Sponsored by:

996TT for Street \ Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 996TT for Street \ Track Use

I've done a few track days with my 996TT and frankly it's a bit of a letdown. I couldn't even keep up with a similarly experienced driver in a stock E46 330i through the twisty bits.

Trying to decide if I want to "invest" the $5k-7k in suspension (Ohlins DFV, GT3 LCA, etc) or just sell. Anyone else been in the same boat? Should I do the suspension mods or just cut my losses and move on? Maybe I'd be better off with a 7GT3? I've had a V8 M3 and a Ferrari 360 before among others. This car is fast in a straight line but seems to be missing something.

Thoughts?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:32 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Talk to powdrhound he does a lot of track use.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,437 Posts

What tires are you running and have you installed adjustable sway bars?
Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 AM
sd996tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tracked mine for a few years, but I have Motons, a suspension put together and tuned by GMG, and a host of other mods. It is quite a quick car on track, and extremely fun to drive. It doesn't give anything up to anything with a license plate.

But, I think that the bottom line is this: A lighter car that is designed for track use is probably a better starting point. The GT3 is a fantastic car for track use. It will cost you a bit of money to get the turbo to the same level of handling. If you do want to spend a little of time setting it up, though, the turbo has the potential to be a very powerful car that handles well and can run with most any car. It will always be heavier, but will have much more potential power.

This car was not meant to be a track car, but has the potential to be a great one. If you want a car for mostly track use, and can trade it, a GT3 is a great way to go. If you want to spend a little to set it up, you can end up with a car that will outrun just about anything out there short of a professionally tuned cup car.

Or, some good tires, mid-level shocks, and sway bars, and you are most of the way to a good dual purpose car. If I could trade mine for a similar GT3, I wouldn't. Maybe a factory cup car. Maybe.

Justin
Old 07-01-2015, 01:17 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

what seats do you have? IMO, stock comfort and sport seats are horrible for aggressive driving...best upgrade I've done is going to Euro seats
good set of track seats and basic off the shelf coilovers will make it a very competent car to track
Old 07-01-2015, 06:28 AM
Berra
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What? You can´t even outrun a stock E46 330i? 996 Turbo is not a track dedicated car but it did lap the Nürburgring in 7:56 min back in 2001. M3 E46 from the same era did a 8:22 min lap. I would assume that it would do even better with todays tire technology.

A couple more...in 2008, the LP560-4 Lambo did a 7:52 min lap, in 2007 the 997 Turbo did a 7:54 min lap.

These times are all from magazine Sport Auto in Germany, with the same driver, Horst von Saurma!

It´s easy blaming the car, you should mod the driver.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:30 AM
rnh204
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default 996TT for Street \ Track Use

I moved from a 996tt to a 997rs. But I think either something is broken suspension wise (maybe need an alignment?) on your car or you are in older tires or possibly less aggressive tires. You should be able to brake much later than the BMW and should have a lot more traction coming out of the turns.

TT isn't meant for the track but at the same time it should be quicker than most cars short of fully set up track/race cars and the occasional fast gt3 driver.

I would pass gt3s when I had my turbo. It's usually more the driver than the car. My suggestion is get an instructor that has a similar car to show you the untapped potential the car has. Maybe you'll be surprised.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:38 AM
MBR_WILL
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

convert it to 2WD like I did to mine! I love it!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
What tires are you running and have you installed adjustable sway bars?
Car is 100% stock.

Originally Posted by sd996tt
I tracked mine for a few years, but I have Motons, a suspension put together and tuned by GMG, and a host of other mods. It is quite a quick car on track, and extremely fun to drive. It doesn't give anything up to anything with a license plate.

But, I think that the bottom line is this: A lighter car that is designed for track use is probably a better starting point. The GT3 is a fantastic car for track use. It will cost you a bit of money to get the turbo to the same level of handling. If you do want to spend a little of time setting it up, though, the turbo has the potential to be a very powerful car that handles well and can run with most any car. It will always be heavier, but will have much more potential power.

This car was not meant to be a track car, but has the potential to be a great one. If you want a car for mostly track use, and can trade it, a GT3 is a great way to go. If you want to spend a little to set it up, you can end up with a car that will outrun just about anything out there short of a professionally tuned cup car.

Or, some good tires, mid-level shocks, and sway bars, and you are most of the way to a good dual purpose car. If I could trade mine for a similar GT3, I wouldn't. Maybe a factory cup car. Maybe.

Justin
Justin, this is exactly the input I was looking for. Thanks!

Originally Posted by 993GT
what seats do you have? IMO, stock comfort and sport seats are horrible for aggressive driving...best upgrade I've done is going to Euro seats
good set of track seats and basic off the shelf coilovers will make it a very competent car to track
I have stock base seats. Yeah, my left leg muscle gets a lot of exercise holding me up against the door. :-)

Originally Posted by Berra
What? You can´t even outrun a stock E46 330i? 996 Turbo is not a track dedicated car but it did lap the Nürburgring in 7:56 min back in 2001. M3 E46 from the same era did a 8:22 min lap. I would assume that it would do even better with todays tire technology.

A couple more...in 2008, the LP560-4 Lambo did a 7:52 min lap, in 2007 the 997 Turbo did a 7:54 min lap.

These times are all from magazine Sport Auto in Germany, with the same driver, Horst von Saurma!

It´s easy blaming the car, you should mod the driver.
I didn't say the Turbo was slower than an E46 330, I said it was slower through the corners. I passed that E46 330i on the next straight. I am not blaming the car, and I'm just a beginner driver, but that doesn't change the fact that the 996TT as delivered from the factory is kind of a pig.

Originally Posted by rnh204
I moved from a 996tt to a 997rs. But I think either something is broken suspension wise (maybe need an alignment?) on your car or you are in older tires or possibly less aggressive tires. You should be able to brake much later than the BMW and should have a lot more traction coming out of the turns.

TT isn't meant for the track but at the same time it should be quicker than most cars short of fully set up track/race cars and the occasional fast gt3 driver.

I would pass gt3s when I had my turbo. It's usually more the driver than the car. My suggestion is get an instructor that has a similar car to show you the untapped potential the car has. Maybe you'll be surprised.
I'm on stock suspension, stock tires (new). I can definitely brake later and I have way more traction coming out, but through a corner, a lot of understeer I'm just a beginner driver, so I know that I have a lot to learn.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoltz
I've done a few track days with my 996TT and frankly it's a bit of a letdown. I couldn't even keep up with a similarly experienced driver in a stock E46 330i through the twisty bits. Trying to decide if I want to "invest" the $5k-7k in suspension (Ohlins DFV, GT3 LCA, etc) or just sell. Anyone else been in the same boat? Should I do the suspension mods or just cut my losses and move on? Maybe I'd be better off with a 7GT3? I've had a V8 M3 and a Ferrari 360 before among others. This car is fast in a straight line but seems to be missing something. Thoughts?
The 996 TT in stock form is not suited for aggressive track use. Either mod or sell.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 AM
Berra
Pro

I didn't say the Turbo was slower than an E46 330, I said it was slower through the corners. I passed that E46 330i on the next straight. I am not blaming the car, and I'm just a beginner driver, but that doesn't change the fact that the 996TT as delivered from the factory is kind of a pig.
The Turbo is as stated not a track dedicated car. That being said, this "pig" should absolutely dismantle a 330i even in the turns. Driver error and the fact that Porsche makes the cars understeer a bit for safety reasons tend to show itself pretty fast when driving on a track. Even GT2s and GT3s understeer, not nearly as much as the Turbo but it's there.

Mod the car and be happy.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:34 AM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berra
The Turbo is as stated not a track dedicated car. That being said, this "pig" should absolutely dismantle a 330i even in the turns. Driver error and the fact that Porsche makes the cars understeer a bit for safety reasons tend to show itself pretty fast when driving on a track. Even GT2s and GT3s understeer, not nearly as much as the Turbo but it's there.

Mod the car and be happy.
How much track time do you have in your 996TT?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
Berra
Pro

How much track time do you have in your 996TT?
Not enough as I bought it 8 months ago. I have been in other cars and know my way around. I for one know that the Turbo isn't a GT2 or 3 so I don't expect that from it, but it has never let me down. Lots of people track their 997 Turbos too, and they haul ***, even in stock form.

I live by the "rule" that the car is far more capable than me, so I need to learn to get the most out of it before I can mod, but that's me.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:49 PM
Last930
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a pro Indy Car driver drive me around Road America some years ago in my '02 TT; I realized that the slowness was me....
Old 07-01-2015, 04:16 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree a good driver can make a huge difference.

Quick Reply: 996TT for Street \ Track Use