Sponsored by:

100k mile car question about CarFax.

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 09:20 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
ppi guarantees... nothing lol i drove mine for five minutes plopped down cash. I'm on my 2nd one. you know what works and what doesn't by then lol
I agree with you but at least a PPI has the potential to point out issues that your not aware of. Plus this car was across the country....
Old 04-19-2015, 10:44 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by iotapi322
I agree with you but at least a PPI has the potential to point out issues that your not aware of. Plus this car was across the country....
well i agree, that SOMEone should "look" at the car esp if it's miles away. but ive been reading for years about items ( serious ) items missed during PPI's as if having once done they are some mythical assurance all is well. when all it means it is an "inspection" lol.

hell, i bought a cpo'd car from porsche that has 2nd gear popout. do we really thing they "knew" it had that issue? cost pcna 8/10 grand to fix THAT sh*t lol.

they just said? "gee thats wierd, what did I do to the trans! we've never heard of this before". i swear that was their beginning stance and i wasn't havin any of it. as i had to battle pcna years earlier. i know their tricks.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:15 PM
highlander
Instructor

A thorough PPI is like a CarFax.
If there is something wrong, it's find it. However there is no guarantee that everything is OK.

My old Boxster had 2 accidents. One my fault that required suspension work, one a parking lot drive away that was just sheetmetal. Both were fixed by reputable shops and paid for by my insurance. Carfax when I traded it was 100% clean!

My '02 TT had a PPI done by the local Porsche dealer. It was totally clean, apart from a weak battery that was replaced before I purchased the car. Within one month and 500 miles of ownership, the airbag light came on, the interior door handle latch broke, the passenger door has developed a rattle, the cover on the upper passenger seatbelt mount fell off and finally, it developed a bad misfire at high revs and WOT.
Now, almost a year and 4000 more miles later, no further issues.

Buying any used car is a bit of a crapshoot. A good CarFax, PPI and maintenance records will weed out the worst candidates, but the more miles, the bigger the repair/maintenance kitty needs to be.

As always of course, the above is IMHO and worth every penny you paid for it
Old 04-19-2015, 08:53 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

Originally Posted by highlander
A thorough PPI is like a CarFax. If there is something wrong, it's find it. However there is no guarantee that everything is OK. My old Boxster had 2 accidents. One my fault that required suspension work, one a parking lot drive away that was just sheetmetal. Both were fixed by reputable shops and paid for by my insurance. Carfax when I traded it was 100% clean! My '02 TT had a PPI done by the local Porsche dealer. It was totally clean, apart from a weak battery that was replaced before I purchased the car. Within one month and 500 miles of ownership, the airbag light came on, the interior door handle latch broke, the passenger door has developed a rattle, the cover on the upper passenger seatbelt mount fell off and finally, it developed a bad misfire at high revs and WOT. Now, almost a year and 4000 more miles later, no further issues. Buying any used car is a bit of a crapshoot. A good CarFax, PPI and maintenance records will weed out the worst candidates, but the more miles, the bigger the repair/maintenance kitty needs to be. As always of course, the above is IMHO and worth every penny you paid for it
It's good advice and for e record it's a moot point. The car was sold on Friday night. Probably for the best.
:-)
Old 04-19-2015, 10:15 PM
highlander
Instructor

There are lots of TT's available, but the price does appear to be heading slowly upwards. Don't know if this is a seasonal thing or if the "best kept secret of performance cars" is becoming less of a secret

Good Luck with your continued search!

Quick Reply: 100k mile car question about CarFax.