Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 06:24 PM
Porsche-Suchtig
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW, while Buttonwillow is fairly wide open, there are still plenty of things to hit. I've seen just as many cars written off there as anywhere else in So Cal. Somehow cars that go off always seem to find the solid objects. Also it is quite easy to roll a car there.

Bottom line, don't let the wide open nature of the track lull you into a false sense of security. Just drive well below what you think your limits are and don't let the red mist/ego take over.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by cbracerx
Lighten up.
I am being light.

I think it is very fair to say that performance driving on a track is incredibly safer than on the street.
Define "incredibly safer".

And my data is 25 years of driving and instructing at track events.
I'm sure insurance company underwriters will take that to the bank...................... On second thought, no they won't.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:23 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 247 Posts

(aside: I see I've run into the resident arguer. Perhaps I should run all my posts thru him first to avoid controversy and the parsing of every statement I write. Or perhaps not. )

OP Dude - Back on topic. If you are interested in on track damage protection I've heard some good things about this outfit: https://ontrackinsurance.com/ - they have a $5,000 deductible so it is only useful for a really big incident. But there are many standard insurance companies that will no longer cover you on a racetrack no matter if it is driver's education or a timed event. In fact some will even drop your coverage if you ask them about it. Heinous! In PCA, the beginner groups have 100% one on one instructor coverage, which certainly can't hurt the chances of things staying controlled. As a result, I've seen very few incidents in the Green group at PCA.

You'll have a great time and might even get addicted. Just listen to your instructor, clear your head, focus and enjoy the experience.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:57 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Agree with CB and others. The only time I bought insurance is for skip barber since the car wasn't mine. Noobs are fine in the lower classes unless they drive like a maniac or don't listen to instructors. For advanced classes that is a different story and we have a giant thread going in the DE forum regarding safety and rules.
Old 08-19-2015, 07:58 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Back on topic.
Safety at the track IS on topic.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

(aside:...
Words mean things.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Th Dude
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
although in the US your regular insurance doesn't cover you, driving on a track is actually safer than driving on the road.
one important thing to remember when tracking a 911 is to not lift while the car is weighted in a corner. you will have fun. be warned: it is addictive
I learned to stay on that gas pedal through the corners ever since I sold the 928 and got into this *** heavy beast. Took me a few corners with the PSM tutor to figure it out.

Originally Posted by GT3_racer
FWIW, while Buttonwillow is fairly wide open, there are still plenty of things to hit. I've seen just as many cars written off there as anywhere else in So Cal. Somehow cars that go off always seem to find the solid objects. Also it is quite easy to roll a car there.

Bottom line, don't let the wide open nature of the track lull you into a false sense of security. Just drive well below what you think your limits are and don't let the red mist/ego take over.
Good advice. Would you mind speaking with that little devil that sits on my shoulder and whispers in my ear when I get behind the wheel?

(aside: I see I've run into the resident arguer. Perhaps I should run all my posts thru him first to avoid controversy and the parsing of every statement I write. Or perhaps not. )

OP Dude - Back on topic. If you are interested in on track damage protection I've heard some good things about this outfit: https://ontrackinsurance.com/ - they have a $5,000 deductible so it is only useful for a really big incident. But there are many standard insurance companies that will no longer cover you on a racetrack no matter if it is driver's education or a timed event. In fact some will even drop your coverage if you ask them about it. Heinous! In PCA, the beginner groups have 100% one on one instructor coverage, which certainly can't hurt the chances of things staying controlled. As a result, I've seen very few incidents in the Green group at PCA.

You'll have a great time and might even get addicted. Just listen to your instructor, clear your head, focus and enjoy the experience.
I was looking at the Lockton insurance. I'll check out the one you mentioned, too. Thanks.
Mainlining adrenaline gets addictive quickly. I used to drag knee on my Ducati 999R up the same canyon I now take the Porsche. Breaking alot of bones broke me of the adrenaline habit once. I'm not keen to repeat the lesson.
If I feel I might get hooked, I'll certainly look into your PCA recommendation, as well. I want to be around the right group of drivers...spirited enthusiasts...not hooligans.
If I get out there on Sunday and I'm uncomfortable with the situation (for any reason), I have no problem walking away.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:52 PM
996TWINS
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first session (maybe the second) will be a lead and follow to practice your point-byes and passing. The issue is when the next sessions where you find out who does and does not have any track etiquette, by blocking, over braking, over driving the car, not giving you a point-bye, etc. Pull into pit lane take a few deep relaxing breathes, and get some driving room when you pull onto the track again.

Most noobs get into trouble coming out on the front straight (either apexing too early or going too fast) get in the dirt and try to steer out of it and wind up in the pit wall on the left. Or, going into the esses after the Sweeper and finding another wall on the left.

Most apexes are late running the 13CW configuration.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:53 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

one last piece of advice: if you do by chance find yourself off the track, just press the two left pedals and let the car come to a stop. often guys want to save the turn and bring it back on track...that is where accidents usually happen at my home track Mosport.
again have fun and be safe. be sure to torque your wheels and check your tire pressure.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:19 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow

Originally Posted by 996TWINS
The first session (maybe the second) will be a lead and follow to practice your point-byes and passing. The issue is when the next sessions where you find out who does and does not have any track etiquette, by blocking, over braking, over driving the car, not giving you a point-bye, etc. Pull into pit lane take a few deep relaxing breathes, and get some driving room when you pull onto the track again.

Most noobs get into trouble coming out on the front straight (either apexing too early or going too fast) get in the dirt and try to steer out of it and wind up in the pit wall on the left. Or, going into the esses after the Sweeper and finding another wall on the left.

Most apexes are late running the 13CW configuration.
^
This is great advise and I always tell my students, never hesitate to just pit out, relax find some clear track and go back to work whether your being pushed from behind or held up no need to get frustrated.
Old 08-20-2015, 12:42 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
Safety at the track IS on topic.
Dock you are an important voice of reason on this forum and I don't ever question your knowledge or experience but I don't see it unfair to compare driving on the track with total miles driven. All the things you mention is what normal driving is composed of; nighttime, stupid people, weather, people eating, 32oz sodas between someone's legs, girls putting on makeup, men picking their noses all contribute to this. Imagine if normal driving included everyone with two hands on the wheel looking where they're going, passing only with a point by, and no intersections to run though, all in the daylight with no on coming traffic. Most of us are just saying high performance driving is safer on a track.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:12 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z06801
Most of us are just saying high performance driving is safer on a track.
Any time one nears (or reaches) the performance limits of their car, the risk goes up, especially when in the vicinity of others who are doing the same thing. I think that normally most 996 Turbo owners spend less time max. performing (or near max. performing) their cars on public roads than they do on the track.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by z06801
... don't see it unfair to compare driving on the track with total miles driven.
The number of miles driven relates to total risk exposure. For example, if PCA used an average track miles/year of 5000 (I have no idea what the average number of track miles the average track guy logs/year, just using 5000 as an example), then they would have to somehow find examples of accident rates where the exposure was 5000 miles/year on public roads (to keep it apples to apples). PCA may have done that; I asked the questions in an attempt to nail down PCA's process and data.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:40 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

apples to apples is a fair question and curious myself?
Old 08-20-2015, 03:37 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dock
The number of miles driven relates to total risk exposure. For example, if PCA used an average track miles/year of 5000 (I have no idea what the average number of track miles the average track guy logs/year, just using 5000 as an example), then they would have to somehow find examples of accident rates where the exposure was 5000 miles/year on public roads (to keep it apples to apples). PCA may have done that; I asked the questions in an attempt to nail down PCA's process and data.
I just meant total street miles should include all the hazards in driving on the street ; darkness, snow and ice, idiots, ect. I doubt the insurance companies have much data on HPDEs or care. It's a very small # to justify the effort and expense, easier to just write it out of a policy. Unless you have the data that they have the data

Quick Reply: 1st Track Day @ Buttonwillow