Sponsored by:

Tires for road and track

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 03:07 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tires for road and track

I want to set my car up with new rubber that will perform well on the track and yet will maintain a good road tread for occasional rain or other road conditions.
I currently have Micheline Pilot Sports--I don't like them as they are far less sticky than the Perrelli P2's I used to have --I only track twice a year at the most, so I don't want a tire that is barely street legal--yet I want them to be vastly better for tracking than the Pilots I have on the car now.
"Cake and eat it too" kinda thing--any recommendations?
Old 06-28-2015, 03:50 PM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Michelin Pilot Cup Sports are supposed to be super close to race rubber. Benefit is rain driving, street driving and a bit longer tire life. I understand they are getting hard to find though. I've just installed Bridgestone Potenza S04's, supposed to be close according to Tire Rack. I'll let you know. I'm trying to burn up and get rid of some Toyo Proxes T1R's on the track Not a big fan of those. My Cayman S has the Michelin Super Sports OEM N spec tires. Those seem pretty grippy too on the track.
Old 06-28-2015, 04:15 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What is your track experience level? How old are the Pilot Sports on your car? In stock fitment, there aren't many tire options for summer tires, and Pilot Sport (PS2) is likely the best option. You mention 2 track days a year, if you're a beginner and doing two track days a year, you would be ill-advised to go with anything stickier until you have some experience under your belt.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

the best tire for street and track is Michelin Super Sports but they are also super expensive.
I am getting a set of sumitomos for street only (r compounds for track) but the reviews say very good on track. $520 for a set...can't beat the price and rated better than the p zeros rossos I am replacing.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:03 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
the best tire for street and track is Michelin Super Sports but they are also super expensive.
I am getting a set of sumitomos for street only (r compounds for track) but the reviews say very good on track. $520 for a set...can't beat the price and rated better than the p zeros rossos I am replacing.
I highly doubt that they're better than P Zeros.
Calling on Mark........
Old 06-28-2015, 09:07 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

MPSS are great but aren't available in factory fitment for 996TT

I have sumitomo htr z3. They are good. They make a lot of noise on the track. I'll likely replace with PS2.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

have PZero's on my GT2, PS2's on dad's TT and HTRZ3's on a E39...all good tires, like the PZero's best for performance, HTRZ3 are awesome tires for the money, give up very little performance/refinement wise but are way less expensive...PS2 are good overall but don't impress me in any particular way
Old 06-29-2015, 02:26 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2...
Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
I highly doubt that they're better than P Zeros.
lol..im running the p zeros. tough but noisier than the pss or the ps2. i've never run any other less expensive option other than ONCE hankook v12's for about a thousand miles and threw them away. i wont bother boring everyone that has endured my sniveling about THAT brush with danger..

so the p zeros not a big deal my car is noisy too. i think the michi's are best the PSS dont come in the gt2 sizing except for front which was fine paid X the ps2. the p zero's are matched in gt2 size and n rated and at least affordable at 400 per rear VS 540 per for the PS2. I'm convinced the PS2 even the PSS is a better suited tire, but not 140 better.

i dont track but i drive in conditions that mimic a run up and down pikes peak and except for the occasional outlaw pull dont see excessive speeds nor has the car seen track time under my ownership though it has been to willow springs many times while it was still dating so much of this is mitigated by the fact i'm not at 150 much but highly demanding at 60. you'd be very surprised how important tires can be even at low speeds.

i will not skimp on less than an N rated tire but am champing at the bit to at least TRY there NEW g-force bfg rival. i have a funny feeling it is a great compromise btw performance and cost at 365 per in 315/30/18.

i'm about done with my most recent set of p zero rears and since the newer configured g-force is again available, i just have to try them, in spite of my hesitation they are not an n rated tire i m rwd and NOT tracking so should be just fine.. that i am sure n rating and what it "means" is more important at +150 speeds.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:43 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

My feeling is there really is no such animal.

Buy a good set of street tires for road use and and a extra set of wheels with R compound Nittos or Toyos for the track. These two brands of R compounds are streetable enough to be bolted on at home and driven back and forth to the circuit.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:27 PM
Fastboy
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoltz
What is your track experience level? How old are the Pilot Sports on your car? In stock fitment, there aren't many tire options for summer tires, and Pilot Sport (PS2) is likely the best option. You mention 2 track days a year, if you're a beginner and doing two track days a year, you would be ill-advised to go with anything stickier until you have some experience under your belt.
I have been tracking twice a year for 5 years. This still makes me a beginner, but one with at least SOME experience. I would think that a sticky pair of tires would be better for a beginner--less sliding around. Not sure why that wouldn't be the case--can you let me know your thoughts--appreciated--thanks
Old 06-29-2015, 03:36 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

beginner wants to slide around at lower speeds to learn car control. If tires stick and then let go at higher speed than a beginner has more difficulty dealing with that. By sliding around at lower speeds you learn the physics of the car at lower (safer) speeds. Stick with street tires for now.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Smoltz
Rennlist Member

beginner wants to slide around at lower speeds to learn car control. If tires stick and then let go at higher speed than a beginner has more difficulty dealing with that. By sliding around at lower speeds you learn the physics of the car at lower (safer) speeds. Stick with street tires for now.
+1
Old 06-29-2015, 10:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,232 Likes on 1,441 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastboy
I have been tracking twice a year for 5 years. This still makes me a beginner, but one with at least SOME experience. I would think that a sticky pair of tires would be better for a beginner--less sliding around. Not sure why that wouldn't be the case--can you let me know your thoughts--appreciated--thanks
Ten events over five years would make you an intermediate driver in my region. It really comes down to how you feel about what tires are best.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
Michelin Pilot Cup Sports are supposed to be super close to race rubber. Benefit is rain driving.
MPSCs are a great track tire but are horrible in the wet.

Originally Posted by Fastboy
I want to set my car up with new rubber that will perform well on the track and yet will maintain a good road tread for occasional rain or other road conditions.
I currently have Micheline Pilot Sports--I don't like them as they are far less sticky than the Perrelli P2's I used to have --I only track twice a year at the most, so I don't want a tire that is barely street legal--yet I want them to be vastly better for tracking than the Pilots I have on the car now.
"Cake and eat it too" kinda thing--any recommendations?
While I like to do my tracking on MPSCs on both my current 996TT and previous 993, I was very happy with how MPS2s performed on my 993. I felt they had tons of grip on track for a street tire.

How much track experience do you have? What hot tire pressures are you shooting for with your MPS2s?

Quick Reply: Tires for road and track