Sponsored by:

Street & Track Pad

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 03:49 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Street & Track Pad

Any pad that's sufficient for double duty? Factory pads were on the way out at my last tech inspection, had the shop put in Pagid Black RS14 at their recommendation. They work well at the track, but they are quite loud for the street. Or should I just get another set of pads and swap back and forth?
Old 08-10-2015, 04:11 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I have tried every high performance street/track pad there is and on a Turbo with the HP and the weight they all fall way short in the track department. The best one by far was StopTech Street Performance pads but even they left me wanting more stopping power.

Some guys like PFC 11s for both street and track but I have yet to try them.

My advice is buy a nice set of low dust, low squeal, pads for street driving and use the Pagid Blacks or Yellow RS19s at the track.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 569 Likes on 351 Posts

go with stock...I'm thinking about picking up a set for daily duty as well. They do everything well except dust, which I'm completely fine with.

Have run my PFC 08/11 on street/track for about a year now, the noise on street-duty is horrific(the worst I've ever heard...), just re-installed my pathetically-low fiction(almost dangerous I'd say) Stoptech pads a week or two ago so its less embarrassing on the street, but might go back to the noise of PFC's as I hate the braking power of Stoptech's....or will just order up some OEM pads and call it a day.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:58 PM
TheDeckMan
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 258 Posts

You can also check out Racing Brake, they have some good compounds that are good for street/track.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:07 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Stoptech S.P. brake pads are fantastic at everything but braking, lol.
Give the PFC's a shot, fantastic on track! Huge torque with excellent modulation.

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I have tried every high performance street/track pad there is and on a Turbo with the HP and the weight they all fall way short in the track department. The best one by far was StopTech Street Performance pads but even they left me wanting more stopping power.

Some guys like PFC 11s for both street and track but I have yet to try them.

My advice is buy a nice set of low dust, low squeal, pads for street driving and use the Pagid Blacks or Yellow RS19s at the track.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

I am running the pfc 08(front) and 11(rear). most of the time they are quite quiet. they stop much better than stock. and no fade while on track. be sure to bed the different pads to the rotors.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Smoltz
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Pagids work well at the track, plenty of braking, good modulation. Seem to have plenty of capacity for heat (track I was at isn't that hard on brakes). They feel a little gritty on application compared to stock.

The noise though on the street though, it's like I'm driving an empty 50 ton dump truck.

As far as bedding, I tried the pagid recommended bedding procedure but coudln't seem to get enough heat into them. Not enough empty roads around here. The instructions are 10 stops light pressure from 85 to 45 and then 5 stops high pressure from 110 to 35. Riiiiiight.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:50 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Stoptech S.P. brake pads are fantastic at everything but braking, lol.
Give the PFC's a shot, fantastic on track! Huge torque with excellent modulation.
I gave up on the StopTechs long ago. If you think they suck you should try the CoolCarbons Street/Track pad they sell over at Pelican. Zero stopping power on track. Literally nothing. They make StopTechs feel like Pagid Greys.

I am using Yellow RS19s now. Happy with them, they work.
Old 08-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I am running the pfc 08(front) and 11(rear). most of the time they are quite quiet. they stop much better than stock. and no fade while on track. be sure to bed the different pads to the rotors.
Why the rear biased setup? I would have thought a 996 was already rear biased from the weight distribution, why not PFC 11 all around?

OP, I run PFC01's on my track car and I swear they will make you feel like a much better driver than you actually are due to the sheer force they can suck from your chest. I don't remove them for street driving, but don't drive many miles on them so the squeek doesn't annoy me much. I vote stock pads + PFC11's and have the best of all worlds (except dust)....
Old 08-10-2015, 06:54 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

996's are heavily front-skewed in braking bias...need all the stopping trque shift to the rear we can get...997's are better, will eventually do 997 rear calipers(larger pistons) to gain 'natural' hydraulic bias toward rear and be potentially able to run a matched pad compound. PFC 11's are very agressive

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Why the rear biased setup? I would have thought a 996 was already rear biased from the weight distribution, why not PFC 11 all around?

OP, I run PFC01's on my track car and I swear they will make you feel like a much better driver than you actually are due to the sheer force they can suck from your chest. I don't remove them for street driving, but don't drive many miles on them so the squeek doesn't annoy me much. I vote stock pads + PFC11's and have the best of all worlds (except dust)....
Old 08-10-2015, 07:15 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 187 Posts

All cars are skewed with front braking bias due to the forces acting on the car during braking (shifting weight over the front axles). I would have thought the 996's brakes are less skewed (due to the engine placement), as they implore the same rotor sizing front to back unlike my bmw track car albeit with less piston area in the rear.

I guess the tire contact area plays a large role with such huge huge differences in tire width. Have you run a more aggressive pad up front that resulted in unwanted tendencies prior to switching to the 08's? Just trying to learn as I am new to the 996tt. Thanks in advance!

996's are heavily front-skewed in braking bias...need all the stopping trque shift to the rear we can get...997's are better, will eventually do 997 rear calipers(larger pistons) to gain 'natural' hydraulic bias toward rear and be potentially able to run a matched pad compound. PFC 11's are very agressive
Old 08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

MOST cars, but I know what you're getting at.
996 were probably designed in the interest of 'confidence/safety' of an average street driver, when you push them they need more rear bias...again this is driver based as well...some like same pads front/rear, stock bias....
IMHO 08/11 is near perfect combo on stock PCCB calipers/disc size to help balance...when running matched pads the fronts are easy to lock while rear still isn't doing much. So far with my GT2 I've had PCCB, Stoptech pads on steel, PFC on steel.
I'll try to take a 'steel brake' 996tt out within the week to revise my memory...

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
All cars are skewed with front braking bias due to the forces acting on the car during braking (shifting weight over the front axles). I would have thought the 996's brakes are less skewed (due to the engine placement), as they implore the same rotor sizing front to back unlike my bmw track car albeit with less piston area in the rear.

I guess the tire contact area plays a large role with such huge huge differences in tire width. Have you run a more aggressive pad up front that resulted in unwanted tendencies prior to switching to the 08's? Just trying to learn as I am new to the 996tt. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:31 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

MOST cars, but I know what you're getting at.
996 were probably designed in the interest of 'confidence/safety' of an average street driver, when you push them they need more rear bias...again this is driver based as well...some like same pads front/rear, stock bias....
IMHO 08/11 is near perfect combo on stock PCCB calipers/disc size to help balance...when running matched pads the fronts are easy to lock while rear still isn't doing much. So far with my GT2 I've had PCCB, Stoptech pads on steel, PFC on steel.
I'll try to take a 'steel brake' 996tt out within the week to revise my memory...
I disagree, you are correct the 997 has less forward bias but imo the 996 is perfect. I prefer the forward bias on the 996. I do a lot of my turning under trail braking. It allows quicker rotation under braking. The 997 plows under braking and transitions more slowly. Plus I think it has more rear bias because of the traction control. This allows the electronics much more ability in brake manipulation.

That pad combo will wear the rear rotor really quickly and the rear rotor will really need to be upgraded to something larger to take the pad abuse.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:37 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

We'll have to agree to disagree
Typically, more rear bias allows the car to rotate easier and should allow greater front end transition while braking as the tire is forced to do less work, but again each driver will have a preference based on their confidence/driving style in the car/setup.
997's wear their brake pads/discs much more evenly than 996's; same size(identical part) rear discs 996(with PCCB or spacer) and 997

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I disagree, you are correct the 997 has less forward bias but imo the 996 is perfect. I prefer the forward bias on the 996. I do a lot of my turning under trail braking. It allows quicker rotation under braking. The 997 plows under braking and transitions more slowly. Plus I think it has more rear bias because of the traction control. This allows the electronics much more ability in brake manipulation.

That pad combo will wear the rear rotor really quickly and the rear rotor will really need to be upgraded to something larger to take the pad abuse.
Old 08-10-2015, 08:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

more rear bias, allows the car to rotate more when coming off the brake resulting in over steer. maybe rotating easier means more slowly under braking so it more controllable. I prefer it to do it quicker if I want to rotate more slowly I will brake with less force.

Quick Reply: Street & Track Pad