Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to worry about with a modified 996TT?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:57 AM
hodie21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to worry about with a modified 996TT?

Looking at a few 996TT. Some are highly modified with different turbos, tunes, injectors, clutches, etc...

What are things to look for when checking these cars out?

Are these cars more likely to detonate on me for street driving.

I have been toying with getting a 2007 c2s but want the pin you to the seat acceleration of the turbo.

I know it's always get a ppi done but most cars are too far away for me to see in person and I would rely solely on the ppi and owner information.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:41 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by hodie21
What are things to look for when checking these cars out?

Are these cars more likely to detonate on me for street driving.
nothing unusual. just that the mods were done with time proven parts that match the car and don't exceed certain power levels, generally agreed to be at/under 600 whp. nothing under that detonates, but coolant fittings are going out as they age. *some* are, though mine at 575/600rwhp aren't
Old 08-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What level of modifications are done to the car? Fully built motor....etc?
Old 08-18-2015, 03:20 PM
hodie21
Instructor

There are 2 for sale currently in the rennlist classifieds I'm looking at. Both with similar mods. Not a fully case split build. More of just turbos, intakes, ecu mods, brakes, etc...
Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

There are 2 for sale currently in the rennlist classifieds I'm looking at. Both with similar mods. Not a fully case split build. More of just turbos, intakes, ecu mods, brakes, etc...
Thats a bolt on car. It won't "break" anything per say. Nothing to really worry about besides maintenance like any other car.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Not a fully case split build. More of just turbos, intakes, ecu mods, brakes, etc...
Then the concern would be the general increase in wear and tear.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:46 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^No way around it not to say that it will be catastrophic but the more you stretch the rubber band the more likely it will break.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:50 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

I recently had a friend rebuild his 996TT motor from the case out because of a head gasket failure resulting from bolt on and software mods. One thing he found, and I saw these myself, was that the stock rods actually bent from the torque introduced from the bolt on mods and software. I was taken aback and it made me glad I've only got a mild tune on my stock car. So the level of mods can indeed produce engine damage despite only being bolt on. And that seems to come from the boost level run, even with enough fuel being supplied. So if I was buying a modded car, I would want to know just what the max boost level was and how long the car had been used with that boost level, in addition to the mod list. This may seem obvious to all the folks on this forum but for our OP this is something you need to look into.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:05 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cbracerx
I recently had a friend rebuild his 996TT motor from the case out because of a head gasket failure resulting from bolt on and software mods. One thing he found, and I saw these myself, was that the stock rods actually bent from the torque introduced from the bolt on mods and software. I was taken aback and it made me glad I've only got a mild tune on my stock car. So the level of mods can indeed produce engine damage despite only being bolt on. And that seems to come from the boost level run, even with enough fuel being supplied. So if I was buying a modded car, I would want to know just what the max boost level was and how long the car had been used with that boost level, in addition to the mod list. This may seem obvious to all the folks on this forum but for our OP this is something you need to look into.

This is a VERY rare occurrence of pushing a head gasket with bolt ons. He must of had a crappy tune and pushed the boost limit on pump gas and got detonation.

Also to bend the rods you need basically max modifications and on meth and pump or e85 or race gas. Once you go above 620wtq is when the borderline starts to creep in. I would also hope anyone buying a modded car, would know "cars" per say and do some research and due diligence on this platform on their own also besides asking questions here.

I have personally ran this car day in day out beating on it at 600+ whp/wtq and never skipped a beat before I built it. I have gone through every stage you can power level with this car and a bolt on car can easily be a safe and solid vehicle, after that not as much. Find out who tuned the car most importantly.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:10 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
...not to say that it will be catastrophic but the more you stretch the rubber band the more likely it will break.
Yes indeed.

And it doesn't just apply to modified cars, it even applies to how often a non-modified car is driven "hard", or tracked.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ exactly. ( what wm said )
Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

That's the problem with buying a modded car (and not being involved in the entire process)...you don't know where the parts came from, how they were installed and who did the tune (to name a few). If you know these things, it shouldn't be a problem. I bought my parts and tune from a reputable person and was part of the install process (not actually turning the wrench mind you...but I know who did).
Old 08-18-2015, 07:07 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
This is a VERY rare occurrence of pushing a head gasket with bolt ons. He must of had a crappy tune and pushed the boost limit on pump gas and got detonation.

Also to bend the rods you need basically max modifications and on meth and pump or e85 or race gas. Once you go above 620wtq is when the borderline starts to creep in. I would also hope anyone buying a modded car, would know "cars" per say and do some research and due diligence on this platform on their own also besides asking questions here.

I have personally ran this car day in day out beating on it at 600+ whp/wtq and never skipped a beat before I built it. I have gone through every stage you can power level with this car and a bolt on car can easily be a safe and solid vehicle, after that not as much. Find out who tuned the car most importantly.
I agree this car was pushing the envelope but was not on E85 or race gas. It was not a pro build (at least I don't think so) and the tune was probably at the outer limits. Still, the warning, and experience, is valid. Ask questions!
Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

There is an additional possibility that the modded car has been driven even harder than it might have been, in order for the driver-owner to enjoy those mods.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Thomas42
There is an additional possibility that the modded car has been driven even harder than it might have been, in order for the driver-owner to enjoy those mods.
Yes indeed.

I'd offer that instead of "possibly", it's more along the lines of "likely".

Quick Reply: What to worry about with a modified 996TT?