Sponsored by:

Replace my shocks or go for coil overs.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 10:50 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by James88
I had H&R coil overs on this car below and found that the lower I had them the stiffer they were. Are you able to lower it any further to see if it stiffens it up for the track.
That makes sense, I have the rear at max height so there is a lot that it can be lowered to. All though I'd have to roll my fenders to accommodate the 315's on the rear. Hmm track tomorrow. Gona find out if it is ok then if it handles well I might just leave it alone. They ride is very smooth and might be a good setup for the rough tracks we have here.
Old 05-08-2015, 11:00 PM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
That makes sense, I have the rear at max height so there is a lot that it can be lowered to. All though I'd have to roll my fenders to accommodate the 315's on the rear. Hmm track tomorrow. Gona find out if it is ok then if it handles well I might just leave it alone. They ride is very smooth and might be a good setup for the rough tracks we have here.
Good luck tomorrow.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:01 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Well after 2 days the H&R coilovers were excellent and very street compliant, they worked fabulously at the track. I think they are better then the PSS9's that were on there before.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:38 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Well after 2 days the H&R coilovers were excellent and very street compliant, they worked fabulously at the track. I think they are better then the PSS9's that were on there before.
are those the H&R rss coilovers? i'm either those or simply the bilstein b8's that jim spoke of. congrats on your choice. nothing worse than a cpl grand only to find it isn't suitable for ones needs.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:12 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
are those the H&R rss coilovers? i'm either those or simply the bilstein b8's that jim spoke of. congrats on your choice. nothing worse than a cpl grand only to find it isn't suitable for ones needs.
Yes the RSS coilovers.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:54 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

I rode with jumper and his setup is great for the track. I rode with him in his c4s years ago and he has really improved to be a great driver. He must be putting down low 130s at mosport!
Thanks again for the ride Greg.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:31 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 1,003 Posts

The H&R RSS coilovers are soft enough for the street. They are low though. I have rear a max height and it is still super low. If your wondering if they are to stiff they are not. I would like them a lot stiffer. Wouldn't bother with the H&R street version unless you want more height.
Both the RSS and street version of the H&R coil overs will give you the same very low ride height. They are both identical kits except the valving is stiffer on the RSS version along with stiffer springs. The rear height is the limiting factor as that is what you max out. H&R gives you very specific ride height specs so there is not much room for adjustment, maybe 1/4" or so. With that said, these kits are probably the best bang for the buck out there. I ran these several years ago. Great product for 90% of users out there... My only gripe was that they were under sprung, especially the front end. I prefer a square set up..
Old 05-12-2015, 02:39 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Very pleased it worked out for you and thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by powdrhound
Both the RSS and street version of the H&R coil overs will give you the same very low ride height. They are both identical kits except the valving is stiffer on the RSS version along with stiffer springs. The rear height is the limiting factor as that is what you max out. H&R gives you very specific ride height specs so there is not much room for adjustment, maybe 1/4" or so. With that said, these kits are probably the best bang for the buck out there. I ran these several years ago. Great product for 90% of users out there... My only gripe was that they were under sprung, especially the front end. I prefer a square set up..
Thanks for chiming in powdrhound.
Would you say it would be too low for dd, I currently have ROW suspension which is similar height to x73. Would you say the HR RSS are way under sprung and too soft for very spirited driving through a lot left/right bends. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what do you mean by "prefer a square set up" ?
Old 05-12-2015, 04:28 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=James88;12275051

Thanks for chiming in powdrhound.
Would you say it would be too low for dd, I currently have ROW suspension which is similar height to x73. Would you say the HR RSS are way under sprung and too soft for very spirited driving through a lot left/right bends. Excuse my lack of knowledge but what do you mean by "prefer a square set up" ?[/QUOTE]

The ride height will be essentially what a stock GT2 would be, maybe a shade less. The RSS will not be under sprung for street use, even the street version is OK and I tracked it for about a year. Soft, but OK for the occasional DE. From what I recall, the RSS kit has about 400/900 spring rates which is a good street/track compromise but allows a lot of nose dive due to the squishy front springs. By square rates, I mean I prefer pretty much even front to rear spring rates. I run 1400 front and 1500 rear but my car is mainly track. These rates are inline with that Cup cars run. A square set up will set the car up to understeer a lot more and forces you to enter turns faster so that you can rotate the car under heavy trail braking. It's ultimately a faster set up but not one conducive to driving through turns under throttle which is what most drivers do. Hope that helps...
Old 05-12-2015, 05:18 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

The ride height will be essentially what a stock GT2 would be, maybe a shade less. The RSS will not be under sprung for street use, even the street version is OK and I tracked it for about a year. Soft, but OK for the occasional DE. From what I recall, the RSS kit has about 400/900 spring rates which is a good street/track compromise but allows a lot of nose dive due to the squishy front springs. By square rates, I mean I prefer pretty much even front to rear spring rates. I run 1400 front and 1500 rear but my car is mainly track. These rates are inline with that Cup cars run. A square set up will set the car up to understeer a lot more and forces you to enter turns faster so that you can rotate the car under heavy trail braking. It's ultimately a faster set up but not one conducive to driving through turns under throttle which is what most drivers do. Hope that helps...
Yes big help, thank you.
Would you know what spring rates are in my car now with the standard from factory ROW suspension. Just need to gauge the difference between mine and the RSS.
Old 05-12-2015, 06:23 AM
"02996ttx50
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i have found oem mo30's and for the money ( maybe all corners 1400 ) and what i do with the car running on springs, it just can't be beat. my quandary is i also have access to a VERY low mileage gt3 coil over setup which i would then take the plunge and finish my damn rwd with the stubbed axles proper uprights, then go to 6 pots etc etc....

or i just stay with new mo30's which i absolutely love. a quandary for sure. ya see what ya started james? lol. only reason i haven't done all that is in the back of my mind i keep thinking there may be some benefit to my being able to go back to awd in ten minutes in case i did decide to get into a 997.1t. which if not a gt3 would be my next upgrade. sorry jim... 2 am ramble.....
Old 05-12-2015, 06:45 AM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James88
Yes big help, thank you.
Would you know what spring rates are in my car now with the standard from factory ROW suspension. Just need to gauge the difference between mine and the RSS.
ROW is generally a bit lower and stiffer than the Stock suspension. My guess is 10-15% stiffer. Stock spring rates are something like 180 front and 340 rear which would make ROW 200/400, give or take. The H&R street coil over kit is 260 front (linear) and around 500 rear (progressive). There is really no way to quote an exact number for a progressive spring. Race springs will be linear by the way.. Cheers...
Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by "02996ttx50
i have found oem mo30's and for the money ( maybe all corners 1400 ) and what i do with the car running on springs, it just can't be beat. my quandary is i also have access to a VERY low mileage gt3 coil over setup which i would then take the plunge and finish my damn rwd with the stubbed axles proper uprights, then go to 6 pots etc etc....

or i just stay with new mo30's which i absolutely love. a quandary for sure. ya see what ya started james? lol. only reason i haven't done all that is in the back of my mind i keep thinking there may be some benefit to my being able to go back to awd in ten minutes in case i did decide to get into a 997.1t. which if not a gt3 would be my next upgrade. sorry jim... 2 am ramble.....
2 am hey, up late Mark, its currently 7.45pm Tuesday winters night here.
997.1 TT would be nice that's for sure, I can understand your indecision with upgrades if your considering going down that path.
I'm guessing I must have the same mo30's as you and yes it is a great set up.
I recently had a new alignment and seems to be performing a lot better but there's always that niggling question in the back of my head that it could be that little bit better. Now I'm rambling.....good night Mark.

Last edited by James88; 05-12-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:04 AM
James88
Three Wheelin'

ROW is generally a bit lower and stiffer than the Stock suspension. My guess is 10-15% stiffer. Stock spring rates are something like 180 front and 340 rear which would make ROW 200/400, give or take. The H&R street coil over kit is 260 front (linear) and around 500 rear (progressive). There is really no way to quote an exact number for a progressive spring. Race springs will be linear by the way.. Cheers...
So the RSS kit at about 400/900 spring rates is a lot stiffer than than the street, good to know and thank you.
Cheers
Jim
Old 05-12-2015, 08:19 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I rode with jumper and his setup is great for the track. I rode with him in his c4s years ago and he has really improved to be a great driver. He must be putting down low 130s at mosport!
Thanks again for the ride Greg.
np, it was a lot of fun. Rarely do I get a passenger.

Quick Reply: Replace my shocks or go for coil overs.