Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fun while it lasted...rear ended, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 06:29 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

fully empathize with your pain and suffering. as noted above you'd be astonished at how quickly the ins co will seek to "total" the car, as they'll make more money parting it out. it has happened also to me.

the good news is they'll pay you out at TOP dollar ( as least in my case ) and that allowed me to get into another and a check in hand in less than two weeks of driving a paid for rental car.

plus there is your pain and suffering.. a few grand, which you more than deserve. with a hit such as this and requires at the very least physical therapy. i hurt for weeks after what first appeared to be a MINOR hit that "totaled" my last tt. get an atty NOW..again, sorry to hear your story. it's awful and all too common.

yes.. nice triumph. i have a 66 tr6sr flattracker xlnt choice on the bonnie.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 AM
WPOZZZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

You will be in more pain when you get up on Tuesday. Go to your doctor and get checked out, get some meds for the pain and PT if needed. I was at a stop when I got rear ended by a guy doing about 30 mph. The pain set in a couple hours later, and got way worse the next day.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

absolutely +1 on going to doctor/chiropractor/physiotherapy, at least go get manually checked + scans.
I have a big pain tolerance/low perception so didn't really notice anything, but didn't want problems down the road...
Old 05-12-2015, 11:13 AM
Baumer1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the insight and well wishes. That's the great thing about these forums.

Yes, this most important thing is that my injuries could have been a lot worse. I was guessing I might feel worse in the morning and I do- but not significantly worse- a little soreness in my chest (probably from the seatbelt) and the neck soreness has spread down my back a bit. I'm going to give my doctor a call and follow up on it.

I don't think the damage to the car is going to buff out. I really appreciate Kevin's comments. The car is a manual, but I still have no idea what is waiting for me under the deck lid. Kevin- Coincidentally, I was planning on giving you a call this week about your spring tune sale...I guess that's on hold now. Maybe I can get a rain check for when this all sorts out?

I started doing some rough math in my head and with what I can already see is damaged, plus the unknown status of the motor, I'm not sure it wouldn't get totaled. I've also got mixed feelings about that- I spent so much time looking for this exact car. Some people talk about the "thrill of the hunt"- I was completely over it by the time I found this one. At the same time, I specifically was looking for a car with no accident history and original paint, which this one was..and no longer will be.

Fortunately I had my PPI, subsequent maintenance after the PPI, and a routine service interval a few weeks ago all done at the local P-dealer and with the same mechanic whom I have a good relationship with. I also have a lots of photos of the car before I bought it from the previous owner, who also had it serviced by the same mechanic, and I've got the service records since new, so showing the condition before the accident will be (relatively) easy. I'm hoping the dealer will go to bat with me on this.

I'm a lawyer and spent many years litigating with insurance companies so I'm a little better prepared than some people might be to make sure they do what's right here. Still, I'm so bummed about all of this. I got a great deal on the car when I purchased it and I couldn't replace it for what I paid for it- hopefully the insurance company doesn't try to play that game with me.

Atrox- Thanks for the vid and the links- I needed a laugh (although the 911 crash at 5:50 made me realize things could have been a lot worse) and the links are very helpful.

I wish the bike was a Bonnie. It started out as a 1970 Tiger T100C, although it's been bored out slightly. May be my primary form of transportation for the next several weeks! Fortunately I wasn't on that at the time of the accident.

Thanks again for the advice and support everybody. I'll keep the thread updated as I work my way through this.
Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Sorry to see this.
Glad you're ok.
I'm thinking there might be some frame damage since the quarter panel went in...
Unfortunately,I have to agree with the others,that it's best to have the car totaled. It's probably the only way you'll be made whole again.
Good luck and keep us updated! Cheer up!

Old 05-12-2015, 11:53 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox
Bumper guards...curious to know if they protected you from serious engine damage.
Looks to me like the the vehicle's bumper was high enough so that it just barely clipped the top of both bumper guards. I don't think the bumper guards had a chance to protect anything.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

just a few reference pics to understand the back structure ...its a shame the other car missed the bumper beam
Having the dealer behind you is good, I'm betting the car gets repaired...mention to insurance the cars are now rising in value, might help...
Attached Images     
Old 05-12-2015, 12:07 PM
techweenie
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

You are getting good advice here, mostly. Soft tissue damage can show up a week or more after the stress (ask me how i know!). You can rehab it out, and rehab isn't very expensive, but the other guys insurance has to pay for all of it.

The 996 chassis is designed to absorb impact by progressive resistance. Your chassis did its job but it may well have made the ultimate sacrifice. The impact propagated beyond the quarter panel wrinkles you see: look at the rear door edge and forward edge of the door striker panels. Chances are, those parts 'kissed' from the impact.

The chassis can be pulled out, but honestly, you're going to have the accident on a Carfax now, and the eventual value of the car is... impacted. Many - if not most - insurance companies deny 'diminished value' claims and if this is true with the other driver's insurance, I'd be inclined to let them total the car. The alternative is a protracted battle that will enrich your attorney.

First and foremost, do not shrug off the possibility of physical injury. Pay attention to range of motion and pain and get checked out by a doctor that knows about stress injuries.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:35 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Same thing happened to the previous owner of my car, everything was fixed but it was very expensive, great thing is everything is now new, no spoiler hydraulic issues to worry about or tabs breaking off the rear tail lights.

Hope they fix it up for you, while it may be harder to sell to a someone who wants a perfect history, people that are smart know that when fixed up properly there is no reason not to buy it. Take photos of it also with bumpers off and keep the part list for documentation in case of a future sell.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:40 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would say totaled and if it was mine that is what I would hope/work towards= just an opinion.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:41 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Man bummer, sorry! If it does show its not a total loss, and does check out to be straight and the drive train is in good shape, make sure you find a Porsche certified shop and that you get all Porsche parts. Remember you are not on contract with the other parity's insurance company and you can demand Porsche parts!
Old 05-12-2015, 01:45 PM
kalyan
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Baumer1,

Sorry this happened to you. But glad you are okay.

Similar accident happened to my friend's 2006 C4S on I-25 few years ago. He got it all fixed at Prestige Collision and it looks real nice! He did not have any frame damage so that was a good thing.

Good luck!

Cheers,
-K
Old 05-12-2015, 03:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

Sorry about this. Believe me I can relate. Click on the link below to review my similar experience. In my situation, the perp had bare minimum coverage so my insurance had to pick up the bill and I got stuck with the $2000 deductible.

The court ordered the guy to reimburse my deductible. I saw about 3 or 4 $50 payments and then nothing since.

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...lue-claim.html
Old 05-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Vendetta NY
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an either it's perfect or it's not kinda guy. That car would never be right again to me, even if it were only in my head - which it probably wouldn't be.

Go for a total and get back in the hunt. There's another one out there for you.

And go see a doctor and make sure you get made whole, physically and otherwise.

-V
Old 05-12-2015, 03:40 PM
Scott.
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 16 Posts

I doubt that will total it. I had my entire left side replaced, frame straightened on a bench, etc. and the insurance didn't total it.

Quick Reply: Fun while it lasted...rear ended, now what?