Sponsored by:

Passengers Window Has Lost It's Mind

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:26 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Passengers Window Has Lost It's Mind

I've read several threads on how the car's window drop-raise function works when the doors are opened and closed. Many of the threads discussing issues pointing to micro-switch failures that are in the door that recognize the door is open or the window is up or down.

My issue started with a battery discharge. My battery drained and after recharging it, the right side door window fails to stay down 10mm while the door is open. It drops, but raises as if the computer thinks the door was closed.

The reset/recalibration I've read about directs you to close all doors and with the ignition in accessory position or car running, cycle the windows (down and up) holding the switch for 5 seconds on each cycle. So I did that and now the window doesn't drop OR raise with doors opened or closed from either the inside or exterior passenger door handle.

Any advice before I tear into the door and replace the handle switch?

Last edited by a914guy; 05-13-2015 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:50 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by a914guy
The reset/recalibration I've read about is to close all doors and with the ignition in accessory position or car running, cycle the windows up and down and hold the switch for 5 seconds.
I have no idea if this will help you, but when I've needed to reset the 10mm window drop/rise function , I select the "auto" open function, allowing the window to open all the way, followed by the "auto" close function. I don't know if this is what you did based on your "cycle" comment above, as you can cycle the windows up/down without engaging the "auto" function of the window switch.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:43 AM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

No dice on the "auto" open/close function.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:58 AM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Could try unhooking battery for a few minutes= just a stab. Is battery good, do you keep trickle charger on when not used?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:39 AM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

The battery is good. The parking lights were left on for several days without the trickle charger attached draining the battery.

I looked through the 996TT repair manual and couldn't find the process to reset the windows. I'd love to get that process source information from another owner if someone knows where it is.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:44 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

based upon the symptoms i think you're safe to head straight for the door latch mechanism and replace. the first clue is that the window goes back up on its own. r&r the door latch, they are different l/r and that will cure it.

this is different from window regulator failure symptoms.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Try disconnecting the battery for a short time, reconnect and immediately go to the learn function of the windows.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

The only window "reset" I'm aware of involves with the key on press and hold the window lower button until the window is all the way down.

Release the lower button and then press and hold the raise button until the window is all the way up. Continue to press and hold the raise button for 5 seconds. Done.

Repeat for the other window.

As an aside, since the battery went dead, you probably want to perform an e-Gas calibration. With your foot off the gas pedal, turn the key to the 1st position and leave in this position for at least 60 seconds. Turn the key off and leave off for at least 10 seconds. Done.

I do not think the window limits are the problem. The behavior you describe is what my Boxster's passenger window was manifesting and this proved to be the big old fancy door lock module in the passenger door.

The tech pulled some error codes from the security module and these pointed to the module but when he got the module exposed he did some more quick test to confirm and when these all pointed at the module he replaced it. The symptoms were gone afterwards.

As has been offered by others, and it is a good idea, if you are very careful, you can try disconnecting the battery and once disconnected pressing the brake pedal to activate the brake lights and remove any residual electricity from the car's electrical system. Then carefully connecting the battery.

Of course, you'll have to do the window limit resets as described above along with the E-Gas calibration. But I would be surprised if this helped. My WAG is the door lock module is the problem.
Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kevin. I've done that.

The driver's door remembers even without doing the learning step. The passenger's door does nothing from the start and doing the learning process which I understand to be: hold down the window switch to a full "down" position and hold for 10 seconds, then repeat it for the "up" position also doesn't reset it.

Do I have the "learning process" correct?
Old 05-14-2015, 12:55 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Here's how I under the procedure goes. others please chime in if I have it wrong!

Lower the window completely then holding the switch for 15 - 20 seconds. Raise the window and do the same thing
Old 05-16-2015, 10:24 PM
a914guy
Rennlist Member

It's fixed....

No, it wasn't any of the micro switches, which surprised me. And the way to determined that is to listen to the door from the outside when the handle is lifted. If the door handle micro switch is working, the window tries to lower and you can hear the motor. If you can hear the motor, the next step is to carefully press down on the top edge of the window. If the window lowers the 10mm it's supposed to, the issue is cable related. The issue is most often found on the drivers door on high mileage cars where the cable has stretched and worn from use.

As we disassembled the door to do the repair, it was evident we were the first to take the panel off. There was no sign of a previous door repair or any accident damage. The regulator assembly clearly showed signs of an issue with one of the cables. I suspect at some point in the car's life a dent repair effort may have happened and this cable was accidentally kinked. I can't think of anything else that could have gotten into the door and damaged the cable. I doubt it left the factory that way.
Attached Images  

Last edited by a914guy; 05-17-2015 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:40 PM
johnlush
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich, thanks for posting this. I have almost the exact issue with the passenger side window on my new (to me) 2003. None of the reset/calibration procedures have made any difference. I suspect a cable issue as well but haven't dug into it yet. I assume you replaced the regulator assembly? Like your car, this is a very low mile (<6k) 2003. Any tricks to getting the door panel off? -John
Old 05-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Glad you found it.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Hey all.

I have the same issue on my 997.

When I open the door, it drops 10mm, then it immediately goes back up 10mm.

When I'm closing, while you're holding on to the latch, it stays down, AS SOON as you let go it goes back up immediately! Basically a fraction too soon so the door doesn't close properly. If I'm on the inside I need to lower the window, close the door then manually raise it up. It's much harder from outside. Kinda have to play with the the door handle in a way so it goes up at the right time.

Any ideas? I did the reset Windows by holding it at bottom or top for 10-15 seconds. No help!
Old 12-01-2015, 06:00 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

^ door latch mechanism. ours are a shared part 986/996. not certain if 997 is same. wouldn't think so.

Quick Reply: Passengers Window Has Lost It's Mind