Sponsored by:

996 Turbo Oil Change DIY with Video

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 05:28 PM
acoats36
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 996 Turbo Oil Change DIY with Video

Hey guys, thought I would share a video of my first oil change. Hope you find it helpful!

Old 05-03-2015, 02:15 AM
jpflip
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 130 Posts

Thanks for sharing! Very helpful for new TT owners....Just a note, turbos drain plugs should be torqued to 22 ft/lb....
Attached Images  
Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 AM
acoats36
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great, thanks for the additional info!
Old 05-03-2015, 09:20 AM
ChemMan
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good job. I hope you will do more DIY videos for the 996TT.
Old 05-05-2015, 02:01 PM
Kevinmacd
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Good job except you left out the replacement of the small "O" ring at the based of the oil filter cap stem.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:57 PM
drh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good job on the video. More proof that we don't need to pay someone elses husband $200-$300 to change our oil.
Old 05-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 365 Posts

funny, I am doing an oil change later this week and watched your video last night...ha ha. you also had trouble pulling the fuel pump fuse
Old 05-05-2015, 10:45 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

The "996 Turbo DIY thread repository" thread at the top of this 996 Turbo forum has some real nice DIY links.
Old 05-05-2015, 11:07 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it really necessary to pull the fuel pump fuse?
Doesn't the oil pressure build up a second or two after it's started?
Plus it's a dry sump system, so after filling it with oil, shouldn't it be about the same delay in building pressure as when it's left over night?

I'm going to do my first oil change on it soon and the shop manual makes no mention of pulling the fuse. I feel like there is more harm done by pulling the fuse and running the engine lean as it runs out of fuel, rather then just waiting a second or 2 for full oil pressure.

By the way, nice video. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2015, 03:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Video is definitely a great DIY tool. Good job.
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 PM
highlander
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by up4speed
Is it really necessary to pull the fuel pump fuse?
Doesn't the oil pressure build up a second or two after it's started?
Plus it's a dry sump system, so after filling it with oil, shouldn't it be about the same delay in building pressure as when it's left over night?

I'm going to do my first oil change on it soon and the shop manual makes no mention of pulling the fuse. I feel like there is more harm done by pulling the fuse and running the engine lean as it runs out of fuel, rather then just waiting a second or 2 for full oil pressure.
I was thinking the same thing.
Reading this and other forums, there appears to be 2 schools of thought on this. The "pull the fuse" school and the "no need to pull the fuse" school.
Unfortunately, these appear to be based more on opinion than science.

Does anyone have evidence (other than "I do it with/without pulling the fuse and have never had any trouble") that indicates one method is better than the other?

My thoughts are to go with the "pull the fuse" school. By turning the engine over, but not allowing it to actually run, priming all of the voids in the oil channels and passages that cause the initial low oil pressure is all done with zero load on any of the bearings just feels like it would be better.
But then, that's just my opinion and worth every penny you paid for it

Originally Posted by up4speed
By the way, nice video. Thanks!
Agreed. Great video -Thanks!
Old 05-10-2015, 02:33 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

I am waiting for someone to record and post a vid, showing how loud the lifters and valvetrain sound on start up after what I call a DRY start.. Fact, at idle/ start up the turbochargers are tuning around 20,000 RPM's... there is little to ZERO oil pressure for seconds. The spring loaded checkvalves haven't even opened on the turbochargers> due to the lack of pressure. The result is accelerated thrust wear in your turbochargers.. I have seen it.. Bronze metal being transferred on to the steel thrust stack washers.

Why take the risk.. It's night and day difference between a primed engine start vs a non primed start. My only recommendations (to the video) is to prime the engine longer.. 10 seconds or until you see at least 2.5 to 3 bars of oil pressure.

And "no" the start up is not the same vs leaving the car in the garage over night. The oil has been drained, oil siphons out of the galley's and lines. Air fills the void. The oil has to compress and fill the lines and galley's (time)..
Old 05-10-2015, 06:03 PM
Thomas42
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kevin - would this be true (the turbo starting up without oil) if you did not drain the turbo oil? I'm tempted not to bother draining the turbos between the factory recommended intervals since it is such a small amount.

Tom
Old 05-10-2015, 07:29 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin
I am waiting for someone to record and post a vid, showing how loud the lifters and valvetrain sound on start up after what I call a DRY start.. Fact, at idle/ start up the turbochargers are tuning around 20,000 RPM's... there is little to ZERO oil pressure for seconds. The spring loaded checkvalves haven't even opened on the turbochargers> due to the lack of pressure. The result is accelerated thrust wear in your turbochargers.. I have seen it.. Bronze metal being transferred on to the steel thrust stack washers.

Why take the risk.. It's night and day difference between a primed engine start vs a non primed start. My only recommendations (to the video) is to prime the engine longer.. 10 seconds or until you see at least 2.5 to 3 bars of oil pressure.

And "no" the start up is not the same vs leaving the car in the garage over night. The oil has been drained, oil siphons out of the galley's and lines. Air fills the void. The oil has to compress and fill the lines and galley's (time)..
Well I guess that answers my question. I guess pull the fuse it is.

Originally Posted by Thomas42
Kevin - would this be true (the turbo starting up without oil) if you did not drain the turbo oil? I'm tempted not to bother draining the turbos between the factory recommended intervals since it is such a small amount.

Tom
This is a good point. I'm also curious
Old 05-10-2015, 07:33 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 304 Likes on 210 Posts

Here is a riddle Tom....

Condition 1 is everytime you start your engine
If you were to remove "a" drain plug from the turbocharger reservoir sump tank, and start your engine > How long will it take in "time=seconds" to see oil streaming out of the sump tank drain hole??

Condition 2 Fresh oil change with no engine prime..
If you were to remove "a" drain plugs from the turbocharger reservoir sump tank, and start the engine right after a fresh oil change (not priming your engine=did not pull fuse) How long will it take to see the brand new engine oil streaming out the drain hole..

Conclusion, in the end, one person might care, the other person does not.. Similar can be said, about hot shut downs when driving these cars.. Those that want to idle the car down for 20, 30 or 45 seconds and those that cant' be bothered with it...

To get to the point, what is the acceptable time in seconds will you wait to see the stream of oil? Or does one care...

Quick Reply: 996 Turbo Oil Change DIY with Video