Sponsored by:

Minneapolis 996 TT PPI Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 11:58 PM
rseeley
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minneapolis 996 TT PPI Help

New to the forum and Porsche world. Been searching for a 996 TT for a bit and have an 01 turbo deal on the line but just need to do a PPI before I book my flight to go get it. Minneapolis Porsche dealer said $150 for 50 point inspection and $430 for 150 point inspection. I'd lean towards the more intense inspection but does anybody know of any independent Porsche mechanics in Minneapolis they would recommend for a PPI?
Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 AM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I worked with the POM dealer last Feb. and they did a nice job. The car was bought and serviced there so they knew it pretty well. I had the extensive visual inspection done, code scan and a coolant system pressure check. About $400 if I remember right. They brought me into the service area and showed me a few things in and under the car which was pretty helpful. Jon Beyer was the Service contact I worked with.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:21 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't waste your money on a Dealer PPI. They will plug it in to their computer, give it a once over and try to pull service records, which unless the car was serviced at that dealer, they most likely won't have. Dealer techs miss **** all the time because they simply don't care. Highly recommend having an independent Porsche mechanic do it. Hopefully someone in Minny can lead you in the right direction. You should be able to get a VERY through PPI for about $150-$200. $450 is retarded.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:24 AM
rseeley
8th Gear

Appreciate the quick responses. Would really like to get an independent mechanic referral if anyone knows of one. The buyer referred me to his mechanic but that doesn't pass my "independent" qualifications!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:36 AM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Just like this forum, it's all about the people. I've known quality mechanics on both sides of the Porsche business for 30 plus years. Dealer and Independant shops in most major cities are $120+ an hour. A good thorough inspection takes about 2 hours. Add bore scope work, compression testing, paint metering and you're into 3-4 hours. Hopefully your Turbo won't present indications to do those things but in some cases it's reality to make sure you're getting the information you want.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:41 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A ppi is only as good as the technician performing it. I'm a little biased due to an awful ppi I had performed by Porsche of Halifax who missed a slipping clutch and 2 stuck wastegates creating uncontrollable boost. I purchased the car sight unseen based on their recommendation. Within 10 minutes of driving away in the car I discovered these issues. Of course the PO had no idea there was anything wrong.
I would specify that you want the tech to take the car for a full test drive. From cold start to full boost pulls. That'll tell him how it's running.
Also, the cars current mechanic will know the car more intimately than anyone else. Might not be a bad idea to have a talk with him/her. The tech likely has no stake in the sale so would have no reason to be dishonest.
Old 09-22-2015, 12:48 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Better yet, have the Indy and the dealer do a ppi, that should yield interesting results.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:30 AM
vogz
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanmarcboilard
A ppi is only as good as the technician performing it. I'm a little biased due to an awful ppi I had performed by Porsche of Halifax who missed a slipping clutch and 2 stuck wastegates creating uncontrollable boost. I purchased the car sight unseen based on their recommendation. Within 10 minutes of driving away in the car I discovered these issues. Of course the PO had no idea there was anything wrong.
I would specify that you want the tech to take the car for a full test drive. From cold start to full boost pulls. That'll tell him how it's running.
Also, the cars current mechanic will know the car more intimately than anyone else. Might not be a bad idea to have a talk with him/her. The tech likely has no stake in the sale so would have no reason to be dishonest.
Wow, I hope you at least got a refund for an utterly useless PPI. I don't trust dealer service departments and never have after some bad experiences.
Old 09-22-2015, 01:35 AM
rseeley
8th Gear

A dealer or independent mechanic can be bad or great so I was hoping for some sort of endorsement or referral to a Minneapolis area mechanic that people have had positive interactions with
Old 09-23-2015, 07:09 PM
C5Driver951
Racer

I had a PPI done by Auto Edge, 900 Wildwood Road, Mahtomedi, MN. 55115
651-777-6924.

They did a thorough PPI and they race Porsches...
Old 09-23-2015, 07:42 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I had a really bad experience with an Indy ppi, missed tons of stuff despite charging top dollar and taking two days, things I noticed within 5 minutes. Oh, yes I got a refund later!
Old 09-24-2015, 12:22 AM
horsepowerfarm
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try Leighton Reese, at Leighton's Garage. He has run hard core road racing efforts in Trans Am and IMSA. I think that would be a good place to start.

Quick Reply: Minneapolis 996 TT PPI Help