range 2 overrevs question

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 12:03 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks again everyone,

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
No such thing as a cheap porsche, either pay up front or later.
This car ain't cheap at all. The ask is very top dollar, basically 997 territory (now, I'd rather have a 996 than 997 but that's another story). You actually know the car, it's the one I PMd you over the weekend.

Originally Posted by Kevin
Car doesn't have records..
It doesn't, carfax looks good though (apart from "sold at auction").

OverRevs very recent.. How do you know if it didn't hit 8000 RPM's?
I don't! That's why I'm looking for advice!

Are you planning on doing a PPI
Yes, and that's actually another issue. I called the top indy shop in the area, which comes highly recommended for PPI here and on Pelican, and they told me they do a 1hr PPI which they say is very thorough but to me it sounds too quick.

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
negotiate anything on the ppi into the price. (ie type 2s), if getting it from a dealer they have access to multiple aftermarket warranty companies, utilize it!
This sounds like a great idea, I'll definitely explore it.

Originally Posted by rmc1148
and if you cant find time to go look at the car you probably don't have time to enjoy it.
Well I see where you're coming from but I don't think I necessarily agree. If I can't spend three days on the road it doesn't mean I can't drive the car around town a couple hours on the weekends and have it serviced regularly.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:04 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

just fly in and out the same day...I have done this multiple times when buying a car and always was worth it.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:21 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I don't think one not flying out to look at and buy a car somehow makes you unworthy to own a turbo. Often these deals require a decision quickly and some professions/situations don't allow halting everything at the drop of a hat, hopping on a plane to essentially buy a toy. That's where refundable deposits, ppi's, rennfaxs all come into play. I looked at many cars that ultimately failed a ppi and passed on. That's my take on it anyway.
C
Old 09-30-2015, 01:37 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not saying unworthy by any means but as Kevin pointed out its hard to go by pictures or others opinions. I think most people know that its not smart to buy sight unseen but try to kid themselves otherwise.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:52 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I paid top dollar for mine, sight unseen. Perfect carfax, perfect ppi. Owner wouldn't budge on the price so I figured I found a top notch car worthy of it. Well $10,000 later and months of troubleshooting boost issues, I finally have a top notch car. I would have maybe still bought the same car but I could have got it for at least $5000 less had I gone to see and drive it first.

You're getting very sound advice with a common theme from everyone here.

As for the type 2's. Someone who didn't know what they were doing revved that car up too high 5hrs ago. That's all anyone can know for now. My car had a fair amount of type 2's. But they were over 100hrs old, so I was comfortable that nothing serious had manifested from it.

Last edited by jeanmarcboilard; 09-30-2015 at 02:08 AM.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:58 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

There is almost always things that get missed or overlooked with rose colored glasses but seeing in person clears up a lot of questions. I had to repair hazed rearview mirror and replace cracked interior light lens also rear tire were worn uneven. My car had 12.5 k miles.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:36 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

a "Pre Purchase Inspection" is a fancy way to describe having some guy walk around and look at the car. usually with an officious looking checklist.

all kinds of stuff is likely to be overlooked, given that REALITY.

gee, porsche's largest LA area dealership missed the presence of 2nd gear pop out while they PPI'd a car of "mine" pre purchase as part of the requirements of making it a "Certified Pre-Owned" car with the accompanying 2 year factory warranty tacked onto what remains of the original warranty.

so much for a PPI LOL
Old 09-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Lucid Moment
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Best advice given is go look at the car. I had a ppi done, somehow they missed that the spoiler hydraulics were leaking, and that the micro switch had been disconnecting, and that the wing would not go up or down, lol. And this was a very respectable porsche shop. Last time I take a car there lol. I find this and more issues after 5 min after seeing the car. Good luck.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:11 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 478 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
just fly in and out the same day...I have done this multiple times when buying a car and always was worth it.
^^^This ^^^
If you can't do this then it's not the right way to buy a car. Buy local or wait until you have time as there is always another car. If you're looking for a unicorn then be ready to fly and strike. I flew from San Jose to Florida and back in one day to buy my TT. Good Luck
Old 09-30-2015, 12:34 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I'll keep you posted
Old 09-30-2015, 01:30 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I waited for a local car in midnight blue= worth the wait.
Old 09-30-2015, 03:31 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I actually had a fellow renlister perform a rennfax on my 996tt. He sent me several pages of notes including pictures and rating of each and every item on the car. I cannot thank him enough for doing this. If I had flown to east coast and visually looked at the car, I would not have done as good of a job as the rennlister did for me.

I also got a good PPI done at an indy Porsche mechanic which included compression/leakdown test and it came out good. Besides replacing the clutch accumulator and maintenance (DIY), the car did not need anything.

During my research of the car, I had compiled a long list of things to check before purchasing the car... and I sent it over to the mechanic to check in addition to the usual PPI items they have.

Good luck!

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2015, 03:45 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Keep in mind it can pass a ppi, look good to you when you fly in and still let you down on the way home, that exact thing happened to a member here with a 997.2 gt3. You can never be 100% sure with a used car, that you can't kid yourself about. That's where a aftermarket warranty can help on a later model car.
Another thing I've done on older 930s is to fly my mechanic out to look at it, not for everybody ($$$), more so for an expensive (6 figure) air cooled car than a less expensive 996 or 997 for example.
Good luck with your purchase Rick!
C
Old 09-30-2015, 09:23 PM
stilov
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have found that from a seller perspective I'm honest about the condition and it scares people away.

Point of the matter is its a flipping used car and WILL have problems, low mileage, high mileage ppi or no ppi.

Do whatever makes you feel it's worth the risk. I bought my 996 site unseen with no ppi lol! Although I did have an independent look at the car and talked to the shop that normally services it. Bought it with lower mileage and now I've almost doubled it and it's been an awesome car. In fact with the most recent "buyer". We him haw around on price, mods, logs, talk to tuner etc. then agree on price, plan on ppi, wait on ppi because they ll come see it, then take it to shop to get ppi, get antsy the shop can't do it until the next day, leave my car overnight, then financing falls through assures me to get the ppi done, late night email telling me to hold off, then disappear. Then later reappear with a car he purchased the day the "financing" fell through.

What an exercise!!! Probably going to keep it after all.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:13 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Just got a DME report on another car, this one within driving distance which I could check out in person, but then maybe not worth it.

65,535 range 1 and 1,535 range 2. Am I correct in interpreting the range 1 as being so many that the 16 bit counter has run out of digits?

Quick Reply: range 2 overrevs question