Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996TT for Street \ Track Use

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 06:02 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

Here's my experience since I've done both with previous DE/racing history..

Stock suspension with tune, exhaust and ICs:
- Fast in a straight line
- Unsafe and not predictable at high speed cornering, especially during braking, corner entry, etc..

Same track as above + coilovers w/ stiffer springs, sways, new adjustable lower control arms, toe kits, new bushings/mounts, racing seats and half cage:
- Issues above are significantly improved but not completely fixed. I imagine the RWD/GT3 upright fix would solve a lot of this but I like my AWD (we need a 997 setup).
- Limitations are now the open diff (no LSD yet), AWD setup, driver, seat time and more $ for track events. This is a slippery slope!

After thinking about this, just read all of Powdrhounds posts for good track setup advice
Old 07-01-2015, 06:25 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoltz
I'm just a beginner driver...
A very big factor.

...but that doesn't change the fact that the 996TT as delivered from the factory is kind of a pig.
The 996 Turbo was not designed to be a track car.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:29 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
The 996 TT in stock form is not suited for aggressive track use. Either mod or sell.
Or keep it and don't track it.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:34 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would not track a 996 tt personally, would go with a GT3. Powdrhound has put a lot of time and money in his to make it competitive so it can be done .
Old 07-01-2015, 06:39 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rmc1148
I would not track a 996 tt personally, would go with a GT3.
I never have, and never will track my 996 Turbo.

If I ever get the urge to drive on the track (unlikely), I'd have a dedicated track car; and it probably wouldn't be a Porsche.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dock
I never have, and never will track my 996 Turbo.
Then maybe you should save your keystrokes for another thread :-)
Old 07-01-2015, 07:15 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Then maybe you should save your keystrokes for another thread :-)
Thanks for the offer, but no.

The Turbo wasn't built to be a track car. That doesn't mean it can't be driven on the track in stock form (heck, I could drive my stock '83 Volvo on the track). It means anyone who drives it on the track in stock form has to try to be realistic about what the car can and can not do well, especially if the driver is inexperienced driving on a track (even more if that driver is inexperience with the driving dynamics of a 911).

People can pour large amounts of money into their 996 Turbo making it a better suited track car, but other very capable cars can be track tuned for far less money (with far less to lose if and when the car gets damaged/totaled at the track).

As I said, if I ever get the urge to run around a track, it would be in a dedicated track car, not in my nice 996 Turbo.

Before you spend any money modifying your car for the track, I suggest you spend money on yourself learning how to drive better.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the offer, but no.

The Turbo wasn't built to be a track car. That doesn't mean it can't be driven on the track in stock form (heck, I could drive my stock '83 Volvo on the track). It means anyone who drives it on the track in stock form has to try to be realistic about what the car can and can not do well, especially if the driver is inexperienced driving on a track (even more if that driver is inexperience with the driving dynamics of a 911).

People can pour large amounts of money into their 996 Turbo making it a better suited track car, but other very capable cars can be track tuned for far less money (with far less to lose if and when the car gets damaged/totaled at the track).

As I said, if I ever get the urge to run around a track, it would be in a dedicated track car, not in my nice 996 Turbo.

Before you spend any money modifying your car for the track, I suggest you spend money on yourself learning how to drive better.
Dock, everyone the forum knows that you know everything, no need to remind us.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scawt
Here's my experience since I've done both with previous DE/racing history..

Stock suspension with tune, exhaust and ICs:
- Fast in a straight line
- Unsafe and not predictable at high speed cornering, especially during braking, corner entry, etc..

Same track as above + coilovers w/ stiffer springs, sways, new adjustable lower control arms, toe kits, new bushings/mounts, racing seats and half cage:
- Issues above are significantly improved but not completely fixed. I imagine the RWD/GT3 upright fix would solve a lot of this but I like my AWD (we need a 997 setup).
- Limitations are now the open diff (no LSD yet), AWD setup, driver, seat time and more $ for track events. This is a slippery slope!

After thinking about this, just read all of Powdrhounds posts for good track setup advice

Thanks! Very helpful.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Should I do the suspension mods or just cut my losses and move on?

Thoughts?
This appears to be you asking for input.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

This appears to be you asking for input.
Yes, from people with track experience with their 996TT, IE. Not you.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Dock, everyone the forum knows that you know everything, no need to remind us.
Did you have any clue about what I posted before I posted it?? If so, then why did you seek input from the Forum concerning what to do with your car?

BTW, take a read of all the post here in this thread again and see how many opined, as I did, about a stock 996 Turbo versus the track. I'm not seeing any complaining from you about those posts. Why?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Yes, from people with track experience with their 996TT, IE. Not you.
Here's your original post (see below). Point out where you asked for input from only people with track experience in their 996 Turbo.

I've done a few track days with my 996TT and frankly it's a bit of a letdown. I couldn't even keep up with a similarly experienced driver in a stock E46 330i through the twisty bits.

Trying to decide if I want to "invest" the $5k-7k in suspension (Ohlins DFV, GT3 LCA, etc) or just sell. Anyone else been in the same boat? Should I do the suspension mods or just cut my losses and move on? Maybe I'd be better off with a 7GT3? I've had a V8 M3 and a Ferrari 360 before among others. This car is fast in a straight line but seems to be missing something.

Thoughts?
To answer your specific question...

"Trying to decide if I want to "invest" the $5k-7k in suspension (Ohlins DFV, GT3 LCA, etc) or just sell. Anyone else been in the same boat"

No, I've never been in the same boat (and I have already told you why). I also offered an alternative to the "invest" in the suspension or "sell" (it was the invest in yourself first thing).

It doesn't take specific track experience in a stock 996 Turbo to have a clue about tracking a stock 996 Turbo.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Scawt is correct with his advice above. To the OP, these cars stock don't make a very good track cars out of the box but can be made to be a lot of fun with a few well thought out mods for the occasional track day. The big plus is the fact that they have a nearly bullet proof engine and gearbox which is very important if you're going to beat on it at the track. The more serious you get about tracking it, the more you'll want to mod it. I would not waste money on the engine as power is not the issue. Your mod progression should include safety gear first including more supportive seats and harnesses which will allow you to focus on driving the car without having to struggle to stay in your seat. Next I would upgrade the brakes (cooling, fluid, pads) and finally the suspension which should include adjustable sway bars and more performance oriented coil overs. All of this can be done for around $5-7K for starters and the car will leave you smiling at the track every time you get in it. Last, but not least, spend a little money with a competent instructor (preferably one with race experience) that will give you some driving pointers and help you set these cars up. It's important to find someone that knows these cars. Beware of what you read on the forums as there is a lot of misinformation and sometimes bad (even unwelcome) advice. I didn't realize this until I had a pro driver take me under his wings a few years ago and completely revamp my whole car because it was so f'd up. Both the car and drive got a makeover and the difference was night and day. You can turn these cars into absolute track monsters that nothing short of a well driven Cup car will touch but it will cost money. To reduce your lap times by the first few seconds is cheap, to reduce the last tenth or two is not. You can see some of the other track oriented mods in my signature. Be safe out there and above all, enjoy the car. If you have any questions, feel free to reach out.

Last edited by powdrhound; 07-01-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:00 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

By not tracking my 996 Turbo, I'm "missing out" (?) on the chance to damage/total the car. That's fine with me.

Data point: I have plenty of fun driving my 996 Turbo on the street.

Quick Reply: 996TT for Street \ Track Use