Sponsored by:

Best 996 Turbo Exhaust Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:05 AM
sanyata
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
My experience with a EP stage 2 loud on a bone stock X50 K24 was that it droned badly in the 2.5k range. Gave me a headache after a 15 minute drive, couldn't wait to get out of it. I can see why Stef no longer makes that version. On the other hand, the EP stage 2 loud on my friends 997.1 has zero drone and sounds fantastic. Seems it has to do with the turbos like Stef says..
Yep turbos must be it as I have an EP2 Loud and there is zero drone with it on my K16 car. I just did a 900 mile trip and was impressed with how quiet and tame the exhaust was with sustained cruising on the freeway.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:59 AM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Worked a treat. Felt odd to be placing some weight into the car that high up but there was no way I could use the car for family runs without it, and even the drive to work was a chore with that nauseating cruising speed drone.

Dynamat works by mass damping, rather than by acoustic isolation, so you only need to concentrate it in the middle of the big resonant firewall and parcel shelf panels rather than trying to swathe the whole area in lots of it to 'block' sound. Think of it as putting a dive weight on the middle of a drum skin to dull out the drum by stopping it resonating, as opposed to smothering it under a duvet.

Less than ten pounds of the stuff was needed, with about 3 tapered layers in the middle of those panels and one over the top to smooth and tidy things. I also put a little bit on the tray that covers the ECU but it probably wasn't needed.

The REMUS always sounded great from the outside (some pit crews wondered if it was naturally aspirated) but needed that bit of help to sound good from the inside.
Any pictures of how much sheet metal you covered?
Old 05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
uschoice
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, any pictures would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:50 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I installed the Kline exhaust. Cat by-pass avenue.

For what it's worth here my impressions:

1. it's quieter at idle than stock (I know that sounds impossible) I've took db reading before and after. very strange .....but I regard that as a good thing.

2. its 5-10 db louder in the cabin above 3500 rpm; that's approaching significance IMHO. I hit 94-99 db on full throttle. 82db cruising under 3500 rpm. Any louder and I would not like this system...and I like things loud.

3. no drone, w/o cats that's kinda shocking too.... but much appreciated.

4. the sound is just okay to me, it's an improvement, but nothing revelational.

5. the build quality is outstanding

6. I feel no "butt" hp. I know, I know hp increases with an exhaust change is really really subjective and almost impossible on a virtually stock TT....BUT.....Kline claims 40hp with this...and 40 hp you should feel. Aaaaa..you don't feel anything. I sincerely doubt there is any hp gain here....IMHO

7. "Sam" the Kline sales face is outstanding though. Before money exchange AND after. He truly is first class.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridin Dirty

6. I feel no "butt" hp. I know, I know hp increases with an exhaust change is really really subjective and almost impossible on a virtually stock TT....BUT.....Kline claims 40hp with this...and 40 hp you should feel. Aaaaa..you don't feel anything. I sincerely doubt there is any hp gain here....IMHO

7. "Sam" the Kline sales face is outstanding though. Before money exchange AND after. He truly is first class.
that's completely odd, and contrary to my experience w/ kline 2.5 catless. i ran it with and w/out cats and felt the increase in both power and even quicker spool immediately as well as dramatically upon installing the cat delete section. but i have also been converted to the notion that what i "feel" means little lol, and evidentiary "data" wins the day. ( thanks wross )

but i felt it no LESS for that piece of info. i'm very surprised we didn't have a similar experience with virtually the same piece of hardware.

i really appreciated the data on the db levels. that was a great read!..

but our experience with sam is spot on. he is a godsend to me often.

great post!

add: does anyone know if it's even possible for there to be NO gain going from a built exhaust for the 996tt running 200 cell cats to catless? that on its face, seems a specious proposition, but there must be some data from kline?!
Old 07-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Here is speedtech 3" xpipe ext. Car is a big bore engine with cams, so might sound a little different. First time start up, no driving video yet. Person speaking on video isn't me, just incase if asked.

Old 07-08-2015, 03:24 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

car sounds great! and was gonna ask.. are you in bejing?! lol. anyway, great build, sounds like
Old 07-08-2015, 04:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I have to say my techart exhaust (which my car came with) is pretty awesome, no drone and not too loud, but gets loud when you step on it.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:03 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Well I installed the Kline exhaust. Cat by-pass avenue.

For what it's worth here my impressions:

1. it's quieter at idle than stock (I know that sounds impossible) I've took db reading before and after. very strange .....but I regard that as a good thing.

2. its 5-10 db louder in the cabin above 3500 rpm; that's approaching significance IMHO. I hit 94-99 db on full throttle. 82db cruising under 3500 rpm. Any louder and I would not like this system...and I like things loud.

3. no drone, w/o cats that's kinda shocking too.... but much appreciated.

4. the sound is just okay to me, it's an improvement, but nothing revelational.

5. the build quality is outstanding

Give it time, it will definitely change. Start up and WOT will get louder, and I mean a really nice raspier and deeper sound.

Well at least mine did and I'm running 200cell cats, I love the sound I'm getting inside the cabin and I'm (relative conservative) 55 years old. It makes me feel like a kid.

Like Mark, I am also surprised you didn't notice any quicker spooling or more power, I did...well at least the placebo effect increased...lol. I noticed it straight away.

But seriously it will change, mine did after 18 months or so.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

It is strange. no spooling change, no perceived increase whatsoever, must be something, well it's not slower if that says anything...ha. I just made my car louder.. But again even the "throatier" sound in itself is an improvement. But 40hp?...aaaah....no. Maybe I did something wrong? Don't think so...pretty elementary...exact fit just as Sam said tho and no bumper removal necessary.

What's interesting is my 993TT appreciated large gains with an exhaust change, night and day, all that you all mentioned, faster spooling, much more instant power.....just from headers, cat delete, and old school RSR mufflers. But the 996TTS?...nuthin.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:28 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

It is strange. no spooling change, no perceived increase whatsoever, must be something, well it's not slower if that says anything...ha. I just made my car louder.. But again even the "throatier" sound in itself is an improvement. But 40hp?...aaaah....no. Maybe I did something wrong? Don't think so...pretty elementary...exact fit just as Sam said tho and no bumper removal necessary.

What's interesting is my 993TT appreciated large gains with an exhaust change, night and day, all that you all mentioned, faster spooling, much much more power from headers, cat delete, and old school RSR mufflers. But the 996TTS?...nuthin.
Have a chat with Sam and see what he has to say, maybe your car needs a flash tune with the new exhaust to get the most out of it.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:29 PM
split71
Racer

What's interesting is my 993TT appreciated large gains with an exhaust change, night and day, all that you all mentioned, faster spooling, much more instant power.....just from headers, cat delete, and old school RSR mufflers. But the 996TTS?...nuthin.
Have you dynoed it before you put on the exhaust? Unless you have that and a dyno after with the exhaust as the only change, then you can always assume that any HP claims are 0 until you can prove it on your own car with that specific exhaust.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:23 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Certainly no regrets.
I like the sound.
I like the cat-less theory.
I like the build quality.
I like (and am almost shocked) that it really does not drone AT ALL as per "996TTx50" and Sam.
I like that "Sam the salesman" is a man of his word in every respect; he's really an enthusiast.

The only issue I have is the factory claim 40hp is just about the tallest claim I've ever seen with an exhaust on a stock vehicle....that's quite tall claim to live up to...so holding feet to fire a lil there on that.

I have Kevin's flash and it still boosts to 1.0 bar. I don't know what flash this would need but you know I think i will run it by Sam.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

I like (and am almost shocked) that it really does not drone AT ALL as per "996TTx50" and Sam. I like that "Sam the salesman" is a man of his word in every respect; he's really an enthusiast.
i could hardly believe it myself, there is "no drone" and my car has "no lag" either. a guy could see sam about that too, but i'd bet he's squirming at being in the same sentence with me LOL and no one believes much i say so from all the clownin' but yeah lol

The only issue I have is the factory claim 40hp is just about the tallest claim I've ever seen with an exhaust on a stock vehicle....that's quite tall claim to live up to...so holding feet to fire a lil there on that.
i was 525+/-550whp before i decatted so here's why i believe the hp claim. i can "feel" a 10/15% bump in available power and added tq from the car as i had it, e.g. my bolt on bs and a 2.5 catted kline..but one better would be maybe a stock car car, or even flashed running catted anything,.. then cat delete, big difference ( to me ) and if that isn't good enough for a 10% bump, i'll eat my a$$hat. i mean my recognition of the cat delete was immediate and i still recognize it though having nothing to a/b it against daily. but of course, this is all as unscientific as can be. only thing i'm troubled by is you not having a similar reaction. but we all have differently sensitivity vis a vis a$$ dyno's i suppose, so i trust your take on your own car.

I don't know what flash this would need but you know I think i will run it by Sam.
i run most EVERYthing past sam. much to his continued chagrin, no doubt. there is no more helpful guy anywhere whether he's "earning" from ya or not. i mean he'll take my calls while he's got his kid in his lap or whatever.. and can't say enough about him except he is an invaluable pal and resource and still takes my calls lol. love that guy ha.

yeah, i'd reach out. good call. sounds as if you're well on your way down "the slope"! slide well
Old 07-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Kinesis 996
Racer

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
car sounds great! and was gonna ask.. are you in bejing?! lol. anyway, great build, sounds like
Thanks, will make a seperate thread on the built.

Quick Reply: Best 996 Turbo Exhaust Opinions?