Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone install the Pioneer CarPlay/Android head units?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 AM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
I just installed the Kenwood Excelon DDX9902S in my 2002 and love it so far. It is apple & android friendly. My car had the bose system and factory nav. I Put the oem cubby in place of the nav disk section. My total cost was around $1070 installed.
That looks great. How is the iOS integration? I see you've got it running at least
Old 08-20-2015, 11:17 AM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm installing a new system now. kenwood dnx891hd h/u 700$ refurb unit from factory. jl audio cs-653 3 way components for door and dash 400$ nib from eBay. polk audio d4000.4 amp 225$ from factory. kicker all in one bass and a set of polk audio coaxial for fill i already had.install kit from ebay 125$ total cost with wiring connectors etc. 1450$
Old 08-20-2015, 02:23 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cbracerx
That looks great. How is the iOS integration? I see you've got it running at least
+1 to that looking great. So much better than a single-DIN unit, and probably better functionality than the current Porsche nav/ent system (why, oh why, must car mfrs think they can do this better than Apple/Google on a smartphone?)!
Old 08-20-2015, 05:07 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flohmann
+1 to that looking great. So much better than a single-DIN unit, and probably better functionality than the current Porsche nav/ent system (why, oh why, must car mfrs think they can do this better than Apple/Google on a smartphone?)!
The integration is very good and sound quality is also great with my factory bose. The apple carplay works with siri as well which is cool. It also works well with maps and spotify and itunes.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:13 PM
cbracerx
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by mannym5
The integration is very good and sound quality is also great with my factory bose. The apple carplay works with siri as well which is cool. It also works well with maps and spotify and itunes.
All good news! Oh dear, this thread might cost me money...
Old 08-21-2015, 11:50 AM
TTRider
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be perfect if I could use Google Maps, Waze, Weather Underground and Pandora with apple carplay... otherwise it sounds like the system works well.
Old 08-21-2015, 01:41 PM
mannym5
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TTRider
Would be perfect if I could use Google Maps, Waze, Weather Underground and Pandora with apple carplay... otherwise it sounds like the system works well.
Yeah i wish it worked with Waze. I'm hoping as software upgrades come more apps will become available, but we will see.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

my tech bud is putting together a setup for dbl din new wiring with the enclosure all in for a gnote. i'm just concerned i may not be able to pronounce the name of it in englais lol
Old 08-22-2015, 04:55 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts
Default anyone install the Pioneer CarPlay/Android head units?

I want to upgrade my system to a double din unit (with the IOS integration). Was told that I would need new amp, etc... Glad that is not the case, which means the sales guy at the car Stereo place I went either didn't know what he was talking about, or was trying to rip me off/oversell me. $1000-$1500 is a lot better than the $3000 he quoted me for the full system.

Now the only thing I'm struggling is what it will do to the value of my car in the long run? Will it be easy to swap the OEM Unit and Nav deck back in if I need to in the future?
- what do you guys think for my car, minerva blue 996tt - upgrade and enjoy, or leave stock and cruise with fm radio and tape deck iPhone connection, lol??
Old 08-25-2015, 09:44 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSF Cooling
I want to upgrade my system to a double din unit (with the IOS integration). Was told that I would need new amp, etc... Glad that is not the case, which means the sales guy at the car Stereo place I went either didn't know what he was talking about, or was trying to rip me off/oversell me. $1000-$1500 is a lot better than the $3000 he quoted me for the full system.

Now the only thing I'm struggling is what it will do to the value of my car in the long run? Will it be easy to swap the OEM Unit and Nav deck back in if I need to in the future?
- what do you guys think for my car, minerva blue 996tt - upgrade and enjoy, or leave stock and cruise with fm radio and tape deck iPhone connection, lol??
First off, is yours a 2001 or 2002? Because if it's 2003 or later, then you will have to work around the Bose MOST fiber optic system. That will make it expensive.

As for resale, it's always hard to tell, but I figure no one wants a 2002 cassette deck and frunk-mounted CD changer in 2015, and the double DIN flat panel units look much cleaner than the old single DIN units, which look exceedingly "not stock". As with all mods, I wouldn't expect to get my money back on resale, but I also wouldn't expect to reduce the value of the car. You can always keep the old head unit and let the buyer swap it back in.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:17 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

First off, is yours a 2001 or 2002? Because if it's 2003 or later, then you will have to work around the Bose MOST fiber optic system. That will make it expensive.
i'm being led to believe that the addition of a new harness wont be "that big of a deal" or that costly? my bud's quotes. i hope he is right, but he;s done it before.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i'm being led to believe that the addition of a new harness wont be "that big of a deal" or that costly? my bud's quotes. i hope he is right, but he;s done it before.
Let us know what the quote is when you have it. I'm sure others on the list with post-02 cars will want to know!
Old 08-27-2015, 03:25 PM
Scottie_Melancon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is the stub use to connect the phone to USB port. Phone then lays flat in cubby. Don't really need to touch it again while in the car when using Carplay.

Last weekends project. Installed a new Double DIN head unit in my 2002 996TT. The old Alpine system circa 2004 was in dire need of an update. Decided on purchasing a new Pioneer SPH DA120 with Apple CarPlay technology.

Paid $400 for system. You would also need a 996 car year specific installation kit to adapt it to your specific model. purchased the kitfor $159 from Euro Motorspeed on EBay. The kit is required to splice the new head units wiring to a supplied umbilical that connects directly to your existing Porsche wiring. It is very complete and includes high quality splice connectors, Custom fit bezel surround and support brackets.

I also purchased a rear backup camera and a couple of dash receptacles for easy access to USB, HDMI and AUX connections.

I've never installed a sound system in a car before so I wasn't sure how well this would go but gave it a shot. It turned out to be fairly easy and the end product appears very professional if I don't say so myself.

The Pioneer unit has all the basic functionality of a typical head unit, am fm, GPS, bluetooth, backup camera capable, etc.....with the added benefit of CarPlay if you have an IPhone.

The CarPlay function requires a direct connection to your phone using a lightning cable connected to the USB port. I thought this mightbe an issue for me but it's quite nice if you use a connection similar to what i used. I have a short lightning to USB stub from a key chain adapter that Iplug into the phone and then into the receptacle that is installed in the cubbybin. The phone connects easily and has a secure place in the cubby.

CarPlay with Siri voice recognition plays my music, gives me directions, searches contacts, sends and receives phones calls and textmessages without ever having to put the phone in my hands, Which is nearly impossible in a 6 speed anyway.

CarPlay is in its infancy, so expect some software glitches at this point but I expect frequent improvement and reliability with IOS updates.

Spotify and a few other 3rd party apps are currently supported but they are barley functional and really unstable.

The unit also supports full mirroring of your phone through HDMI cable by utilizing the Apple Digital AV adapter. $50.

I'm really surprised at how well the Siri voice recognition works. I can't recall a single instance when she hasn't successfully interpreted my speech correctly, even with my heavy Cajun accent. Nobody understands that ****!!....but she does.

I've been so impressed that I use Siri constantly now when I'm not in the car just to stay in practice. In the past I've held what amounted to full conversations with Siri and it usually ended with me just getting pissed at her for be incompetent. With CarPlay I've learned how to keep my request short and to the point and it turns out that's how she likes it.

It's really cool to ask her to send a text and it happens quickly and accurately. No need to touch the phone or anything. She also tells you when you've received a text and reads it to you. So you don't ever need to even look at the screen

Making and receiving calls are they way they should be.

Apple is making a huge investment in CarPlay and wants it in every manufactures car. Expect constant improvement. It's even convinced me to do away with my Spotify subscription and move on over to Apples new MUSIC subscription. Identical to Spotify in regards to content and price but it actually works great with CarPlay...Hey Siri....play me some Rush....The entire Rush catalog starts playing.....damn!!! Spotify's app sucks with CarPlay....go figure��

Next years head units are supposed to work off of built in WIFI in lieu of lightning cable, but now that I've done the install I don't see much reason to not plug it in. Reliable fast connection, gives your phone a charge and keeps it out of your freaking hands if you do the install similar to mine.

The sound is superb and works great with my OEM Bose system and subwoofer. No amp is required. Not sure how well it functions if you have the MOST system.

This was a fairly easy DIY project and I'm very satisfied with the system. If you have any questions about the system or installation, fill free to asks.
Old 08-27-2015, 09:53 PM
flohmann
Advanced

Scottie, that is pretty inspiring work. How did you manage the USB/Lighting jacks in the cubby, if I may ask?
Old 08-27-2015, 10:21 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Let us know what the quote is when you have it. I'm sure others on the list with post-02 cars will want to know!
should know a bit more in a cpl minutes! though I'm chasing down a rattle when my bud shows up..come to think of it.. if i just get the new sound setup installed i can turn down the rattle with the new volume ****!

edit: all in a pioneer dbl din 4100wx(?) whatever the cpl yr older unit is...
using my pre exiting bose sub a new amp enough to power it and he has a cpl extra focals(sp?) if needed for the doors
havent yet figured out rears beyond the sub but wiring yet... should be fairly straight fwd upgrade as explained to me,
fot a g note +/-

Last edited by "02996ttx50; 08-28-2015 at 12:20 AM. Reason: pricing

Quick Reply: anyone install the Pioneer CarPlay/Android head units?