Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new to me 996TT. Modding slowly but surely.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:40 PM
Warehouse33.net
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great, are those wheels 18" or 19". I have been eyeballing the Forgestar cf5's.

-Jason
Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Warehouse33.net
Looks great, are those wheels 18" or 19". I have been eyeballing the Forgestar cf5's.

-Jason
Thanks they are 18's.. 18x8.5 front w/ 235/40/18 and 18x12 rear w/ 315/30/18. The cf5's look awesome as well.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:27 PM
Nzo
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

How are you liking it compared to the 7gt3?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nzo
How are you liking it compared to the 7gt3?
They are very different cars and I love them both. The turbo is a much better street car though with a much easier clutch, softer ride, awesome mid range torque, etc. I am basically using it as my DD until the NY winter rolls in.

On the other hand, I will always love a good NA engine. You cant beat the feel, sound and response of the gt3. It really is so close to a race car. I would have loved to keep it, but it no longer became practical for me.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:00 AM
Roy996tt
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
Updated pics lowered with H&R sport springs.. I realize the turbo decals are not for everyone, but for now I like them. Lowering the car really helped improve the overall look of the car in my opinion.
I'm considering doing the H&R springs or possibly coilovers.

Your car looks great.

Now that you have had the springs for a while, what are your thoughts?
Is the handling improved?
Did you leave the stock shocks in place?
Do the springs and shocks work well together? Or does it seem mismatched?
Any regrets?

The reason I ask, is that I have an F30 BMW. I felt the stock suspension was too soft from the factory. I waited for Dinan to introduce their Sport Springs. They said that they were designed to work with the factory dampers.
After the reasonable cost of the springs and a ton of work to install them, I ultimately felt that the combination was mismatched and "incomplete" and went with coilovers.

I'm looking to avoid a similar experience with my Porsche.

The experience of someone like you (and others) with some miles on the setup would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Roy
Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Roy996tt
I'm considering doing the H&R springs or possibly coilovers. Your car looks great. Now that you have had the springs for a while, what are your thoughts? Is the handling improved? Did you leave the stock shocks in place? Do the springs and shocks work well together? Or does it seem mismatched? Any regrets? The reason I ask, is that I have an F30 BMW. I felt the stock suspension was too soft from the factory. I waited for Dinan to introduce their Sport Springs. They said that they were designed to work with the factory dampers. After the reasonable cost of the springs and a ton of work to install them, I ultimately felt that the combination was mismatched and "incomplete" and went with coilovers. I'm looking to avoid a similar experience with my Porsche. The experience of someone like you (and others) with some miles on the setup would be very helpful. Thanks, Roy
yes, lower center of gravity, lower than GT2.
Yes
Yes
No
No
Old 05-24-2016, 07:46 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

come and join us some time. We meet at exit 63 park and ride on Sunday mornings and do a bit of spirited driving.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:54 AM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Roy996tt
I'm considering doing the H&R springs or possibly coilovers.

Your car looks great.

Now that you have had the springs for a while, what are your thoughts?
Is the handling improved?
Did you leave the stock shocks in place?
Do the springs and shocks work well together? Or does it seem mismatched?
Any regrets?

The reason I ask, is that I have an F30 BMW. I felt the stock suspension was too soft from the factory. I waited for Dinan to introduce their Sport Springs. They said that they were designed to work with the factory dampers.
After the reasonable cost of the springs and a ton of work to install them, I ultimately felt that the combination was mismatched and "incomplete" and went with coilovers.

I'm looking to avoid a similar experience with my Porsche.

The experience of someone like you (and others) with some miles on the setup would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Roy
Thanks Roy,

I debated going the coilover route, but I have been very happy with the h&r springs. The previous owner of my car put in bilstein oem replacement shocks not too many miles ago. I didn't want to go too stiff and don't plan on tracking this car, so the springs were a good fit for me. Ride quality and handling feels very nice. Marginally firmer but still has a very composed ride and seem to mate well with the shocks.
Old 05-24-2016, 11:09 AM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
come and join us some time. We meet at exit 63 park and ride on Sunday mornings and do a bit of spirited driving.
The last Sunday morning drive I took with her to Captree unfortunately ended with a coolant line failure on the Robert Moses Causeway. Managed to coast into the lot before the temps started to climb, but ultimately needed to get towed out of there.

I just got the car back last week from basically a full engine out service. Pinned and replaced every coolant line, new plugs, new RMS, hoses, etc..

Fingers crossed that the car will be trouble free going forward! Let me know the next time you guys are meeting and I will try to join.

-Manny
Attached Images    
Old 05-24-2016, 11:58 AM
DSCOFF
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Very nice car! Do you also have a Blue F10 M5?
Old 05-24-2016, 12:04 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DSCOFF
Very nice car! Do you also have a Blue F10 M5?
Thanks! No I do not
Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 AM
MotoJB
Three Wheelin'

Received 592 Likes on 332 Posts

Congrats...car looks great!
Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 AM
grantd
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
The last Sunday morning drive I took with her to Captree unfortunately ended with a coolant line failure on the Robert Moses Causeway. Managed to coast into the lot before the temps started to climb, but ultimately needed to get towed out of there.

I just got the car back last week from basically a full engine out service. Pinned and replaced every coolant line, new plugs, new RMS, hoses, etc..

Fingers crossed that the car will be trouble free going forward! Let me know the next time you guys are meeting and I will try to join.

-Manny
Just looking to have this job done myself. What was the cost of the job?
Old 05-25-2016, 07:10 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Keep in touch, I stay far away from captree. Too many losers tend to gather there, Who did you use. Lynmor, PM me. I will give you my cell #
Old 05-25-2016, 08:11 AM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grantd
Just looking to have this job done myself. What was the cost of the job?
Originally Posted by Stephencs601
Keep in touch, I stay far away from captree. Too many losers tend to gather there, Who did you use. Lynmor, PM me. I will give you my cell #
Yes I use Lynmor.. Will send you both PM's

Quick Reply: My new to me 996TT. Modding slowly but surely.