Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upper console (sometimes called horseshoe)

Old 06-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Upper console (sometimes called horseshoe)

Anyone share this opinion? We have an interior covered in leather and then at a prominent focal point there is this big overt plastic piece in the "center" of it all.

Further, I need to do something with my specific "horseshoe" b/c its carbon, it's failing/cracking, and I don't really care for carbon there; IMHO the carbon horseshoe is just a bit too much.

1. is the upper center console different from certain years?
2. are they 1 piece or 3 pieces ...(I've seen both....how is that possible?)
3. does anyone know anyone who covers plastic bits in leather?

I think #3 is most important....if that were covered in leather that would be a nice understated look.

....or if anyone has any other aesthetic ideas let me know please...thanks

Joe
Old 06-28-2015, 12:10 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 82 Likes on 61 Posts

There are different "horseshoes"...I'm not sure of the MY for the change, ...I think it is 2002-03. >02 is 1 piece. I have seen folks paint to match the shoe, CF, but never leather. Covering in leather would be a challenge as there isn't much room. I personally like the CF, but I don't have all of the other CF you have.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:25 PM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is covered in leather. I had it off recently to look at the back of the PCM, and it's 1 piece. You have to pry it off gently using a plastic trim tool. Start at the upper corners and work you way down and across.

The leather covering on mine is very thin, and you would need the same for it to snap back in place. It would definitely require finesse to put leather on it because of all the buttons.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Default I fixed my cracked carbon fiber????

So went home last eve and pulled the "horseshoe" off to put some plasti-dip over it; just a temporary fix til I find someone to fit leather over it.

I needed to sand it so the paint would lay on evenly. I was just finishing destroying it b/c I figured it was trash anyway...could not be sold since it had such significant cracks.

BUT....after I sanded it....60 grit, to 150, to 800, to 2000, compound, polish. It looks new....cracks gone. CF restoration is literally like paint restoration...but easier b/c its thicker.

DID ANYONE KNOW YOU COULD DO THIS WITH CF? I DIDN'T. JUST FOUND BY ACCIDENT AND THOUGHT I'D SHARE. crazy!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM
wross996tt
Race Car

You are simply removing layers of the clear coat...the cracks are in the clear coat.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty
So went home last eve and pulled the "horseshoe" off to put some plasti-dip over it; just a temporary fix til I find someone to fit leather over it.

I needed to sand it so the paint would lay on evenly. I was just finishing destroying it b/c I figured it was trash anyway...could not be sold since it had such significant cracks.

BUT....after I sanded it....60 grit, to 150, to 800, to 2000, compound, polish. It looks new....cracks gone. CF restoration is literally like paint restoration...but easier b/c its thicker.

DID ANYONE KNOW YOU COULD DO THIS WITH CF? I DIDN'T. JUST FOUND BY ACCIDENT AND THOUGHT I'D SHARE. crazy!
Nice work on the correction! Coving things in leather is pretty easy. Hardest part
Old 06-29-2015, 12:10 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wross996tt
You are simply removing layers of the clear coat...the cracks are in the clear coat.
IDK is that clearcoat?? or more likely the resin CF is made with??? B/c if it's clearcoat then that is the thickest ***** clear i've ever seen.

I rubbed as hard as I could with 60, yes 60, grit sandpaper for literally one minute (b/c I didn't care it was trash to me and some of the cracks were actually raised up about 1mm in depth) and it still didn't go through.

I'm still in shock...I don't have that kind of luck. I mean how many times do you fix something by accident???
Old 06-29-2015, 12:41 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

IDK is that clearcoat?? or more likely the resin CF is made with??? B/c if it's clearcoat then that is the thickest ***** clear i've ever seen.

I rubbed as hard as I could with 60, yes 60, grit sandpaper for literally one minute (b/c I didn't car it was trash to me and some of the cracks were actually raised up about 1mm in depth) and it still didn't go through.

I'm still in shock...I don't have that kind of luck.
It is the resin from the part being pulled from a smooth mold and polished just how you have done. When carbon parts are made for weight and performance it's done differently.
Nice work on getting it back to shape! If I could find leather that matched I would try it on mine. It's pretty easy to make look good, I even did a pair of goggles for my wife in baby blue leather to match her Burton AK puffy down jacket.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:52 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

You could probably nit pick, but clear coat IS resin. The point is you are not actually touching the carbon fiber weave. If you were, the fiber would be exposed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Upper console (sometimes called horseshoe)