Sponsored by:

Went from 997stock shifter TO Porsche Oem ssk =big difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 06:43 PM
Raph82
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Went from 997stock shifter TO Porsche Oem ssk =big difference

I liked it so far precise, shorter throw shifts well however my 3rd gear grind still occurs when performance shifting / high rpm shifting ..... It's hot here in Atlanta ,heard when weather is colder if a bit more effort to shift also .

Any input/suggestions/opinions on if cable upgrade will also be suitable on helping resolve the issue ??
Thx again guys.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:54 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Are you allowing the spring in neutral to align the shifter right under 3rd gear, or are you attempting to force a "straight" move with the shifter from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, cutting diagonally across the shift pattern?
Old 05-27-2015, 07:52 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

How's olds your tranny fluid? under colder conditions it is harder to get into some gears until the fluid has warmed up, but when too hot and I mean tracking 20 min and getting hot not just outside temps. With old fluid you may experience what your asking about but if it happens right out the gate then probably the fluid is not the problem or its just really bad.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Raph82
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
Are you allowing the spring in neutral to align the shifter right under 3rd gear, or are you attempting to force a "straight" move with the shifter from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, cutting diagonally across the shift pattern?
It does come with a alignment plastic tool with the shifter i did not force it too much , I did try to leave no "give" in the neutral position.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Raph82
Instructor

Originally Posted by jumper5836
How's olds your tranny fluid? under colder conditions it is harder to get into some gears until the fluid has warmed up, but when too hot and I mean tracking 20 min and getting hot not just outside temps. With old fluid you may experience what your asking about but if it happens right out the gate then probably the fluid is not the problem or its just really bad.
Previous owner had the tranny replaced do to 2nd gear pop out,
So I'm thinking fluid still good.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Raph82
It does come with a alignment plastic tool with the shifter i did not force it too much , I did try to leave no "give" in the neutral position.
Your Porsche SSK should have a spring mechanism that is in effect when the shifter is in neutral in a released state; it's just part of the shifter design. This mechanism is there to allow the shift lever to align right under 3rd gear if you remove any input from the lever when in neutral.

Porsche shifter systems do not handle 2-3 shifts like most other manual transmission cars. In those cars, you can essentially make a diagonal straight line move from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. You're asking for problems if you do that with Porsche OEM shifters. Because of this, Porsche incorporated a spring mechanism that allows precise shifts from any gear to 3rd gear (although it really isn't needed for 4-3 shifts).

So for your 2-3 shifts, I suggest you simply use the palm of your hand to push the shift lever straigh forward from 2nd gear to neutral, pause very briefly to allow the spring mechanism to work (it will align the shift lever directly under 3rd gear), then with the palm of your hand push the shift lever straight forward into 3rd gear (grabbing the shift lever is not required. It may even cause issues if you are used to the diagonal shift that can be used in other cars). With practice you can do this quickly and spot-on accurately.

All of this is predicated on the assumption that your shifter has been properly installed and aligned.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 PM
Raph82
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dock
Your Porsche SSK should have a spring mechanism that is in effect when the shifter is in neutral in a released state; it's just part of the shifter design. This mechanism is there to allow the shift lever to align right under 3rd gear if you remove any input from the lever when in neutral.

Porsche shifter systems do not handle 2-3 shifts like most other manual transmission cars. In those cars, you can essentially make a diagonal straight line move from 2nd gear to 3rd gear. You're asking for problems if you do that with Porsche OEM shifters. Because of this, Porsche incorporated a spring mechanism that allows precise shifts from any gear to 3rd gear (although it really isn't needed for 4-3 shifts).

So for your 2-3 shifts, I suggest you simply use the palm of your hand to push the shift lever straigh forward from 2nd gear to neutral, pause very briefly to allow the spring mechanism to work (it will align the shift lever directly under 3rd gear), then with the palm of your hand push the shift lever straight forward into 3rd gear (grabbing the shift lever is not required. It may even cause issues if you are used to the diagonal shift that can be used in other cars). With practice you can do this quickly and spot-on accurately.

All of this is predicated on the assumption that your shifter has been properly installed and aligned.
Perfectly explained buddy thanks for the input .
I tried as I was installing the shifter to understand its mechanism/ design/engineering with no success . Lol
Thx again I will try this new technique .
Old 05-28-2015, 02:08 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Thanks DOCK, for the lesson. I wondered why 2nd to 3rd shifts felt awkward...like I needed to be more patient during the throw.

Quick Reply: Went from 997stock shifter TO Porsche Oem ssk =big difference