Sponsored by:

Seat comparisson...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 08:09 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,939 Likes on 1,128 Posts
Default Seat comparisson...

I figured I'd post this for those looking at some good performance bucket seat options. I had OEM Recaro GT3 Euro seats in my car which are absolutely fantastic seats but decided to go for a more aggressive track seat set up. I spent a lot of hours behind the wheel of spec boxsters with Recaro Pro Racer Hans seats and really like their support. After looking at all options, I decided to go with the Kevlar Recaro Profi Spa seats for my car which still sees a tiny amount of street use and as such I did not want a Hans seat due to the requirement for a quick release steering wheel. After installing the Spas in my car last week and spending 3 track days in them I have to say that I absolutely love them. They are incredibly supportive and very very comfortable (once you're in them). The OEM GT3 Euro seats in comparison now feel like sofas. I say that jokingly as I think that the GT3 Euro seats are still the most comfortable seats I have ever owned and are supremely useable on the street while providing near race seat support. The Recaro Profi Spas are about 1.4" narrower than the OEM GT3 seats and have much more pronounced side bolsters in the forward part of the seat which gives you much better bracing in high G turns. The seat pad is very thin which really connects your butt dyno with the car. The Spas are also incredibly light at 10.9lbs per seat vs. 17.5lbs for the GT3 buckets. With side mounts and rails the Spas weigh 22.6lbs vs. 28.6lbs for the GT3 seats. I also have a set of OEM Carbon CGT seats on hand and they weigh 13.2lbs per seat and 24.3lbs complete with rails and mounts.

Fitment wise, the Profi Spas are the tightest and most supportive. They are a great fit for anyone up to a 33" waist (there are excellent seats if you wanna keep fat chicks from riding in your car). The OEM GT3 seats will provide a much roomier fit in the hip area while still providing a very supportive fit in the shoulders comparable to the Spas. The OEM CGT seats are again wider than the GT3 seats in the hip area but slightly narrower in the shoulder area (these fit guys with a lower center of gravity and big wallets perfectly).

In case anyone is interested, the OEM Carbon CGT seats (same seats were offered as option in the Euro 997GT3RS) are up for sale and I will be posting them up shortly this week. They are extremely rare and in mint condition without any blemishes in the leather, alcantara, or the Kevlar shell. Porsche crest is in the headrest. Suncoast sells these seats for $17,900 and can be seen here:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997GT3SEATS.html

I am asking $10K for the seats plus shipping. Seats are complete with OEM sliders and side mounts but the harness attachment pegs will need to be purchased separately.

Recaro Profi Spa (left), OEM GT3 (center), OEM CGT (right)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wzfXpW]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xeE6Ub]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/xvw17U]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/wzsKUX]
Old 08-19-2015, 01:09 AM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Good info. Been trying to decide between Profi XL and GT3 for my car. I want GT3 but hard to find. I think I have a set but if it doesn't work out might just pull trigger on Profi XL.

Do you have RUF steering wheel? Is it smaller than stock diameter?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:18 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smoltz
Good info. Been trying to decide between Profi XL and GT3 for my car. I want GT3 but hard to find. I think I have a set but if it doesn't work out might just pull trigger on Profi XL.

Do you have RUF steering wheel? Is it smaller than stock diameter?
Yes. It is smaller than stock.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

In heat the GT3 seats are cool whereas from my experience the cloth seats transmit heat to your back.
Great writeup Powder, Thanks
Old 08-19-2015, 05:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
In heat the GT3 seats are cool whereas from my experience the cloth seats transmit heat to your back.
Great writeup Powder, Thanks
That's interesting. My experience was actually the exact opposite. I ran the Spas this past weekend in 102F temps (120F track temps) and the seats felt like they were "breathing" much better than the leather ones. The Spas felt cooler..
Old 08-19-2015, 05:27 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer cloth over leather and find it more comfortable. Of course my Recaros have been OEM but have had leather.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Great comparison powdrhound. I actually just sat in the Profi non kevlar version for the first time at P2O a couple weeks ago. Im pretty tall but skinny and feel that they worked well for me. The harness holes can be a problem for me on some seats such as the pole positions. really would like to get a set of these but do you think the extra $1400 per seat is worth it over the "regular" FGRP? Are they pretty difficult to get in and out of due to the fairly high thigh bolstering?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:11 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Great comparison powdrhound. I actually just sat in the Profi non kevlar version for the first time at P2O a couple weeks ago. Im pretty tall but skinny and feel that they worked well for me. The harness holes can be a problem for me on some seats such as the pole positions. really would like to get a set of these but do you think the extra $1400 per seat is worth it over the "regular" FGRP? Are they pretty difficult to get in and out of due to the fairly high thigh bolstering?
The non Kevlar Profi seats are a slightly different shell than the Profi Spas. You can not go by what is published by Recaro on their website. Most of the measurement data is wrong. With that said, the extra money for the Spas was worth it to me not only due to the weight savings but also due to the more aggressive side bolsters that really lock you in. Gotta say that the Carbon Kevlar shell looks pretty trick too. As far as getting into the Spas, in reality it is not bad at all. I use the same technique as with any deep bucket seat. I grab the steering wheel with my right hand and slide my right leg between the seat and steering wheel bracing it against the floor. At the same time I brace by left hand on the door sill and lower myself over the side bolster and into the seat without sliding against it. This is relatively easy and keeps the side bolsters looking like new. It's not quite as easy as with a seat that has the side bolsters lower in the front but well worth for the extra seat support. Hope that helps.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:15 AM
Mtrboatvr6
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks, that does help. I was going to say, it looked like the bolstering was different. I agree the look of them is hands down awesome. Hope those CGT seats sell for you, that would be a nice little bit of coin going back into the car no doubt! Are you selling the GT3 seats, or holding on to those? Im kicking myself for not buying them years ago when I had the chance to buy them from a local guy in a pair for 2k. I think my wife would be a little happier riding in the GT3 seats than the more aggressive Profi's. Do you like the Tequipment bar? That's on the list of things to do with the seats.

Anyways, great info! I love to see stuff like this. Certainly helps.

Last edited by Mtrboatvr6; 08-20-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 263 Posts

Thanks for the comparison PH

Nothing beats a fully dedicated track seat, the GT3 bucket is a nice compromise though.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM
jbossolo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I LOVE my GT3 buckets.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:21 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mtrboatvr6
Thanks, that does help. I was going to say, it looked like the bolstering was different. I agree the look of them is hands down awesome. Hope those CGT seats sell for you, that would be a nice little bit of coin going back into the car no doubt! Are you selling the GT3 seats, or holding on to those? Im kicking myself for not buying them years ago when I had the chance to buy them from a local guy in a pair for 2k. I think my wife would be a little happier riding in the GT3 seats than the more aggressive Profi's. Do you like the Tequipment bar? That's on the list of things to do with the seats.

Anyways, great info! I love to see stuff like this. Certainly helps.
The GT3 seats are sold. The new owner is anxiously waiting to get them installed in his car. The Teq bar is good. It's rally a harness bar more than anything but it's very light at under 30lbs. I agree, the GT3 seats are the best dual purpose seats out there. They have really sky rocketed in price over the last year or so. Be prepared to spend over $4K for a mint set. The CGT seats should sell quickly. I already have 3 guys seriously interested and waiting for detailed pictures which I plan on taking tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:39 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
The non Kevlar Profi seats are a slightly different shell than the Profi Spas.
Agreed, I've got the "regular" Recaro Profi SPG as the passenger seat in my Boxster and the Recaro Profi XL as the driver seat. The front of the SPG slopes down a little more and has less of a side bolster at the front of the seat sompared with the SPA version in this thread. I presume it makes the seat a little easier to get in and out of at the expense of slightly less support there. I wouldn't know since I am too "wide" (36" waist, 240LB) to ride on that side for long intervals. I could jam in for a 20 minute session though.

It is mounted on Recaro side mounts and Recaro sliders with a BK adapter and BK sub bar and BK tunnel side seat belt mount. If I can find a deal on another XL I will probably swap it out. I would trade straight up the seat and all the mounting mentioned here for an XL version with no mounts.

The narrower folks in my family love it

Quick Reply: Seat comparisson...