Sponsored by:

1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:15 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Just signed up for my first track day! I've been wanting to try this for a couple of years now. I met a local fellow driving/Porsche enthusiast who convinced me to head out there with him this weekend.
I'm opting for the driving instructor to show me the ropes. While I feel comfortable in my local canyon, sharing the track with a group of aggressive drivers will be a new experience.
It's going to be fun to see how the turbo handles in a controlled and repeatable environment.
I'm excited.

http://speeddistrict.com/events/open...ust-2223-2015/
Open Track Weekend at Buttonwillow on August 22/23, 2015
Speed District will be hosting an event at Buttonwillow Raceway on Saturday & Sunday, August 22&23 , 2015. We only allow a very limited amount of drivers into our events because we want to maximize your track time and make sure you are properly spaced out throughout the track to ensure safety. Grab a spot before they are all sold out!

If you have you never been to a Speed District track event, it’s never too late to start! We only allow a small group of enthusiasts to participate. Why? Because we want everyone to have more track time. Each run group goes on once a hour, so you will literally be getting two track days in one. Not only will you be surrounded by fellow enthusiasts who share your passion in cars and racing, but you’ll also be able to see (and hear!) numerous high-end cars in action. We have already prepaid to have personalized CDs and timing transponders for every participant (a $85 value) . You will be able to visit the photobooth, pick out your stunning photos and have them burned onto a CD for you to take home with you, all included as part of the Speed District track experience. We have invited Mike Bonanni and Jordan Yost (Professional race car drivers) out to the track with us again for this day. They will be able to jump into the car with you, give you a few pointers and answer any other questions you may have.

We have hired a track marshall, 5 corner workers, ambulance/fire support, professional lap timing, CaliPhotography Photography, Professional Car Drivers and much more. No corners have been cut at all!

The incredible opportunity to receive private driving instruction from our professional drivers (Mike Bonanni/Jordan Yost) is only an additional $55 (completely optional, but highly recommended, especially for first time track drivers.)

This is a self-tech event. It is your responsibility to make sure your car is safe for the race track. You must fill out our Tech Inspection Form and turn it in at registration.

Want to see a aerial view of the track? Check out our new track finder! You can see all the tracks from above!

**Be sure to download this Tech Inspection Form**

Note: There is a snack bar at the track with burgers, chicken and the basics.

Buttonwillow charges $10 per person that enters the property.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

only 2 instructors? will one ride with you for every session of your first weekend?
only 5 flaggers? seems undermanned. timing? sounds like a race.
other than the above it sounds great...I like the photos included.
you will enjoy the 6tt on track. have fun and drink lots of water.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:49 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes have fun and get track insurance.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:56 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

I would say have fun but that is already a given.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

very rarely does a beginner crash. they usually are doing very low speeds as they learn the track and technique, so I would pass on track insurance for now.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:23 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

People can hit you, insurance is a must in my opinion= the Dude is a good guy why chance it= my buddy in a beautiful 1987 928s4 said the same thing sadly.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the tips and well wishes.
I plan to take it easy, but that doesn't mean everyone else will. I'll look into this track insurance and see if it makes sense for me.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc1148
Yes have fun and get track insurance.
If you track your car, you have to be willing to accept the fact that it may be damaged.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
If you track your car, you have to be willing to accept the fact that it may be damaged.
True.
Fortunately, I accept that fact every time I leave the garage regardless of my destination.
I think it would be fair to say, "If you drive your car, you have to be willing to accept the fact that it may be damaged."
I'm not interested in racing my street car. I am interested in fortifying the bond that forms between me and my machine whenever I explore the capabilities that are discovered during a spirited drive.
I found track insurance for $270.
Old 08-18-2015, 10:36 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
True.
Fortunately, I accept that fact every time I leave the garage regardless of my destination.
I think it would be fair to say, "If you drive your car, you have to be willing to accept the fact that it may be damaged."
I'm not interested in racing my street car. I am interested in fortifying the bond that forms between me and my machine whenever I explore the capabilities that are discovered during a spirited drive.
I found track insurance for $270.
get it! I've been driving with you

lol ..just kidding but lemme ask you..

if you leave your house every day ( as i do ) with the idea and hope i might damage my car in the name of fun!.. do i need ecnarusni??
Old 08-18-2015, 10:47 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

True.
Of course one has to be concerned about damage to their 996 Turbo every time they drive it, but in the case of tracking your car it becomes a matter of exposure and margins that are not generally found on public roads. It is higher threat.

There is a reason most insurance companies will not provide coverage for tracking your car under the normally policy coverage.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Here's a "first day at the track" video; an Audi S4. Skip to the 2:40 mark if you want to see how quickly things can go bad (it says it cost £7,000 to fix the car. Hope he had good track insurance).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPVdjhumuwI

I think deciding to track your car is a matter of risk assessment followed by deciding if "fortifying the bond" is worth the potential consequences. I think this is particularly true if you have a nice 996 Turbo.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:08 AM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Thank you for the council, Dock.

Last edited by Th Dude; 08-19-2015 at 12:11 AM. Reason: decided not to muddy my thread
Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thank you for the council, Dock.
You're welcome!

Last edited by Dock; 08-19-2015 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Keeping reply on topic.
Old 08-19-2015, 12:32 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
only 5 flaggers?
Yeah, there it's absolutely, positively undermanned with 5. Only exception I'd say is on a ~10 driver open test day, where everyone is highly experienced.

But on a first day it will all be about learning the line. Speed will be the last thing anyone should be concerning himself with in the beginner group.

Quick Reply: 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow