Sponsored by:

Anyone use R888 on their street car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:47 AM
oldturd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
900wtq will show a NON R compound tire traction issues all day. Not everyone is the same.
rcomps have stiff sidewalls, which are good for lapping day/hpde/circuit usage when there are lots of lateral loads etc.

if you need a sticky street tire to roll race, get a drag radial or the equivalent. softer sidewalls and you'll hook up better.

it doesnt make sense to run an rcomp on the street just because you have big power.

just my thoughts.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:11 AM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dock
Good question.
For me it's convenient just to run a R compound late spring to fall. The turbo is not my primary track car, but ends up on the track offen. I instruct for PCA, NASA( if I'm not racing) and other groups, so it's nice to have some tires on the cars for those days. Sometimes giving a student a ride in the upper run groups is really helpful and the race car doesn't have a right seat. I go with the nt-01s.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:34 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 766 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by z06801
For me it's convenient just to run a R compound late spring to fall. The turbo is not my primary track car, but ends up on the track offen. I instruct for PCA, NASA( if I'm not racing) and other groups, so it's nice to have some tires on the cars for those days. Sometimes giving a student a ride in the upper run groups is really helpful and the race car doesn't have a right seat. I go with the nt-01s.

But the question was "Is there someplace you're driving on a public road where ultimate grip is an issue?"
Old 04-21-2015, 03:26 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Go with NT01

I Just put on a set of NT01 in the same sizes you're considering and love them. They actually ride a little softer then the worn out PS2s they replaced and are quieter but they do hum a little, especially on smooth asphalt. My pss10 setup is set on the stiff side and these tires are nicer around town on Seattle roads which are similar or worse than your areas. The steering is not quite as razor sharp as on the Michelins but the Nittos are on a lower cold pressure. They are fine on wet roads if warm and I can't wait to run them at the track. I probably would have got PS2s if they were available since my fronts were fine. Will be interesting to see how many miles of daily & track I get out of these.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:59 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

Everyone has different needs, soem guys make ton of hp/tq and they require ultimate grip on the street so the car stays planted while others take their car out on Sunday and do 55. Yes the 888's make ton of noise but they work well if you have proper alignment they last a good amount of miles. You Michelin Sunday driving fellas what do you get out of them, mile wise?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:09 PM
z06801
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But the question was "Is there someplace you're driving on a public road where ultimate grip is an issue?"
No, difinitly not. I can see the guys with big power wanting the traction, but a good street is fine and actually a bit funner even in canyons, if anybody is driving past he limits of a 180 tread wear tire on the public roads they're driving to fast or Beyond their abilities. That said my summer tire will stay a R compound. I like them and around here we do have a few roads where it's safe to push it a bit. The need for "Ultimate" grip to me means driving at 10/10th which I only do on a road course. With the power some of these guys make they a sticky tire just to use partial throttle up a onramp everyone's needs are different.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:12 AM
Tuxiemama
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, I thrash my car quite a bit and have a private housing estate road where I can safely and privately do 0 - 130 mph or so runs and I want grip.

I am really starting to hate the Toyo R888s though... very fickle when it comes to changes in psi with temperature
Old 04-23-2015, 11:01 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tuxiemama
Yes, I thrash my car quite a bit and have a private housing estate road where I can safely and privately do 0 - 130 mph or so runs and I want grip.
But race911's question is..."Is there someplace you're driving on a public road where ultimate grip is an issue?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:06 AM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

But race911's question is..."Is there someplace you're driving on a public road where ultimate grip is an issue?
The answer is yes......

https://instagram.com/p/1rRRO8EP_7/
Old 04-23-2015, 11:09 AM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So racing on public roads....got it.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 103 Posts

nevermind getting owned by a family sedan...
Old 04-23-2015, 11:14 AM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blockhed
nevermind getting owned by a family sedan...
I won the race by 2 cars and I was on 15psi lol, that "family sedan" is 855hp and 975tq lol. You should possibly educate yourself before you make an uneducated comment.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wealth Manager
You should possibly educate yourself before you make an uneducated comment.
??
Old 04-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Wealth Manager
Rennlist Member

??
Blockhed was saying I got owned by a family sedan. He doesn't realize (uneducated) the power those cars can make modded to the full extent (twin turbo v8 modded, 855hp and 975tq on pump gas , he was also on race gas, unknown exact power level). Plus Blockhed is uneducated on the power level I was at and makes a ridiculous comment about me getting owned when I won the race. Lol. Which then explains my response.

I don't mind the difference of opinion on street racing as long as comments are made in an educated manner and outlandish responses need to be rebuttaled to be corrected.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:52 PM
Dock
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

So in your opinion he should get educated and then make an uneducated comment (reference your statement..."educate yourself before you make an uneducated comment").

As for street racing, the educated answer would be "it's against the law, and if someone is killed it can result in manslaughter, negligent homicide, or vehicular homicide charges, which if convicted carries severe penalties; potentially years of jail/prison time".

Here's a recent case that represents what can happen in legal terms; a four-year prison term:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/pa...406-story.html

And before someone points out that speeding is also against the law (and we all likely break the speed limit at times), the penalty for a speed-only violation (that is, no person other than yourself died as a result of your speeding, because if they did you'd be back to manslaughter/negligent homicide/vehicular homicide) doesn't approach years of prison time. The difference between the two illegal behaviors is the seriousness of the punishment if convicted.

Quick Reply: Anyone use R888 on their street car?