Oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Yes, that is engine oil.

Give the engine a good cleaning and run the car in a place were you can get a good look under there. You will figure out where it is coming from.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by levijean
'03 with 46,000. I just bought it a couple months ago and a PPI indicated no notable issues at that time.

The shop changed the oil then, could the type of oil cause the leaks? It seems like pretty thin oil to me...
Probably the type of oil has nothing to do with the leak. That is I dare say any approved oil wouldn't have anything to do with leak and I doubt even an unapproved oil would.

The pics clearly show there is a leak but it is hard to get a sense of where the leak is coming from.

An experienced tech will get the car in the air and with a good flashlight and a mirror on a stick give the engine a thorough inspection to locate the source of the leak. A tech that knows these cars will know where all the common and uncommon oil leak spots are and check every one. It is often a process of elimination in finding an oil leak.

For the tougher leaks, harder to locate leaks, as Kevin suggested the shop can use an oil system dye that shows up when hit with a black light and this can help identify the exact point from where the oil is coming.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:17 AM
KHZ80
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak?

Originally Posted by levijean
I got under the car today but couldnt really pinpoint anything. I took some pics, any ideas? I still cant tell what the fluid is. Its oily but thin and has no noticeable odor.

Did you ever find out the reason for this leak?

Quick Reply: Oil leak?