Notices
996 Turbo Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can cause the Tiptronic transmission to bang into first gear when downshifting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 08:12 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What can cause the Tiptronic transmission to bang into first gear when downshifting?

I started another thread describing a few issues that I was trying to sort out with the car (the running rough on a cold start thread). I also have an issue where the transmission bangs hard into 1st gear when I downshift as I'm rolling slowly. If I'm at a stop, it's ok and if I'm rolling faster than 5 or 6 MPH it's ok. However, it has a violent knock that feels like a bad transmission mount when I'm in between those speeds. I mentioned it in the other thread and thought that I fixed it after I changed the engine and transmission mounts (along with other stuff) because it didn't bang into first gear for a few drives after I did all that work (maybe had something to do with disconnecting the battery).
Unfortunately, after putting a few more miles on the car, it now has the same problem again! My car is a 2001 only has about 19,000 miles on it and has been doing this since I got it with 17,500 miles. Other than this one issue, the transmission feels 100% perfect. Is this possibly normal? If not, any ideas on what it could be? I wanted to start another thread since this is a very specific problem.
Thanks!

Last edited by up4speed; 04-16-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:05 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,445 Posts

Are you sure it is going into 1st? It should only drop down to second gear once the car is warmed up.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:49 AM
rabbit1445
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From all that I have researched in the past, this is an entirely normal characteristic of these tiptronic transmissions. Typically it will clunk into first if you are at a slow roll or decelerating. If you are stopped, or under acceleration and shift into first, no clunk should be present. From what you describe, it sounds completely normal to me.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:59 AM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Are you sure it is going into 1st? It should only drop down to second gear once the car is warmed up.
It goes into 2nd on its own, but I hit the steering wheel button to drop it down to 1st gear.

Originally Posted by rabbit1445
From all that I have researched in the past, this is an entirely normal characteristic of these tiptronic transmissions. Typically it will clunk into first if you are at a slow roll or decelerating. If you are stopped, or under acceleration and shift into first, no clunk should be present. From what you describe, it sounds completely normal to me.
Yes it's perfectly smooth in every other circumstance except what I described. It concerned me because it's a violent enough jerk where I fear that I'm going to lose my transmission out of the bottom of the car!! It makes me cringe when it happens. It made me get in the habit of only putting it in first gear at a complete stop.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:30 AM
quick968
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

On my first 03' Tip, I was told by my dealer tech you're not supposed to put it into 1st unless at a full stop. Normally, in auto mode, the car starts off in 2nd gear anyway unless you manually pull into 1st for the quick launch. Once moving, lowest gear used should be 2nd, the engine has so much torque, 1st just isn't needed. I'd strongly urge you to stop forcing the Tip into 1st gear other than at stop lights. I don't even downshift my 6 spd to first other than in "under 15 mph" stop and go freeway traffic. Others may have differing opinions.

Cheers
Mikey
Old 04-17-2015, 04:50 AM
mcbit
Drifting

I don't do it that often but mine has no issues going into first.
Old 04-17-2015, 08:31 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i swear this sounds just like the 6spd dsg box behavior on my gti lol.

op i don't have a tip but have driven a few. i am willing to bet it's normal. just stop putting it into "1st" with the wheel buttons, and as stated it'll default to 2nd from a standing start unless you pre-select 1st.

it and most more modern semi auto transmissions dont like being there, and the clunk might well be their way of letting you know lol. also, might want to give some thought to the last time that trans was serviced flushed etc. as i understand its a mbenz contraption so i'd over follow the service recommendations obessesively. you dont want to have to open THAT up ever if possible!
Old 04-17-2015, 09:04 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,445 Posts

I would have the Tip fluid level checked as a precaution and then I would stop downshifting into 1st unless stopped.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:18 AM
up4speed
Instructor

All the advice sounds good, I just thought that it was strange that it can switch smoothly into 1st when driving quickly (10 mph) or at a stop, but if I'm creeping slowly it bangs into gear. It doesn't always do it either, it's random. I don't know how to duplicate it.
If it's normal I don't mind, because as mentioned, I have no need to switch into first unless I want to do a hard launch. I just wanted confirmation that it's normal.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:37 PM
ReidN
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is normal. Don't shift into first unless you are at a complete stop.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:55 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know I wouldn't be dropping it into first in the manner you speak of= not worth a blown tranny for a race unless your that serious and consider it collateral damage.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:34 PM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

there are times in my vw i ensure i'm in 1st as i want to ensure i'm getting around whomever might be in the next lane or whatever evasive manouever i'm anticipating has the jump on the person next to me. i wouldnt call that a "launch" but a flashed etc gti fwd will get rubber in about 3/4 successive gears lol. it's actually a gas, if not a bit juvenile. but it suits me on the occasion i do "it". in a vw no less LOL
Old 04-17-2015, 04:53 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

Yea but if you break it you will have it repaired knowing that it probably wasn't the best idea lol. My point is you are willing to take the chance for the giggles but most people don't realize the possible outcome.
Old 04-17-2015, 05:45 PM
up4speed
Instructor

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
there are times in my vw i ensure i'm in 1st as i want to ensure i'm getting around whomever might be in the next lane or whatever evasive manouever i'm anticipating has the jump on the person next to me. i wouldnt call that a "launch" but a flashed etc gti fwd will get rubber in about 3/4 successive gears lol. it's actually a gas, if not a bit juvenile. but it suits me on the occasion i do "it". in a vw no less LOL

Just to make it clear, I'm talking about putting the transmission in 1st while at a slow roll. I don't feel that it is abuse in any way, and I also didn't think it should knock that hard (hence my question). It's not like I'm downshifting and the revs go shooting up. At the speeds I'm talking about, it basically stays at an idle.

Last edited by up4speed; 11-25-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 06:04 PM
rmc1148
Drifting

I have had GLIs and they are great fun! Maybe someone with a TIP will try what you are suggesting and give feed back.

Quick Reply: What can cause the Tiptronic transmission to bang into first gear when downshifting?