miles- at first I thought it was a lost deal as there was an ebay link and the bidding had closed at 46.9 on 10/1, but dealer said buyer backed out. On further research car had also closed on 9/20 for 42.6! Why is this car for sale still? Make me leery that buyers back out after finding something wrong with car!
Also I found a 1 of a kind Strosek Mega Turbo yellow/blue- listed as RWD- on Autotrader- is this a scam or were some cars converted to just AWD?
Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ebay is garbage. It's the wild west.

NOTHING is binding on ebay. Terminology is supposed to scare you into honoring sales from both sides but in the end ebay does nothing. AND HAS NO LEGAL POWER TO ENFORCE ANYTHING.

So those sales/bids are meaningless. Ebay is actually a car marketing site not a car sales site. Most deals are done out of ebay but ebay brings the seller/buyer together. And the ebay guarantee?.....does not apply in vehicles over ten years old.

I purchased a 993 cab a long time ago on ebay... well I didn't really purchase it b/c the seller refused to sell. It wasn't bid high enough. ebay could do and did nothing. Seller walked.

I have no problem bidding like crazy on ebay....and I do....b/c I know nothing binds me to a sale.....that's how I purchased my turbo S.....those sleazeball sellers won't sell?....two can play at that game.

As far as the "Strosek Mega Turbo"? I like minor tasteful mods. I even admire the courage of some people with their over the top body mods even if they are not my cup of tea. But if that Strosek is the one with those tiny lights up front?.... dude, there are no words to describe that mess IMHO.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:22 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

excuse, me. but what is a "strosek" if not a an aftermarket wing blade on the back of my car!?

ebay is ebay. i saw a car that fit my needs quite nicely. called the seller, and found it was an acquaintance that had one of the baddest mid level track readied tt i had ever seen.

i met with him since we were local to one another, dove the car for a few minutes. and in an hour of mostly discussion, we made the deal. no haggling ( my fault, its beneath me lol ) and he gave me a handshake 90 day bumper to bumper unofficial warranty, which i never needed to test. that was 60k miles ago.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry x50 just a strosek wing is great but typing strosek mega turbo mostly brings up stuff like this:

Thankfully he may not have been referring to that.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:47 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

^ i have always wondered what other parts they made, and if the simply copied techart. not so sure what that began life as lol

here's a "strosek" 996 turbo http://www.strosek.de/strosek_2006.php
Old 10-04-2015, 03:25 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,595 Likes on 1,643 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
Ebay is garbage.
Really? I bought a drop dead gorgeous low milage 1985 Carrera a few years back for mid-teens. The transaction was seamless and that car is now worth $30k or more. I bought my TT off eBay, again great car and seamless transaction and the car is now worth more than I paid for it.

EBay is just like any other classified ad, non-credentialed car auction or used car dealer. The deal isn't done until a deposit or payment is accepted on an agreed price. Once you have that in mind it all works.

Note to the OP. Just because buyers back out doesn't mean there is something wrong with the car. Like any other major purchase the item must inspected first hand. If you or someone you trust cant look at it pass on it.

Last edited by Carlo_Carrera; 10-04-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 08:07 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Really? I bought a drop dead gorgeous low milage 1985 Carrera a few years back for mid-teens. The transaction was seamless and that car is now worth $30k or more. I bought my TT off eBay, again great car and seamless transaction and the car is now worth more than I paid for it.

EBay is just like any other classified ad, non-credentialed car auction or used car dealer. The deal isn't done until a deposit or payment is accepted on an agreed price. Once you have that in mind it all works.

Note to the OP. Just because buyers back out doesn't mean there is something wrong with the car. Like any other major purchase the item must inspected first hand. If you or someone you trust cant look at it pass on it.
Just like any purchase avenue, there's lots of good and bad. As someone who has recently looked for months for a car, it's pretty amazing to me how many really bad cars there are out there. I'm a little scared for the future of the 996tt because they are getting hacked on quite a bit by non-enthusiasts.

I think this is a point in time when there are a lot of buyers who get in to 996tt's and find out it ain't like fixing an Accord and get right back out. Take your time, you'll find something.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:17 PM
Nimrodical
Advanced

Get a PPI from a reputable shop and rest easy.
PS. Some people take out the awd to lose weight and make the car more like a gt2.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:35 PM
Blswan
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts

I called you back about mine. It's local and probably the nicest 996tt I have seen in person. I'm not going to advertise it again for sale until next spring. If you are interested, come and check it out.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:31 AM
FRUNKenstein
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 173 Posts

I've bought all 5 of my Porsches on eBay. I've sold at least a dozen cars on eBay myself.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:56 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 775 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by CincyScott
... it's pretty amazing to me how many really bad cars there are out there.
I'm not amazed at all.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:41 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Originally Posted by kcattorney
I've bought all 5 of my Porsches on eBay. I've sold at least a dozen cars on eBay myself.
agree on ebay. i myself have only bought one placed there for advert? but too slag ebay as a lousy place to find a good car is unfounded at best and even a misguided admonition.

i also picked up a nice cartier there once. thankfully it was real! hah.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:22 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 316 Posts

Do your research on the seller - probably good advice for any transaction.
Old 10-11-2015, 01:35 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any interest in a low mile speed yellow with many nice upgrades?
Old 10-11-2015, 03:19 PM
Etrain
Advanced

Originally Posted by Al Z
Any interest in a low mile speed yellow with many nice upgrades?
More info

Quick Reply: Still looking for nice 996TT