Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone gone from a 993 C2 to a 996TT

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 03:28 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

too short!? 993 is the best lookin 911 ever but the 991 look doesn't bother me much either
Old 04-30-2015, 05:17 PM
5ive0
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove a 993 C2 for a month a couple years ago and when I compare it to the 996tt these are my observations:

1/both equally fun to drive. Can't peg one above another on fun alone.

2/ The crazy power in the 996tt is incomparable, but that alone doesn't make it more fun, because you can't floor it for as long. And the 993 still feels powerful

3/ The 996 is much more confident in the twisties, or at least i am more confident in it, not sure why I feel like this. but I didn't fully trust the 993 at the limit.

4/ I hated the look of the 996, but now that I own it, I love it. I think once it becomes more of a classic in 10 years and farther removed from modern styling, it will be loved again.

I would sell the 993 now, and get a 996tt, no question you will miss the 993, but thats what happens when you move on. Plus, most people say the values will still go up, but there are other schools of thought that say they will plateau and sit where they are for some time.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:33 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Sold my 993 last fall to be able to buy my current 996TT. I had been wanting a 996TT for many years now and the price delta was now in my favor. Well, actually wanted a 6GT3 but prices not coming down on those like the 6TT. Put up my 993 on Rennlist and had it sold within 4 hours. Turned around and put a deposit on my 996TT the same day. When all said and done after paying for the 996TT, taxes and registration I still had had a few grand in my pocket from the sale of the 993.

Do I miss the 993? Sure I do. I had my first opportunity to get the 996TT out to the track last weekend which is where I like to use my fun cars. Overall, I did not feel faster in the 996TT and in reality I probably wasn't. Sure the 996TT has the power to rocket down the straights but my 993 was pretty dialed in for the track and made up for lack power in the more technical sections. I was much more confident in the 993 than I am now in the 996TT. A friend of mine has a 997S and I used to be a little faster than him in my 993. Now I can just hang with him. I'm sure that with more time in the saddle and more track tuning I will become more confident in the 996TT. I had 10 years of experience in the 993.

I know this may sound silly to many here, but the 996TT is a real gas hog on the track. One 20 min session would use over 1/3 tank. I was getting around 6.5 mpg on track. When at a track not close to town this means spending 3x cost for gas at the track to keep going and to make it home. I could go all day on a tank at the track in the 993.

But, after a long day at the track the 996TT is a much better place to be for the ride home than the 993. Much more modern and comfortable yet still somewhat old school by today's standards. I can still hear the whir of the 993 when I listen to the melody of the 996TT's Mezger.

One bonus is the wife likes the overall looks of the 996TT better than the 993. She always thought that being in the 993 was like being in an old Bug.

Overall no regrets doing what I did. I'm sure that someday I'll regret selling the 993. Much like my dad probably regrets selling his '68 Road Runner he bought new. I sometimes regret selling my mint E36 M3/4 to buy the 993. But a good friend of mine said it best when he said that I needed to increase the list of cars I regret selling. The 996TT will be on that list someday.

Now, to watch 997TT prices get into the low 40's.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:00 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

you haven't lived until you've had yer *** end swing fully 45 degrees in a 993 and snap back
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM
996tnz
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I'm sure that with more time in the saddle and more track tuning I will become more confident in the 996TT.

I know this may sound silly to many here, but the 996TT is a real gas hog on the track. One 20 min session would use over 1/3 tank. I was getting around 6.5 mpg on track. When at a track not close to town this means spending 3x cost for gas at the track to keep going and to make it home.
Been tracking and racing mine for 5 years now so getting quicker. It's mostly about fixing or driving around the 996 Turbo's understeer that comes with all wheel drive. Setup and driving tips:

- Max negative camber (about -1 stock out front and -1.5 rear IIRC) and zero front toe or even a mm or two out. A few mm of toe in each side at the rear for stability under braking.

- Trailbrake to help her turn in.

- Mentally aim a few feet inside of your track out point when picking your exit line from the apex, then let the loud pedal carry you wider to meet the exit strip.

- These things have epic power so a later apex approach suits them well and dusts most cars on the straights.

- When you get comfortable with her and want maybe an extra second a lap, turn off PSM. PSM pours a lot of cold water on your corner exit roll-on when pushing it. But be ready with fast hands and a dash of gas if you get too greedy for speed as her backside will try to play swapsies with her nose.

I know what you mean about the Turbo being thirsty. Be warned too that the car can't directly read the last third of the tank so just guesses for the gauge. I have run out of fuel on track 2 or 3 times because of this. You just can't trust the gauge when it matters. And at sustained full throttle she'll empty her 65 litre tank in about 20 minutes. On track it can still get down to almost 30 minutes.

I now buy all my fuel off track. I got hold of two 5 gallon plastic fuel cans and flattened their handles down with the help of a heat gun so they both fit in the front trunk. You could actually fit 3 cans in there if you wanted to. Just remember not to crash on the way to the track.

Last edited by 996tnz; 04-30-2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:46 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

great post ^
Old 04-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Van1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 996tnz
Been tracking and racing mine for 5 years now so getting quicker. It's mostly about fixing or driving around the 996 Turbo's understeer that comes with all wheel drive. Setup and driving tips:

- Max negative camber (about -1 stock out front and -1.5 rear IIRC) and zero front toe or even a mm or two out. A few mm of toe in each side at the rear for stability under braking.

- Trailbrake to help her turn in.

- Mentally aim a few feet inside of your track out point when picking your exit line from the apex, then let the loud pedal carry you wider to meet the exit strip.

- These things have epic power so a later apex approach suits them well and dusts most cars on the straights.

- When you get comfortable with her and want maybe an extra second a lap, turn off PSM. PSM pours a lot of cold water on your corner exit roll-on when pushing it. But be ready with fast hands and a dash of gas if you get too greedy for speed as her backside will try to play swapsies with her nose.

I know what you mean about the Turbo being thirsty. Be warned too that the car can't directly read the last third of the tank so just guesses for the gauge. I have run out of fuel on track 2 or 3 times because of this. You just can't trust the gauge when it matters. And at sustained full throttle she'll empty her 65 litre tank in about 20 minutes. On track it can still get down to almost 30 minutes.

I now buy all my fuel off track. I got hold of two 5 gallon plastic fuel cans and flattened their handles down with the help of a heat gun so they both fit in the front trunk. You could actually fit 3 cans in there if you wanted to. Just remember not to crash on the way to the track.
Thanks for the tips. Recently had the car aligned and they set it up with -.3 front and -2.1 rear. Service advisor forgot to tell the tech that it had X73 suspension and he used US 996TT figures. Except for the rear where they couldn't get more positive than -1.9 anyway. It will be going back in to have the front dialed in some more. I will have them max out the front (hopefully getting more than -1) and turn the rears more towards -2.5.

Aside from the handling, which wasn't too bad, was the braking. I have calipers from a RUF 996 turbo and 350mm rotors all around (essentially a GT2/3 setup with the 6 piston calipers in the front) and was using Performance Friction 06 pads all around and Motul RBF 600 fluid. Hauling down from 130mph to make a 60mph turn in a short time was a bit of a challenge as I was into ABS the entire time trying to slow down. Had to hit the 'I believe' button that it was going to happen. I was using MPSCs in stock 225/295 sizes and believe that the 225 front is entirely too narrow for hard braking in this heavy car. Speed before braking at same corner in the 993 was probably 8 mph less but much more solid in braking. And I could go farther in with the 993 before braking (could make up lots of time on faster cars here). Had to lift much earlier and start braking earlier in the 996TT. Of course, the 993 was lighter and I was using a 235 MPSC on the front. I do think that is where I was losing most of my time over the 993 was in braking. 996TT got into ABS too much.

I do have a yet to be mounted trailer hitch for my 996TT which I will be using to haul my Southsport tire toter. Can see about getting some gas cans to fit in the tool box section.

Old 05-01-2015, 04:29 AM
kiwi 911
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ I need more details on this trailer hitch??

Comparing the cars on the track is not really relevant to James - as he will mostly use it as a daily driver.

For a daily driver / hi-way cruiser - the 996TT is far superior.

On the track it's hard to say as you never see stock cars on the track. In stock trim a 993 is probaby quicker over 8 laps as a 996TT in stock trim will cook the road tyres with it's weight and they don't turn in. In track trim - it's anyone's game depending on mod's - but it is surprising the 993 can hold it's own given the HP difference??

It comes down to what is in your heart and makes you smile when you walk into the garage??

Would you smile less with a 996TT over a 993?
Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Van1
I know this may sound silly to many here, but the 996TT is a real gas hog on the track.
I don't know about "many", but there is at least one (me).
Old 05-01-2015, 07:05 PM
Van1
Drifting

Originally Posted by kiwi 911
^^^ I need more details on this trailer hitch??
The one that I had for my 993 was a Da'lan hitch that I had bought used from a Rennlister many years ago. Sold it last fall after selling the 993. Da'lan is no longer around but Curt makes the same hitch. Below is my for sale add from last fall with some pics. In post #2 I put a link to a Curt hitch for the 993.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ler-hitch.html
Old 06-01-2015, 04:43 AM
Kiwi Carguy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I thought I'd update you all on my decision to hold onto the 993. I'll likely upgrade to a GT3 at some stage as I think it probably suit me better.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a 993 C2 to a 996TT