Sponsored by:

Street & Track Pad

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:10 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
Sorry if I'm thread jacking, but I'm considering a 2 day DE with PCA in October. This will be my first time on track with the 996T, I've done a few events with the Audi Club in the past. Since it's my first time on track in this car, at a new track, I think I'll be mostly focused on learning the line and smooth driving. Is the consensus that my stock pads will be OK for this? Not sure I want to spend the $500+ on track specific pads at this point.
You'll be fine. Which event are you looking at? NHMS? I've had my car at NHMS twice w/ stock pads and one of the guys I knows runs his car with stock pads there as well. NH is hard on brakes, but the 996TT brakes are pretty solid for a novice.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

My vote is against stock pads for DE days.. Another option for Street & Track Pads are Carbotechs. I use them in the dedicated race car, trips to the grocery store in the 996TT and on the track for DE days.. Small amount of noise but not too bad.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:45 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt
My vote is against stock pads for DE days.. Another option for Street & Track Pads are Carbotechs. I use them in the dedicated race car, trips to the grocery store in the 996TT and on the track for DE days.. Small amount of noise but not too bad.
I've heard good things about those, which ones are you running?
Old 08-11-2015, 12:49 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 993GT
Are you needing to trail brake to the point of lock-up to get the front end to bite in corners?
I/my GT2 have no issue with understeer the way it's setup. Adding rear bias allows me to brake later and deeper, I do not need heavy trail braking to rotate the car-a light dab will always bring in a loose front as will using the throttle...
Again, everyone's car and driving is different, use what you like
GT2 and Turbo cars probably differ as well as even a cars suspension setup and mods between similar models would differ. I've gotten used to driving with a neutral with tad understeer setup. Rotating the car with brake force in tighter corners, rather then rotating it coming off the brake and using throttle. That way when I get on throttle I can hit it full and not have to modulate throttle to prevent more chance of rotation since I have all ready rotated the car prior to getting on the throttle.

Slow in vs Fast in. I see what your saying about the later braking, the extra rear bias would stabilize the car in really deep hard braking, this is what I earlier called ploughing since I am used to a another driving style. With my cars setup sorta ploughs neutrally under acceleration where are your setup probably rotates more under acceleration.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:14 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

Yessir! absolutely!
Mine is very much oriented/setup towards neutral/oversteer in its 'natural' balance, works great when the tires work with you, but will need to soften my rear swaybar up a bit if using 'street' tires at track(Hoping more 'streetable' 315 sized DOT-R's are brought to market ...I'm bugging Tirerack about getting RT615K's), can't get nearly enough power down through the exit. Kinda drive like an oversized kart, great for technical tracks like TMP but needs more stability(a little more rear toe or less sway)/tire for faster tracks Mosport etc.
Car is very stable under braking and upon release/transition as well; car works extremely well but my current Pirelli's completely let it down...going back to DOT-R next round on-

Originally Posted by jumper5836
GT2 and Turbo cars probably differ as well as even a cars suspension setup and mods between similar models would differ. I've gotten used to driving with a neutral with tad understeer setup. Rotating the car with brake force in tighter corners, rather then rotating it coming off the brake and using throttle. That way when I get on throttle I can hit it full and not have to modulate throttle to prevent more chance of rotation since I have all ready rotated the car prior to getting on the throttle.

Slow in vs Fast in. I see what your saying about the later braking, the extra rear bias would stabilize the car in really deep hard braking, this is what I earlier called ploughing since I am used to a another driving style. With my cars setup sorta ploughs neutrally under acceleration where are your setup probably rotates more under acceleration.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:23 PM
ANJ-911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you should be fine, as always make sure you have good/bled fluid as you should be good...enjoy!
Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
I agree with Jumper, stock pads will be fine for your first time out.
Originally Posted by z06801
I would agree with everyone that you will be fine on stock pads, would just add make sure you have 50% left on them. Have fun
Originally Posted by Smoltz
You'll be fine. Which event are you looking at? NHMS? I've had my car at NHMS twice w/ stock pads and one of the guys I knows runs his car with stock pads there as well. NH is hard on brakes, but the 996TT brakes are pretty solid for a novice.
Thanks for the input and good point about having at least 50% left. I have a second set of stock front pads that have more than 50% so I'll bring those along in case and will def be flushing the brake fluid. Smoltz, I'm thinking of doing the event at Palmer, I keep hearing great things and the layout looks amazing!

I think I'll go with stock pads for my first time since I don't plan to DE regularly, probably once a year at most. If I start doing them more, I'll get different pads.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ANJ-911
Thanks for the input and good point about having at least 50% left. I have a second set of stock front pads that have more than 50% so I'll bring those along in case and will def be flushing the brake fluid. Smoltz, I'm thinking of doing the event at Palmer, I keep hearing great things and the layout looks amazing!
Palmer is great. Was just there this past weekend, third time this year. Twice with PCA, once with BMWCCA. First year really doing track events. Doing Thompson later this year. Hopefully see you around.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:00 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,221 Likes on 1,432 Posts

Are you needing to trail brake to the point of lock-up to get the front end to bite in corners?
I/my GT2 have no issue with understeer the way it's setup. Adding rear bias allows me to brake later and deeper, I do not need heavy trail braking to rotate the car-a light dab will always bring in a loose front as will using the throttle...
Again, everyone's car and driving is different, use what you like
I have my car set up very similar to yours. I just need to use a little light or medium trailbraking to get the front end to dig in well. The only understeer I get is just at the moment I am hitting full throttle at corner exit. That power under steer is a typical symptom of the four-wheel-drive system.

The reason I run the same pads front and rear on my car is because I take a lot of passes on the inside line heading into corners. In those instances with that compromised entry line I heavy trail brake and steer all the way to the apex and then get on the power as normal. This technique compromises my cornering and exit speeds very little. So the car that is now behind me stays behind me. Having the same pads front and rear allowed me to do that without the possible risk of the rear locking up and stepping out.

I have no issue with you setting up your car by accentuating the rear brake bias by using more aggressive pads back there. That technique works very well for a lot of great drivers. My only issue was with you saying that the aggressive rear pads aid the front grip. Which is mostly incorrect. More aggressive rear pads are actually taking away some potential front cornering grip achievable from maximum trail braking.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Where do you purchase the CarbonTech pads?
Old 08-11-2015, 06:22 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,702 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I disagree, you are correct the 997 has less forward bias but imo the 996 is perfect. I prefer the forward bias on the 996. I do a lot of my turning under trail braking. It allows quicker rotation under braking. The 997 plows under braking and transitions more slowly. Plus I think it has more rear bias because of the traction control. This allows the electronics much more ability in brake manipulation.

That pad combo will wear the rear rotor really quickly and the rear rotor will really need to be upgraded to something larger to take the pad abuse.
The brake bias on the 996TT/GT2/GT3 car is pretty poor and heavily skewed toward the front. Porsche fixed all this with the later generation 997TT/GT cars which have superior brakes. Porsche actually reduced the piston size on the front calipers and greatly increased the size of the rear calipers. I have run just about every combination of brakes on the 996 platform. BY FAR, the best set I've ever run in the 997GT3 380/350 brake system with the large PCCB calipers. The rear calipers are 50% bigger than the stock 996 versions. I also run the large 27mm 997GT3 master cylinder, 997GT2 cam driven vacuum pump, and PFC 08/11 brake pads. There is absolutely no comparison to the stock 996TT brakes or even the 350/350 system. Getting at much bite as you can on the rear brakes helps tremendously with rotation of the car under braking. My car only has ABS.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:51 AM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Where do you purchase the CarbonTech pads?
http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

I'm using XP8 right now and might jump to XP10 for the rears or PFC pads for next year.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:16 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

http://www.ctbrakes.com/brake-compounds.asp

I'm using XP8 right now and might jump to XP10 for the rears or PFC pads for next year.
Thanks.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:08 PM
Olemiss540
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 184 Posts

Didn't mean to start an off topic discussion on brake bias, but sure learned a lot and sounds like driving style dictates pad selection to a large extent. Thanks for the lesson!

Drew
Old 08-12-2015, 08:29 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Olemiss540
Didn't mean to start an off topic discussion on brake bias, but sure learned a lot and sounds like driving style dictates pad selection to a large extent. Thanks for the lesson!

Drew
But keep in mind and check the list of mods powdrhound cars has, in no way or shape does it resemble a stock 996tt other then looks.

Quick Reply: Street & Track Pad