Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 06:12 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I have done a search and could not find the stats which PCA uses when they say driving on a track is safer than on the road.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:54 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I have done a search and could not find the stats which PCA uses when they say driving on a track is safer than on the road.
Thanks for checking
Old 08-22-2015, 12:44 AM
Pel
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Enjoy! They are a heavy beast, but lots of fun!

Once i did my first track day i realized there was too many variables driving a car outside of the law on the road, danger to children, oncoming cars etc. I've never driven fast on the road since...

The level of safety a track offers is unparalleled, yes, you could crash your car but that's likely it... Would rather stack my Porsche into a wall than a civilian.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:33 PM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have fun Bro! Concentrate on being smooth and fastness will come. Looking forward to hearing about how it went!
Old 08-22-2015, 12:56 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Originally Posted by Pel

Once i did my first track day i realized there was too many variables driving a car outside of the law on the road, danger to children, oncoming cars etc. I've never driven fast on the road since...

The level of safety a track offers is unparalleled, yes, you could crash your car but that's likely it... Would rather stack my Porsche into a wall than a civilian.
Well said^ have fun Dude, give us a report!
Old 08-22-2015, 01:27 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pel

Thx, Pel!

Originally Posted by Abby Normal
Have fun Bro! Concentrate on being smooth and fastness will come. Looking forward to hearing about how it went!
You're talkin' to the Sultan of Smooth.

Originally Posted by z06801
Well said^ have fun Dude, give us a report!
Thx z06, will do.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:20 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Th Dude
You're talkin' to the Sultan of Smooth.
ya, got that right!!

you will presumably see this after your track day ( /envy but your car is pristine, and i haven't seen as clean an example since the showroom floor circa 02 !

..and ya see, that's what i'm always talking about. I'm not so sure i could track mine if it looked like yours. let alone back it out of the garage! LOL

all kiddin aside, hope it went well, and you had trouble free fun
Old 08-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Well...it turns out that I'm the "Sultan of Chickensh!t".

The groups were broken up according to self-judged abilities...beginner...intermediate...and advanced. Every hour each group would take turns of 20 minutes each.
As I watched the advanced and intermediate groups take their turns, I saw several cars go off track. Each time this happened a huge cloud of dust would obscure the visibility of anyone behind, as well as adding sand and gravel onto the track (think "Days of Thunder").
The first run for the beginner group was done without instructors and was supposed to be a "familiarity" run. A chance to go slow and learn this dusty track. Well, several of the "beginner" group seemed quite comfortable hauling *** right out of the gate....not me.
This track is in the middle of the desert and there is very little contrast between the road and the dirt just off the track. The poorly defined surface (that had patches of sand and gravel), my unfamiliarity with the configuration, coupled with being on the track with others who wanted to go fast all conspired to shatter my confidence level greatly.
After four or five laps, I decided this was not the place for me to push the limits of my abilities.
I spoke with the instructor and took a few laps with him the next time the beginner group went out. While he was calm and positive, I was still unable to gain enough confidence to stay out there.
That said, there were plenty of skilled drivers having a great time, including my buddy in his track prepped '96 C2S.
I probably would have had more fun in a 200hp, $5000 car. While I elected to get the track day insurance, the thought of anything happening to my car was certainly a contributing factor to my hesitation.
Fortunately, I was able to hit my favorite canyon on the 2 1/2 hour ride back home. This is a road that I know intimately. After watching me sit on the sidelines all day, I think I shocked my buddy when I tore off through the twisties on the way back to Ojai.
Here's a video of the track and configuration I was running....this is not me driving in this video....this is just to show the track and conditions....
Old 08-24-2015, 01:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Well...it turns out that I'm the "Sultan of Chickensh!t".
I disagree. IMO you exhibited outstanding judgement.

I probably would have had more fun in a 200hp, $5000 car.
Likely true.

I've driven The Tail of the Dragon in many different cars, and the car that I found to be the most fun was a tricked out (but street legal) Miata.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:19 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes smart move your car is to nice for that type of treatment. If a person wants to track they should take an amount that they consider disposable and buy a second car= that's an opinion. I have a couple disposable cars and its a nice piece of mind.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:56 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

discretion being the better part of valor, applies here. wise ( non ) move here dude.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:22 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Track looks fun based on the video.

However, I'm not a fan of how this event was run. Maybe I'm just too used to the "PCA Way" but letting beginners "self familiarize" as a start makes no sense at all to me. Nor does ignoring any off track excursions in the lower groups that are occurring. I'd be quite "put off" in your situation also.

Sign up for a PCA event and give it another try sometime, you will find it is a completely different (better) experience for a first time track event. Would a cheaper lower HP car be more fun? Well, that depends, I do think from a learning experience perspective it is much easier to understand how to use "all of the capability" and progress in skill using a lower HP car. Peace of mind might be easier to attain if you put two wheels off in a $5K car vs a 996TT. I think you can absolutely have fun and learn a lot in your TT, just under the right conditions.

On another note, you've already done the two wheeled thing, maybe some time in carts would be fun? Enduro carts are all about maximizing momentum and racecraft, so you learn a lot in those at a very low cost. A Miata, as noted above, is a wonderful car to drive on a track, as is an E30 BMW, and you can rent these from some enterprising folks for reasonable prices for track day use.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dock
I disagree. IMO you exhibited outstanding judgement.
I've driven The Tail of the Dragon in many different cars, and the car that I found to be the most fun was a tricked out (but street legal) Miata.
Originally Posted by rmc1148
Yes smart move your car is to nice for that type of treatment. If a person wants to track they should take an amount that they consider disposable and buy a second car= that's an opinion. I have a couple disposable cars and its a nice piece of mind.
Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
discretion being the better part of valor, applies here. wise ( non ) move here dude.

Thanks for the support.
I'm extremely comfortable with the decision I made not to continue...no regrets. The option to return and try it again is always available. Yesterday, it just didn't feel right.
I tell ya, though, I have a new found respect for those here that do track in a responsible manner. You guys have ***** of steel.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:59 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Track looks fun based on the video.

However, I'm not a fan of how this event was run. Maybe I'm just too used to the "PCA Way" but letting beginners "self familiarize" as a start makes no sense at all to me. Nor does ignoring any off track excursions in the lower groups that are occurring. I'd be quite "put off" in your situation also.

Sign up for a PCA event and give it another try sometime, you will find it is a completely different (better) experience for a first time track event. Would a cheaper lower HP car be more fun? Well, that depends, I do think from a learning experience perspective it is much easier to understand how to use "all of the capability" and progress in skill using a lower HP car. Peace of mind might be easier to attain if you put two wheels off in a $5K car vs a 996TT. I think you can absolutely have fun and learn a lot in your TT, just under the right conditions.

On another note, you've already done the two wheeled thing, maybe some time in carts would be fun? Enduro carts are all about maximizing momentum and racecraft, so you learn a lot in those at a very low cost. A Miata, as noted above, is a wonderful car to drive on a track, as is an E30 BMW, and you can rent these from some enterprising folks for reasonable prices for track day use.
I don't place any blame with the event organizer.
However, it is likely that a more structured event would have better suited my initial track experience. It certainly would have been nice to have the instructor in the car on that initial run.
If I decide to try this again at some point, I'll likely look into your PCA suggestion. Though renting a miata for the day could be fun, too.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^ Sorry to hear about your experience. I have run with Speed District at BW in 9/2013, and do not remember anything about letting the beginning group on the track for the first time without at least a "lead and follow" session. Yikes!!! I cannot think of any group I have run with that has not run at least one "lead and follow" session.

Not a great way for the event sponsor to get guys and gals coming back to another tracking event held by anyone.

Go to BW with Speed Ventures on Sept 19th. They will be running configuration 13CW on Saturday only. SV WILL have a "lead and follow" session.

Last edited by 996TWINS; 08-24-2015 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow